Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

50 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Had a decent opening weekend with 9 being dropped. One pretty decent 10 and a couple 8’s. Doe tags were filled so the trip was another success. Not many bigger fellas on Cam’s in the area this year. This guy is the biggest I could find so it’s him or bust unless a bigger guy shows up on the scene. He plays the game well, had him close a couple times during bow but not close enough. The game continues….

A783EAAD-62EF-4BD0-A1FE-262C77A450EA.png

Nice , I’ve been playing cat and mouse with our wide 6 again this season . Had him at 40 + and again at maybe 10-15 in heavy cover during archery . Best of  luck hanging a tag on him. 

35F26375-F992-49C8-A023-F240CCC12597.jpeg

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk about a chitty day. Must have stepped in yote chit in the dark on the way in .  Sitting there in the dark I could smell it. Got light enough to see its on every rung of the ladder stand and the platform.  Had 3 groups of deer come in and stop in the brush just off my shooting lane . Turn and run away not giving me a shot . Packed it in at 8:30. Washed boots and camo. Have to sneak back up and clean ladder at some point . If it weren't for bad luck ... 

Edited by Nytracker
  • Sad 1

Jesus Christ blessed me with an almost perfect “dmp” tag buck today.  2-3/4” spike on the left and 1” on the right.  Now, I can still hunt for the big one later this weekend, up in the nz.  He has always come thru in spades, when I am in need.  We now have enough meat for our oldest daughter, who is moving back home in December.  37-1/4” chest girth.  Oysters and fillet mignons are in the fridge, liver and heart are in the freezer, and carcass is hanging in garage, in near perfect hanging temps.

B9B93A3B-ABA8-41CA-9A76-2B30E8C27514.thumb.jpeg.add7679bb9e5ab4974e0267ef93bea42.jpeg

I don’t feel so bad now, about missing my first opening weekend in 40 years, due to the Buffalo November blizzard of 22. 

Three antlerless deer came out in my turnip patch at 7:30 and I shot what I thought was the largest doe.  So much for “tall tine tubers” .  They ought to call them “tiny tine turnips”.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 16
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Jesus Christ blessed me with an almost perfect “dmp” tag buck today.  2-3/4” spike on the left and 1” on the right.  Now, I can still hunt for the big one later this weekend, up in the nz.  He has always come thru in spades, when I am in need.  We now have enough meat for our oldest daughter, who is moving back home in December.  37-1/4” chest girth.  Oysters and fillet mignons are in the fridge, liver and heart are in the freezer, and carcass is hanging in garage, in near perfect hanging temps.

B9B93A3B-ABA8-41CA-9A76-2B30E8C27514.thumb.jpeg.add7679bb9e5ab4974e0267ef93bea42.jpeg

I don’t feel so bad now, about missing my first opening weekend in 40 years, due to the Buffalo November blizzard of 22. 

Three antlerless deer came out in my turnip patch at 7:30 and I shot what I thought was the largest doe.  So much for “tall tine tubers” .  They ought to call them “tiny tine turnips”.  

Lots to be thankful, when God blessed us with these magnificent animals :) Congrats 

• Like 1

I am up on the nw corner of the Adirondack park this morning (wmu 6c), seated under a shooting range shelter where my father in law stores tractor implements, on the edge of a 100 yard x 50 yard meadow.  There is a light drizzel, it’s about 40 degrees, and the wind is from the south west at 10-15 mph.

There was about 3 ft of snow in the woods last night, when we arrived.  I’m hoping the warm temps today and the rain, will settle it down and put a frozen crust on top overnight.  That will allow me to comfortably walk back to my favorite “big buck” hot-spot, tomorrow morning.

Right now, I’m hoping that a 4-pointer or better, crosses on the 50 yard hoof trail that I see up-wind.  I passed a spike buck on that trail from here on the second morning of nz gun season, a month ago.  

The hundred yard trail, that crosses at the far edge of the meadow, would be stretching it with my open-sighted Marlin 336BL.  I don’t like taking my father in law’s scoped 336 out in the rain, but I’d much prefer that, if a buck crosses425A525D-C959-4012-9976-27786C5C4AB2.thumb.jpeg.d049c649d810777af1bb689c29e5402a.jpeg on that far trail.

The in-laws have been seeing a group of 6-7 deer crossing almost every morning lately, between 7:30 and 9:30, but didn’t notice antlers on any of them, so I don’t expect much.  Does are not legal here until late ML opens up in December.

7E630E20-D478-4A73-A968-0EDA3152045E.thumb.jpeg.0e0ab578af48a789aa9e8748ff29e4c3.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Years back I had a hunter shoot one just like this. He wasn't sure to use the DMP or buck tag. We took it back to camp and as we were coming in on the Quad the local DEC was coming up my driveway. We were pulling a trailer that had 4 deer in it. All tagged except for the small spike. He checked out the deer and asked about the none tagged spike. I explained to him it was my call to come back and measure. Mistake #1 and it almost cost me $350. He said to have something with you in the woods to measure. Could be the shell you are using or something else. We tagged it as a Doe and he wished us well. I was lucky that day. 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

I’m hunted yesterday morning. Had to pack it in early because of bills game and dinner at 3. I didn’t see a deer but it was the most eventful 4 hour sit I’ve had in a long time. Across the ravine I see a long bushy tail . It was quick. I figured small yote. Boy was I wrong. I hear a weird growl and screech from in the gully. I see some movement coming up it’s a porcupine. He’s waddling quickly. Being chased by a fisher. I’ve never seen a fisher before. The fisher got whacked by the pine. This interaction with the fisher lasted about 45 minutes. Great day for sure.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Cory said:

I’m hunted yesterday morning. Had to pack it in early because of bills game and dinner at 3. I didn’t see a deer but it was the most eventful 4 hour sit I’ve had in a long time. Across the ravine I see a long bushy tail . It was quick. I figured small yote. Boy was I wrong. I hear a weird growl and screech from in the gully. I see some movement coming up it’s a porcupine. He’s waddling quickly. Being chased by a fisher. I’ve never seen a fisher before. The fisher got whacked by the pine. This interaction with the fisher lasted about 45 minutes. Great day for sure.

