Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

This morning I picked option #3. Staring out window and ruminating. That is until around 10am. Then I went to shoot at a pumpkin at the same distance as the buck last night. I held in the middle of the pumpkin and shot low taking a swath put of the bottom along with dirt under it. Three more shots putting the cross hairs at the top edge of the pumpkin and all three shots through the middle of the pumpkin. Man that deer has no idea how lucky he was last night. Lesson learned. Headed out  now for the last couple hours.

Wasn't in the stand 45 minutes and I saw a little buck run behind me, then I saw he was chasing a doe that I never saw. They did a big loop back into the thicket, they came back out about 10 minutes later and she came to 30yds on field edge so I decided to break in my new rifle. She went 25 yds and tipped over. Drove the truck right to her. Home and skinned by dark.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Uneventful weekend for me. Saturday I did see a dozen or so doe with fawns. Had a little basket rack 5 chasing a doe around and that was it. At 3:15 Saturday my dad text me this as it's standing 75 yds from his porch before following a doe down to the river bottom. I wasn't able to make it out today but maybe I'll have to run out to dad's after a short day at work one day this week.Wf8jdWru-98917036.thumb.jpeg.0a746eb7f4c821be4d88855a0bd2177a.jpegzRloi3N2-99934105.jpeg.ffc995d51d90567d2ae223fdeb5e0ce1.jpeg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, phade said:

Kid we took out for youth got the 3.5 we’d been letting age up. Rather than be salty he didn’t make it to 4.5 I’ll post a pic for others to enjoy. Seriously, if someone is happy with a buck don’t be a douche bag. You win some you lose some but act with dignity. Wouldn’t want that loser mindset as a neighbor.

That would look good on any ones wall. If it was the kids first big buck, kudos!!

Life has been crazy these last two weeks, shot a 4 point last morning of crossbow, standing on my tree sticks while taking my stand down. Told my self if he didn't come within 20 I wasn't shooting, he came to 10... Wind gets the assist on that one cause I never saw him till he was 50 yards away and my crossbow was on the ground. 

Sat am, dad and I went out, I saw a small buck and passed, dad had 2 doe coming up field but a small one under him that busted him, he shot a big doe across field ( I can see them where I'm at) They jumped up 20 yards and I put a follow up shot into her from 216 yards, she was dead 20 yards off field edge with 2 holes, His was 1 lung and lived, mine took out the rest of the lungs. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, First-light said:

Been slow on my property. I saw a fawn yesterday that's it. Neighbor behind us shot 2 8pts a smaller buck and this giant. 23 inch inside spread. 

IMG_3020.jpeg

Wow , not only a great rack but he’s a little bit piebald too. 

• Like 1

Doe down! 

I got a late start this morning and was starting my walk to a blind on the neighbors place. I was just walking past the barn when she stood up in the brush about 50 yards away. One shot, she made a quick dash and dropped at the edge of my back lawn. Easy retrieval on this one haha. First tag I’ve punched in 2 years. Gonna get this nanny taken care of and then head back to the blind for the rest of the morning before I go down to state land for the afternoon sit. 

75F95D2B-BA8A-4CB9-9FBD-5BE18C18451E.jpeg

• Like 21

3 hours ago, First-light said:

Been slow on my property. I saw a fawn yesterday that's it. Neighbor behind us shot 2 8pts a smaller buck and this giant. 23 inch inside spread. 

is this a place where one can shoot 2 bucks in one season or by neighbor do you mean 2 or more  hunters on 1 property?

• Like 1

And it happens again! Good buddy right across from my property shot this 12 pt this morning! Spectacular deer. I can see him in his stand from my house. One year I drove golf balls at him! lol So happy for him. BTW I never saw this buck during bow season. 

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

• Like 19

41 minutes ago, First-light said:

And it happens again! Good buddy right across from my property shot this 12 pt this morning! Spectacular deer. I can see him in his stand from my house. One year I drove golf balls at him! lol So happy for him. BTW I never saw this buck during bow season. 

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

Wow congrats to your neighbor .. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, First-light said:

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

That’s a cranker. That’s always the mission. Find the biggest on the property and settle only for him. Unless a bigger stranger comes along or your neighbor gets him first. Lol

• Like 1

Was a tough opening weekend with some crazy winds in 8F, but it finally came together with an 8Pt yesterday at 2:55. Watched him make a scrape and then he came over looking for the doe that cruised by about 5 minutes earlier. The 30-06 did it's job at about 70yds, dropping him right there.

Screenshot_20221120-175157_Gallery.jpg

20221120_151035.jpg

• Like 22

IMG_2818.thumb.jpeg.4ce752443f7953e5addac398408f7318.jpeg
IMG_2810.thumb.jpeg.227418e65a0fe7bfccb2befccb413099.jpeg
IMG_2807.thumb.jpeg.4c50be7133440fd3a1a7395e616583e5.jpeg
Let's talk this meat pole.....the pulley system they have rigged up looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk