Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

I sat in a stand between two bedding areas in somewhat of a funnel yesterday from 8:15 till dark. I had a big 3pt come from behind my tree and walked directly under my stand and straight away for no shot. This was at 2:15 in the afternoon. No chasing seen, no grunting heard.  I have about 1.5 days left to hunt before the regular season opens. 

Misses and I went out yesterday afternoon 8W. It was a bitter sweet afternoon , I had what im pretty sure was the wide 6 I’ve been after come in to right at 3:00 . Couldn’t see him but could hear him , after about 4-5 mins I felt the wind ever so slightly shift and hit my left side of my face and yep he bounded off . Wife she had a lot of action , had a buck chasing and challenging another buck right before end of legal light.
She didn’t get a solid look but she said it was at least a 6, maybe a spike snd 2 does , at one point the doe were directly  right behind her. At this point it was too dark to shoot and this ladder was in a pine tree. So at 5:40 I radio her that I’m packing up and she tells me she’s still got deer all around her. 
So instead of her getting busted climbing down out of the stand I decided to slowly walk up the dug rd.  and push them off . The big doe was not happy and blew for several minutes . We didn’t get out of the woods till 6:20 . This is a first for the wife to see chasing going on and she was pretty excited . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Misses and I went out yesterday afternoon 8W. It was a bitter sweet afternoon , I had what im pretty sure was the wide 6 I’ve been after come in to right at 3:00 . Couldn’t see him but could hear him , after about 4-5 mins I felt the wind ever so slightly shift and hit my left side of my face and yep he bounded off . Wife she had a lot of action , had a buck chasing and challenging another buck right before end of legal light.
She didn’t get a solid look but she said it was at least a 6, maybe a spike snd 2 does , at one point the doe were directly  right behind her. At this point it was too dark to shoot and this ladder was in a pine tree. So at 5:40 I radio her that I’m packing up and she tells me she’s still got deer all around her. 
So instead of her getting busted climbing down out of the stand I decided to slowly walk up the dug rd.  and push them off . The big doe was not happy and blew for several minutes . We didn’t get out of the woods till 6:20 . This is a first for the wife to see chasing going on and she was pretty excited . 

Mint!  It’s cool when they finally get to see what turns out gears for all these years. Keep her at it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

I sat in a stand between two bedding areas in somewhat of a funnel yesterday from 8:15 till dark. I had a big 3pt come from behind my tree and walked directly under my stand and straight away for no shot. This was at 2:15 in the afternoon. No chasing seen, no grunting heard.  I have about 1.5 days left to hunt before the regular season opens. 

Are you still spending some time on the East side of the park?  Word around the West side is their talking about doing another winter Cull to lower the numbers?  I would like to know how they get their numbers. 

35 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Are you still spending some time on the East side of the park?  Word around the West side is their talking about doing another winter Cull to lower the numbers?  I would like to know how they get their numbers. 

You and me both.. I can usually always get on the deer but this has been the worst year yet.. this is my 4rth day and havnt seen a deer yet..

3 minutes ago, ncountry said:

You and me both.. I can usually always get on the deer but this has been the worst year yet.. this is my 4rth day and havnt seen a deer yet..

We were wondering how you guys were making out. Will prob be over to see ya’s at the cabin tonight. Few seen on the park down in no mans land of course and the cam’s up in the campgrounds have shown some movement and the farm only has really 1 to get excited about.  That’s kinda why I was wondering how the East side was looking but that river as we know is not even a blip for them to cross. Would love to hear those in charge speak their peace. Up around Castile and the special hunting area has plenty as always. 

• Like 3

Bumped 1 going in.  Didn’t stay long felt my back pop this morning but didn’t have to much pain getting ready but by 8 my back was locked up I had to practically crawl out of the woods.   Trying to get my back in order to hunt but last time it popped like this I tore a ligament in my lower back so hoping not a repeat

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Bumped 1 going in.  Didn’t stay long felt my back pop this morning but didn’t have to much pain getting ready but by 8 my back was locked up I had to practically crawl out of the woods.   Trying to get my back in order to hunt but last time it popped like this I tore a ligament in my lower back so hoping not a repeat

Oh man that’s sucks, I feel for ya from one bad back to another . It never happens at a good time that’s for sure. 