Moments like that make spending time in the woods all worth it !

51 minutes ago, First-light said:

Years back I had a hunter shoot one just like this. He wasn't sure to use the DMP or buck tag. We took it back to camp and as we were coming in on the Quad the local DEC was coming up my driveway. We were pulling a trailer that had 4 deer in it. All tagged except for the small spike. He checked out the deer and asked about the none tagged spike. I explained to him it was my call to come back and measure. Mistake #1 and it almost cost me $350. He said to have something with you in the woods to measure. Could be the shell you are using or something else. We tagged it as a Doe and he wished us well. I was lucky that day. 

I was thankful for my smart phone yesterday, because I couldn’t remember if the “legal buck” tine length was 1” or 3”.  It’s a bit confusing because the regs define antlers points as “longer than 1”.  However, a “legal buck” must have at least one antler longer than 3”.

This little guy had an inch on the right and 2-3/4 on the left, so legally, I was compelled to tag him, with one of the (3) remaining wmu 9F dmp’s, that I carried in my wallet.  I was very thankful that I didn’t need to use my buck tag or I would be bear hunting up in the Dacks right now.  It’s way too cold and snowy up here now for that, as I’m sure they are hibernated.

After verifying on-line, what tag to use, I filled it out before I gutted him.  I then walked back for my field car, to haul him to our garage.  I put the filled out dmp tag back in my wallet for that trip, and didn’t attach it until he was hanging in the garage.   

I think that was “legal” because, although he was loaded onto a motor-vehicle, he was not transported on the road.  I always try my best to follow all the rules but sometimes they get confusing.  
93177BE4-177A-4F34-BF1A-686990DEC5EB.thumb.jpeg.3b645019f5f8b3f52a71049e7112a700.jpeg

377581DB-481F-428C-8E66-63D690A287A4.thumb.jpeg.47bff2e046e67ce798da2950164ca6ed.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

A cousin closed the book wednesday afternoon on a buck that's been a family legend for the past 3 yrs. I believe this deer is at least 7.5 yr old and has been over 160" for the past three years at least. He grossed 158 as a 8-pt with a broken brow. His G2s were 13 and 14", the longest I can remember seeing in my area of Steuben County! RIP old boy. May your offspring survive to maturity...

IMG_20221123_171151.jpg

IMG_20221123_174707~2.jpg

IMG_20221123_202404736.jpg

IMG_20221123_202642539.jpg

IMG_20221123_202930836.jpg

IMG_20221124_113921592_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221124_101059608.jpg

IMG_20221124_114017134_HDR.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

A cousin closed the book wednesday afternoon on a buck that's been a family legend for the past 3 yrs. I believe this deer is at least 7.5 yr old and has been over 160" for the past three years at least. He grossed 158 as a 8-pt with a broken brow. His G2s were 13 and 14", the longest I can remember seeing in my area of Steuben County! RIP old boy. May your offspring survive to maturity...

IMG_20221123_171151.jpg

IMG_20221123_174707~2.jpg

IMG_20221123_202404736.jpg

IMG_20221123_202642539.jpg

IMG_20221123_202930836.jpg

IMG_20221124_113921592_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221124_101059608.jpg

IMG_20221124_114017134_HDR.jpg

Sweet. And it seems as though there is at least one other beast in the woods that would take him to task by the looks of the fighting on his hide. 

3 hours ago, First-light said:

Guess it all depends on who (DEC officer) you get.   Years back on LI state co-op I arrowed what I tough was a doe.  When I recovered  it, it turned out to be a small spike with one antler measuring exactly 3".  I tagged it as a buck using my archery tag.  Back at the check station the DEC officer told me "I would have let you tag this one as a doe".    Who knows what would have happened had I done that.

Another story regarding it all depends on who you get.   Years back we were hunting a piece of private property, with permission,  for the first time with friends and family.  The landowner owner explicitly told us the neighbor across the road  trespasses and he doesn't want him on the property.  The day before opener as we were checking it out the local neighbor across the road came over to throw us out.   We explained that we had permission to hunt it and would be in there tomorrow.   We said nothing about what the landowner told us to keep things peaceful.  Opening day we park the trucks  about 75 yards into the property.  One of the party shoots a doe that morning.  As we drag the deer to the trucks there is a DEC officer waiting for us.  He asks who the lucky hunter was and to see the completed carcass tag.  The hunter explains he was going  to fill it out now as his pen was in the truck.  The gut pile was literally 50 yards away.  Well, DEC officer informed us that the tag needs to be completed immediately in the woods at the kill site, but does not need to be attached until at a road.  DEC officer confiscated the deer and issued the hunter a ticket!  

• Sad 1