Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

18 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

Another opener in the books. It was a windy cold day and a not so fun all day sit, but I was 28ft up in a pine tree all day. Had a 4pt come thru at 8, the a group of 5 doe at 9.

I had a few stands to choose from, oh well.

28ft, that's a hell of a shot angle! Are you worried about them seeing you?

12 minutes ago, heavuser said:

28ft, that's a hell of a shot angle! Are you worried about them seeing you?

No, I'm not worried about them seeing me because I'm in a large white pine that has a big main trunk the first 20 then branches out and 28 was the only and perfect spot for a stand, I have a good view of the high grass and brush in 3 directions then uphill into the woods.  

What's a good height for the best shot angle?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Test question:

22 degrees + gusts at 29mph= 

1. Freeze your ass and go anyway?

2.Stay in where it is warm and have breakfast?

3.Stare out the window for the next several hours in the warm house,  and ruminate about how you should be outside freezing you ass chasing deer?

Filled buck tag yesterday, back at doe patrol today. We only get 3 months of this, don't waste a minute. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Test question:

22 degrees + gusts at 29mph= 

1. Freeze your ass and go anyway?

2.Stay in where it is warm and have breakfast?

3.Stare out the window for the next several hours in the warm house,  and ruminate about how you should be outside freezing you ass chasing deer?

Get the heated gear and go.. i kick myself for not spending this money yrs ago

No need for sitka or firstlite ;) 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

When I was a young guy I would be out there, these days I am a "ruminator", the season is long and there is plenty of time for me to hunt in weather a bit more enjoyable.:yes: 

Besides I have a half a day worth of chores to do here on the farm where there is never any breaks from the weather, every day, 365 days a year. Looks like I will be clearing some serious snow over the next day or so.

Al

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

First time out in three weeks since surgery went really south.

Sorry to hear. Stay safe!

Went down the same road a year ago with bad surgery outcome. Damned near killed me. Literally! And gun season found me siting in a blind watching deer but unable to pull the trigger for fear of blowing my incision inside apart. I had several chances at the same really big buck within a few yards of me but could not muster the courage to risk pulling the trigger. My neighbor ended up shooting him.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, airedale said:

When I was a young guy I would be out there, these days I am a "ruminator", the season is long and there is plenty of time for me to hunt in weather a bit more enjoyable.:yes: 

Besides I have a half a day worth of chores to do here on the farm where there is never any breaks from the weather, every day, 365 days a year. Looks like I will be clearing some serious snow over the next day or so.

Al

Same here, although with me still working full time at 63 (probably until I'm 80), time off can be a headache. I ended up taking off the next 2 weeks though, so I'll afford myself at least this morning to stay warm and attend to other things.

Edited by New York Hillbilly
spelling

Kid we took out for youth got the 3.5 we’d been letting age up. Rather than be salty he didn’t make it to 4.5 I’ll post a pic for others to enjoy. Seriously, if someone is happy with a buck don’t be a douche bag. You win some you lose some but act with dignity. Wouldn’t want that loser mindset as a neighbor.

1052AB54-EAFC-4632-AC92-ED733DFBB39F.jpeg

52F4ADA7-5F2D-4DF7-AA44-1DA70AF62CED.jpeg

• Like 24