• Like 1

Took a different route to work this morning and glad I did.  I got a chance to watch a really nice 3.5 to 4.5 year old  8 point trailing a doe.  He was hot behind her but stopped in the middle of a cornfield not 100 yards from my car, lifted his head, and stood there pretty as a picture.  
A great way  to start the day! 

Edited by New York Hillbilly

8 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

We were wondering how you guys were making out. Will prob be over to see ya’s at the cabin tonight. Few seen on the park down in no mans land of course and the cam’s up in the campgrounds have shown some movement and the farm only has really 1 to get excited about.  That’s kinda why I was wondering how the East side was looking but that river as we know is not even a blip for them to cross. Would love to hear those in charge speak their peace. Up around Castile and the special hunting area has plenty as always. 

It's been an off year so far on the east side as well.  I don't have anything to get excited about on cams for once. I covered a lot of ground early in the season, scouting to find a good area to concentrate on and have yet to find it. I'm not seeing any big rubs, very few rubs and scrapes compared to years past. I've seen a few doe fawn groups and a couple of young bucks.  I see them eating bushes and other vegetation. There are zero acorns again this year so maybe most of the deer wandered off to corn fields somewhere? My hopes of seeing a shooter are lower based on the sign I've seen so far, but I'll keep plugging along and put in an all day sit again this Saturday.  

I've had some great hunts non the less. It's great to be out there and you never know what you'll see. 

Good luck to you guys and keep in touch.

• Like 1

The neighbor started cutting his corn Tuesday as I pulled in this afternoon he was making his last pass. I figured with the storm coming in and the fresh cut corn I'd see something. One squirrel was it. On the ride home I saw the backside neighbor and he said at last light a buck outside his ears and tall, at least an 8 crossed his field and was headed up into the woods I'm in. Hoping he hangs in there until Saturday but not seeing any doe I have my doubts.

Pretty good day for me in the woods. This morning I saw a doe and three bucks in one property in 8N. One buck gave me shot  ten yards , which I miss. My crossbow bow limb hit the tree and it mess my shot. This evening I went to another property in 8H.  I see a doe coming up the field and it disappears. 15 minutes later , I see six does coming up the lane and they head into another lane that I couldn’t shoot. Eventually, two decided to come back into my shooting lane. I took took the biggest doe of the two.  Like always praising God for this harvest :) 

9D27FE8E-1143-4648-971B-DEFE8C9C9543.jpeg

• Like 24

21 hours ago, ncountry said:

Downwind edge of brush lots. Just keep cycling, heat and dry leaves has them bottled up but totally breeding. 

I am in for the last 3 hours of daylight plus 15 minutes.  It’s past the mid-way point of my crossbow season, and that ends my “fussy” archery hunting.  The first antlerless deer, or 3-1/32” unicorn that presents a good shot, is going to draw a bolt out of me.  

My parents have been seeing a large bodied deer come out and feed on this clover plot, every other evening, for the last month.  I’m hitting this stand today and tomorrow to up my odds.  

I’d be out of buck tags right now, had I not been so fussy, passing a chip shot at a spike buck on the first Sunday morning of gun season up north, and a 4-pointer, on the first Sunday morning of crossbow down south.  

I am not overly concerned with the light rain that’s falling.  The tree umbrella is doing a good job of keeping it off of me.  I am not too worried about recoveries either.  I heard or saw (4) of the (5) bucks that I have shot and killed with this Barnett Recruit crossbow and mechanical broadheads crash.  

The one that I had to blood-trail, about 100 yards, probably would have gone down closer had I not reused one of my old broadheads after a feeble re-sharpening attempt.  I’ve got a brand new laser-sharp one on now.  
85384FCF-7B85-4966-ACBE-4DB9B1C9F833.thumb.jpeg.9e21e8f81e1975963c0f680add15c3b2.jpeg

• Like 1