Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Weekend warrior at this point with new job. Good news is I’ll likely be able to get out to Missouri for bow opener next year and not miss a day of work. Can work it remote for a few weeks no prob. But hard to find a way to get out a few hours  early now for a quick hunt lol.

Got out Saturday with the FIL who is now turning 74 and losing mobility fast. Climbing stands are out so it’s a ground game from here on out for him. Had a plan for the PM after a deerless morning where I set him up. Was really confident in the PM. Problem on the home front with my wife going to urgent care pushed us getting out late and we had to watch from afar a spike and a yearling exactly where he would have been set up. I’m going to have to get him out again before season close for another shot at it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Holy smoke is it ever windy out here! 

That's enough! I don't care what deer walks by now. I'm getting out before this stand decides to flip over.

Sure was a windy day for sure. Saturday looks to be the same. It’s been a tough season weather wise in the western part of the state.

• Sad 1

Spent all day out in the woods. I sat 2 different spots. Only seen 2 fawns about 430. Gonna be wet and windy tomorrow.  I am going to sit on the low side of a hill in the pines. I plan on carrying my open sight ranger 120 20 gauge. First deer I ever killed was with that gun, handed down from my grandfather. 

• Like 2

After morning sit, I grabbed the card out of my camera that is over the carcass of the doe I shot.

Expecting to see crows and coyotes, to my surprise and dismay I find I have a trespasser. This brazen fool was actually in the direct middle of my property  and within 150 yards of where I had been sitting in a pine tree ladder stand. He must have heard me leave on my wheeler last night before he walked out, because the time on the picture was 4:56PM. I left at 4:35PM.

We're not talking he was just across the line, he was directly in the center of my land.

Unfortunately I did not get his face because he was so close to the camera, but did get his whole body up to his chin. His clothes and way he was dressed, his body, his shotgun and odd way he carries it with the sling(shortest shotgun I have ever seen, looks sawed off), and carrying some sort of fanny pack in front of him, makes him easy to pick out.

So, I spent a couple hours this afternoon walking the property line and putting up new (additional) posted signs, where I suspect he came through.

I hate people who have no respect for others, and as a trespasser clearly no respect for themself either!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, New York Hillbilly said:

After morning sit, I grabbed the card out of my camera that is over the carcass of the doe I shot.

Expecting to see crows and coyotes, to my surprise and dismay I find I have a trespasser. This brazen fool was actually in the direct middle of my property  and within 150 yards of where I had been sitting in a pine tree ladder stand. He must have heard me leave on my wheeler last night before he walked out, because the time on the picture was 4:56PM. I left at 4:35PM.

We're not talking he was just across the line, he was directly in the center of my land.

Unfortunately I did not get his face because he was so close to the camera, but did get his whole body up to his chin. His clothes and way he was dressed, his body, his shotgun and odd way he carries it with the sling(shortest shotgun I have ever seen, looks sawed off), and carrying some sort of fanny pack in front of him, makes him easy to pick out.

So, I spent a couple hours this afternoon walking the property line and putting up new (additional) posted signs, where I suspect he came through.

I hate people who have no respect for others, and as a trespasser clearly no respect for themself either!

Video mode is your friend, yes it chews batteries but you get so much more info

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Do yourself a favor and put up a " Broken Bait Camera " at eye level where its easily seen and then put up a hidden working camera and no doubt you'll get an eye full ! Good Luck !

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, suburbanfarmer said:

Calling for 50-55mph gusts tomorrow, anyone going out; Plz stay safe and away from dead ash trees.

I have a dead ash on the side of my corn field that is cracked towards the bottom. If its not down by tomorrow i'll cut it. 

• Like 2

I could only hold out for the first two hours after sunrise, in my swamp-edge hang-on stand this morning.  That little thing is not made for sits longer than 2 hours in good weather.  No action at all there early this morning, not even a squirrel.  The wind was gusting close to 30 mph from the SW, and the light scattered rain started getting heavier around 9:30.

