Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Quick check in. Ohio hunting has been very slow with the high temps. We walked into the stand two days ago at 80 degrees for example. It’s been quite boring short of seeing a fisher and a beaver from the stand.

Not a surprise, day movements have been slow in PM. Short burst of activity all does and 1.5s in AMs. Yesterday we got a very mild cold front. One buck we did have some confidence in ended up breaking off his G2 and G4 the evening before. He got a pass as we sat all day yesterday to push luck on this minor cold front (high of 60). Cams have shown good action at night lol short of the busted up buck.

We decided yesterday to leave for Missouri Wednesday and try to hunt a huge monster cold front coming in Friday AM. Going from 71 to 37 for the HIGH. 

New job starts 21st and I have no PTO. Tough decision but I relegated to taking the first good buck I see here in Ohio. NY has been a disaster with our properties too. I haven’t seen a 2.5 yo in nearly three weeks. 

All day sir was slow. Saw one deer tail 60 yards out in brush in AM and nothing at all til 3 when a spike came in and left 20 min later. 4:30, this guy came in and I made a shot at 30. Just barely saw him go down but it was the “I think” he went down that I saw so we waited. He died where I last saw him. High slight quarter to but got both lungs and exited through liver. 9 point with a split brow. Had backstraps for a very late dinner after him dying in 6-7ft multiflora. I’m happy with him due to the slowness of the season. We definitely need to work on property access next year in NY and get more work done here in Ohio. 

Onto Missouri after tonight’s sit.

DBB83F75-019F-4A8E-A554-98A5C6982554.jpeg

• Like 39

2 bucks and 5 does/fawns this AM so far. Decent 8 almost got a hole in him but at the last second the doe he was interested in decided to go a different direction. Watched them for 20 minutes, he rubbed trees and made scrapes the entire time. Small 6 came by awhile ago and headed straight toward the combine that's chopping right now 50 yds away. I'm in all day again, hopefully something else wants to cruise today.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I put this in the "other" forum, but:. I've been in since 530, switched stands at 7 because I didn't like the wind swirl at the first.  At 8 a shooter crossed logging road into a pine bedding area at about 150 yards.  Grunted at home I think he had a doe with him.  It's pretty thick in here and the shadows were stark at the time.  Stayed put hoping he'll come out for an acorn snack soon and maybe check this scrape to my left.  Staying in until 1 then a quick break.

12 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I put this in the "other" forum, but:. I've been in since 530, switched stands at 7 because I didn't like the wind swirl at the first.  At 8 a shooter crossed logging road into a pine bedding area at about 150 yards.  Grunted at home I think he had a doe with him.  It's pretty thick in here and the shadows were stark at the time.  Stayed put hoping he'll come out for an acorn snack soon and maybe check this scrape to my left.  Staying in until 1 then a quick break.

He's probably still fairly close!! Hope he gets closer!!!

Watched 6-8 does feed for the last 1/2hr about 200yds away. Fawns included. Tells me the rut hasn't started yet in 9r. If it has I would of thought the fawns would of been kicked aside and a buck would of been somewhere but no. Definitely a weird year this year

27 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

Watched 6-8 does feed for the last 1/2hr about 200yds away. Fawns included. Tells me the rut hasn't started yet in 9r. If it has I would of thought the fawns would of been kicked aside and a buck would of been somewhere but no. Definitely a weird year this year

Psst, it's started.

Got a late start this afternoon to get down here to the Park and our farm and one of the few cameras that are not directly to my phone told the tale. This is actually a new guy on the scene. Going to be an interesting few weeks chasing these awesome animals daily. Of course I had to freshen up that scrape with some fresh smell from my ladies at home. 

DE7BA5C7-13B9-4DD1-98F1-FB3F6D68948F.png

DB0BBB08-19C5-45A7-8C4B-F4346C60F9F5.png

• Like 5

Helped track a small buck tonight.  Hunter had minimal blood and thought he hit high, so he called for help.  Me and my neighbor helped him track.  Shot was a little high but still got both lungs.  We found him within 100 yards.  I was rewarded with the heart and enough backstrap trimmings for a sandwich tomorrow.  Pumped to get out there in the AM, forecast says 27 degrees. 

C2FF93A9-BE9A-4077-8391-7BC437E30266.jpeg

• Like 5