Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

51 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Had half a tree fall this morning 10 feet from me. Only excitement so far

I had that happen quite  a few yrs ago , it was behind me and I just braced myself in the stand hoping it wasn’t coming my way . It will defiantly make one pucker . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

Just now, Just Lucky said:

Had half a tree fall this morning 10 feet from me. Only excitement so far

Interesting you mentioned a Tree Falling , directly across from my ladder stand is a dead tree about 50 ft. tall and when the wind blows it rocks and I keep hoping I'm not in the stand when it finally keels over !

Cold and windy here. Might be a top 3 day for being cold in all my days in the stand. Steady 15 mph with gusts higher. 24 supposedly but the wind is tough here. 

Spike came in and did a teardrop 360 around my tree feeding. Watched several does bed 150 yards away and eventually a buck came by and got them on their feet. Buck was a border shooter but I didn’t want to take the shot with the weather conditions and not being all in on him. One of the four seemed to be in cycle. She led him into a patch of timber (maybe 1/2 acre) and wouldn’t run from him. They got out of sight due to elevation changes. The other does spread out and bedded.

Intended to sit all day but warming up in truck with a cup or coffee and lunch and heading back in soon. Dropped my hunting partner off at camp to cape his buck and on the way back we saw two B&C bucks on trailers already. The county check in station is close by so we get to see them often. The amount of height racks have in the area is impressive. They’re never the widest bucks but wow are they ever heavy and tall.

We only heard five shots all morning with the first at 8:20. Might get snow Monday night. We will see.

Edited by phade
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, wolc123 said:

99512921-BA4C-4097-89DA-C1AA621EB620.thumb.jpeg.8804f75fc5e3f16d805eab33125fdf43.jpeg

still breathing but very shallow breaths and no movement.  I guess I’ll try and hold its head down with my crossbow and stand on it lungs.  I just don’t want to get bit.

The only good one is a dead one. That shot should have took him right out by the looks of it. Fixed or mechanical?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Four Seasons said:

The only good one is a dead one. That shot should have took him right out by the looks of it. Fixed or mechanical?

It is a 100 gr 3 blade nap spitfire mechanical.  It hit him right where the spine and shoulder blades meet and paralyzed his front legs.  I never heard one bark like that. He sounded exactly like my neighbors old German Sheppard.  

He dropped very easily, but he sure died hard.  When I walked up on him, about 10 minutes after shooting him,  I had to hold his head down with the stock of my crossbow, and stand on his chest almost 10 minutes, before he finally stopped breathing. 

The problem was, that all that bone in that spot stopped the broadhead before it could do much cutting .  That little Recruit was only launching bolts at 300 FPS, when it was new, and it’s probably down to 275 or so now.  40 yards is about as far as I’d shoot a deer with it.  That yote was right at 40 yards, per my laser range finder.  I lasered him, as he was brake dancing in circles, with the bolt sticking out of his neck.  

My neighbor has trapped lots of them and he’s going to start trapping harder now.  I can’t believe there’s any deer left back there, with all those coyotes around, but he said that his son in law missed a nice buck back there this morning.  

It sure would have been nice to have had a repeating firearm back there this morning.  That way I could have maybe taken out more than one of them vermin.  Hopefully, my neighbor can trap a few more.  

Now I’m pissed! Just had a little 3 point buck come running from behind me and I could tell be chased but not sure by what. 

then here comes a big redbone or bloodhound mix along with a beagle mix older hound.  

I leaned out of the pop up blind and gave them hell and the beagle turned tail and left, but the big red hound totally ignored  me and is up here running and baying with every step locked onto that buck.  

That hound and whoever owns him is gonna be getting a visit tomorrow.  This is a small community and it will not be hard to locate them.  In meantime I’m done for this afternoon.  

People who let their deer chasers loose unsupervised to terrorize the woodlots should not own dogs. 

urghh! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well I had a shooter 8 come across a 100 acre hayfield and right in the open. Walk like he couldn’t care less. I’m in a tree about 30 yards in woods. He looks like he’s heading up the mountain but once he hits my woods he turns and walks toward me. I sprayed some tinks when he was on other side of wall. He gets to 40 yards and needs to clear one last branch, he winds me and turns and slowly trots up and away. They don’t get big by being easy to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Now I’m pissed! Just had a little 3 point buck come running from behind me and I could tell be chased but not sure by what. 

then here comes a big redbone or bloodhound mix along with a beagle mix older hound.  

I leaned out of the pop up blind and gave them hell and the beagle turned tail and left, but the big red hound totally ignored  me and is up here running and baying with every step locked onto that buck.  

That hound and whoever owns him is gonna be getting a visit tomorrow.  This is a small community and it will not be hard to locate them.  In meantime I’m done for this afternoon.  

People who let their deer chasers loose unsupervised to terrorize the woodlots should not own dogs. 

urghh! 

Yup. To bad you didn’t have time to get pic’s. No argument when you have the proof. 

25 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Yup. To bad you didn’t have time to get pic’s. No argument when you have the proof. 

Agree! My freaking phone would not allow pics. It kept saying do I want to manage my pictures.  So after I posted here I started trashing pictures and it will let me take a pic but not video.
Every time I hit video my phone freezes and I need to delete more pictures to get back to where I can at least do that.   

At 4:20 the buck comes running by again now from the opposite discretion with both hounds in pursuit but they stayed inside the edge of the woods.  

So I think they now have a split and are on two different deer.  I figured if I could snap a pic like you said it would be better than nothing,  but if I could have gotten video it would be game over for these two.  I was not able to get either in the end  

Im headed to the house and they are still pounding up here! 

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

My guess arrow closer to the opener and now infected. They keep wounds pretty clean when they can reach them. I’m afraid this guys days are numbered on a graze. 

IMO, wound looks too big and ragged to be an arrow.  A tear from another bucks antler while fighting would be my guess.

• Like 2