At that time, I made the 400 yard move, to my two story truck-cap blind.  I’ve never killed anything from downstairs of this one, but did take what was likely my largest-ever bodied buck (43” chest girth) from the upstairs with my crossbow, about 6 years ago.lol

I shot my gun-season buck last year from another blind, here at my parents place.  He ran past and died within 50 yards of this one, after taking this 20 cent, 16 ga Remington slugger from my old Ithaca. That slug never exited his rib-cage.  It fell out from under the hide, when I skinned him.  It knocked chunks of busted rib all the way through, so that there was a decent, 75 yard long blood trail on the snow, spraying from both sides.  

9BA39AEE-FA9B-401B-BAE3-6152B6FAA33A.thumb.jpeg.7b8c3130ae768f5ca4a99bfa81b64021.jpeg

I’d be happy if my old Ithaca 16 gauge could get it done on a unicorn with a single 3-1/4” spike today. I’ve gone thru a quart of cider and my last snicker bar this morning and I am now completely out of provisions.  I guess that I should have rationed my supply better.   Hopefully, the rain lets up soon, so I can make it to lunch with my parents, without getting too wet.  
B8745FCE-C664-4A31-A04E-3FC155B5633F.thumb.jpeg.78621e152278d43cec29bfcac819a6f2.jpeg

This blind has the solid end facing the prevailing wind direction (SW), and is super comfortable on horizontal-rain days, like today. My tree umbrella is nearly useless in those type of conditions.  
6FA7F10E-7CB0-4D0C-88A3-29EC2EAA24D7.thumb.jpeg.cfc532b3f03055d763025e911c1fa843.jpeg

What’s best about these two-story models, is the instant that the rain stops I can go upstairs, where there are no “blind spots”.  

I still need to break in the first floor of this one, with a deer kill. So far, I have only killed squirrels from down here.  There’s been about a dozen deer and a coyote killed from the upstairs of the similar one, that I have at home, and about half of that from it’s lower deck.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I could only hold out for the first two hours after sunrise, in my swamp-edge hang-on stand this morning.  That little thing is not made for sits longer than 2 hours in good weather.  No action at all there early this morning, not even a squirrel.  The wind was gusting close to 30 mph from the SW, and the light scattered rain started getting heavier around 9:30.

At that time, I made the 400 yard move, to my two story truck-cap blind.  I’ve never killed anything from downstairs of this one, but did take what was likely my largest-ever bodied buck (43” chest girth) from the upstairs with my crossbow, about 6 years ago.lol

I shot my gun-season buck last year from another blind, here at my parents place.  He ran past and died within 50 yards of this one, after taking this 20 cent, 16 ga Remington slugger from my old Ithaca. That slug never exited his rib-cage.  It fell out from under the hide, when I skinned him.  It knocked chunks of busted rib all the way through, so that there was a decent, 75 yard long blood trail on the snow, spraying from both sides.  

9BA39AEE-FA9B-401B-BAE3-6152B6FAA33A.thumb.jpeg.7b8c3130ae768f5ca4a99bfa81b64021.jpeg

I’d be happy if my old Ithaca 16 gauge could get it done on a unicorn with a single 3-1/4” spike today. I’ve gone thru a quart of cider and my last snicker bar this morning and I am now completely out of provisions.  I guess that I should have rationed my supply better.   Hopefully, the rain lets up soon, so I can make it to lunch with my parents, without getting too wet.  
B8745FCE-C664-4A31-A04E-3FC155B5633F.thumb.jpeg.78621e152278d43cec29bfcac819a6f2.jpeg

This blind has the solid end facing the prevailing wind direction (SW), and is super comfortable on horizontal-rain days, like today. My tree umbrella is nearly useless in those type of conditions.  
6FA7F10E-7CB0-4D0C-88A3-29EC2EAA24D7.thumb.jpeg.cfc532b3f03055d763025e911c1fa843.jpeg

What’s best about these two-story models, is the instant that the rain stops I can go upstairs, where there are no “blind spots”.  

I still need to break in the first floor of this one, with a deer kill. So far, I have only killed squirrels from down here.  There’s been about a dozen deer and a coyote killed from the upstairs of the similar one, that I have at home, and about half of that from it’s lower deck.  

This thing is awesome