Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Been a long 24 hours. Thanks to Grampy  for the help and guidance via phone and text. Ultimately yesterday I put a long 200 yard shot on the largest target buck we had knowledge of. A real hammer.

Sparing the detail I did not do my job and put a bad hit on him by a small margin. Rethinking it a ton but ultimately it is what it is. Found blood later in the day and tracked to no avail and exhausted efforts. Each person suggested I move on and keep an eye out for yotes/birds in days ahead. I do believe the buck will die but it’s not going to be dead immediately. It’s been a deflating experience. I will also say I have been a champion of the 243 here and that narrative is changing after the past 24 hours. These are the first real poor experiences I’ve had but they’re bad enough to make me start looking already.

This morning it was frigid and I went to a hilltop stand that was absolutely freezing with a small amount of wind. As the sun rose I spotted a buck bumping a doe 180 yards away. Here we go again. He stopped along a hillside (rolling crp grass). I shot and watched him run down into a bottom and didn’t see him exit. A few minutes later a yote came by and he got dumped as well.

I started getting nervous about the shot on today’s buck. I lost sight of him and didn’t see signs of a hit. He went 40-50 yards before I lost sight. Partner came over and we made a long loop and got down into the bottom. Saw nothing at hit site area (hard to tell with crp). Ultimately I dang near walked on top of him before I saw him. Grass was 3-4 feet high. Stone dead. No evidence of a hit after flipping him 4 times. Could hear air escaping so he was hit solid. Took photos. And 10 minutes after finding him, one line trickle of blood poured out of a spot that didn’t even show as a hole. Money shot. And no blood at all. 100 grain Federal deer round. 180 yards.

Yote shot at 25 yards. Barely any blood and a bang flop. Anyhow I’m eyeing bigger calibers again.

3AE1F91D-CFBA-4412-BA20-0B2D3F320A3B.jpeg

EC3F8C96-A95F-48FB-97BB-173725100627.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 28

31 minutes ago, phade said:

Been a long 24 hours. Thanks to Grampy  for the help and guidance via phone and text. Ultimately yesterday I put a long 200 yard shot on the largest target buck we had knowledge of. A real hammer.

Sparing the detail I did not do my job and put a bad hit on him by a small margin. Rethinking it a ton but ultimately it is what it is. Found blood later in the day and tracked to no avail and exhausted efforts. Each person suggested I move on and keep an eye out for yotes/birds in days ahead. I do believe the buck will die but it’s not going to be dead immediately. It’s been a deflating experience. I will also say I have been a champion of the 243 here and that narrative is changing after the past 24 hours. These are the first real poor experiences I’ve had but they’re bad enough to make me start looking already.

This morning it was frigid and I went to a hilltop stand that was absolutely freezing with a small amount of wind. As the sun rose I spotted a buck bumping a doe 180 yards away. Here we go again. He stopped along a hillside (rolling crp grass). I shot and watched him run down into a bottom and didn’t see him exit. A few minutes later a yote came by and he got dumped as well.

I started getting nervous about the shot on today’s buck. I lost sight of him and didn’t see signs of a hit. He went 40-50 yards before I lost sight. Partner came over and we made a long loop and got down into the bottom. Saw nothing at hit site area (hard to tell with crp). Ultimately I dang near walked on top of him before I saw him. Grass was 3-4 feet high. Stone dead. No evidence of a hit after flipping him 4 times. Could hear air escaping so he was hit solid. Took photos. And 10 minutes after finding him, one line trickle of blood poured out of a spot that didn’t even show as a hole. Money shot. And no blood at all. 100 grain Federal deer round. 180 yards.

Yote shot at 25 yards. Barely any blood and a bang flop. Anyhow I’m eyeing bigger calibers again.

Congrats , glad it worked out . And you got a coyote to boot , fyi wife loves her 7-08 . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phade said:

Great buck! Congrats! I’ve toyed with smaller calibers in the past but keep coming back to my 308. It just gives me the best results all around. 

• Like 4

So what are the odds? I haven't been seeing many deer this year but I had muzzleloader problems that caused me to miss a doe during muzzleloader and now my 3006 didn't go off trying to take another doe. I give up it's not meant to be for me this year I guess. Was trying to shoot 180 grain core lokts.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

On 11/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, Swamp_bucks said:

Do you have to draw a tag for Missouri or is it over the counter.  Hoping in a couple years to go to the Midwest always wanted to and want to say I did it at least once. 

OTC. Lots of people do public here. Competitive but doable. And good bucks too. Offhand in camp I think I’ve seen a half dozen bucks from local public and they’re all solid. Love it out here. Just go. It can be done on the cheap or big $ and the people are great here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phade said:

I'm glad you collected your buck.....There are lots of .25 to  .30 caliber that will work...Most of my deer have been taken with 7mms, namely 7 x57, 7mm08 and .280 Rem...However, I feel that the bullet is perhaps more important than the exact chambering .. I am a big proponent of using a bonded or monometal bullet that leaves an exit hole EVERY TIME...

My favorites are Barnes x-types, but there are others out there....YMMV.....

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'm glad you collected your buck.....There are lots of .25 to  .30 caliber that will work...Most of my deer have been taken with 7mms, namely 7 x57, 7mm08 and .280 Rem...However, I feel that the bullet is perhaps more important than the exact chambering .. I am a big proponent of using a bonded or monometal bullet that leaves an exit hole EVERY TIME...

My favorites are Barnes x-types, but there are others out there....YMMV.....

I agree with the bold but not necessarily the "using a bonded or monometal bullet that leaves an exit hole".  When a bullet exits it did not dump it's kinetic energy into the animal, therefore leaving a smaller or no shock cone.  It may even blow through with little to no expansion.  Deer are thin skinned relatively light animals. Rapidly expanding bullets broadside are the DRT formula.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I agree with the bold but not necessarily the "using a bonded or monometal bullet that leaves an exit hole".  When a bullet exits it did not dump it's kinetic energy into the animal, therefore leaving a smaller or no shock cone.  It may even blow through with little to no expansion.  Deer are thin skinned relatively light animals. Rapidly expanding bullets broadside are the DRT formula.  

Not a big proponent of the "energy dump" theory...I'll take a silver dollar sized exit hole every time....That bullet will have done plenty of damage on it's way through and will leave a good hole leak if tracking is necessary..

• Like 5

Not me but a good friend got big 8 pt on Sunday morning in Chautauqua Co.  Well earned as he does a ton of work on the property doing food plots and planting trees every year. His best buck on the property so far! Congrats! Raw scored 130 3/8" 183 lbs.

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

Edited by 2012_taco
added pic
  • Like 18

5 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Not me but a good friend got big 8 pt on Sunday morning in Chautauqua Co.  Well earned as he does a ton of work on the property doing food plots and planting trees every year. His best buck on the property so far! Congrats! Raw scored 130 3/8" 183 lbs.

IMG_2757.jpg

Congrats to the shooter!  Looks like a great shot too.............

• Like 2

Not a big proponent of the "energy dump" theory...I'll take a silver dollar sized exit hole every time....That bullet will have done plenty of damage on it's way through and will leave a good hole leak if tracking is necessary..

How’ve you been old friend?

I agree energy dump means nothing!

The recipe for DRT is a permanent or temporary disruption of CNS.

The recipe for finding the deer you kill is shoot a bullet that will exit and expand on the way through. A QUALITY monolithic or bonded gullet will do so. I don’t care if you shoot a 223 or 375h&h only shoot at angle where you know the bullet will make 2 holes and you’ll find the critter as long as you do your part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1