Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

2 hours ago, phade said:

Sure, I would agree. But with a gun on snow, very little blood is concerning. Even with a through and through gut/intestine or a one holer. We’re not talking about a bow shot here. 

yeah that's fair too. bullets just really don't bleed either, so with an arrow you're worrying about plugging and with a gun it's just not cutting as wide of a swath either. 

Either way I think low. legs or paunch, possibly brisket. 

edit, i see he's recovered. congrats. odd little blood with a single lung. Was he dead or did you have to put another in him?

Edited by Five Seasons

2 hours ago, Five Seasons said:

yeah that's fair too. bullets just really don't bleed either, so with an arrow you're worrying about plugging and with a gun it's just not cutting as wide of a swath either. 

Either way I think low. legs or paunch, possibly brisket. 

edit, i see he's recovered. congrats. odd little blood with a single lung. Was he dead or did you have to put another in him?

He was dead in the next bed. Had spray about last 30 yards.He was facing more quartering towards me then i thought. No exit hole. He was full of blood inside. Tracked him from low side of hill, across, up, and back down. Found him about 11 am. Shot was a little after 730.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

He was dead in the next bed. Had spray about last 30 yards.He was facing more quartering towards me then i thought. No exit hole. He was full of blood inside. Tracked him from low side of hill, across, up, and back down. Found him about 11 am. Shot was a little after 730.

I was about to say that before I see you found him. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to fill up inside if there is only one entrance hole.  You handle fit the cause.                 Just Lucky. Congrats!!!!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

Terrific.   How far did he go between shot and death bed?  What chambering and bullet? How far was the shot?

Congratulations, he's a beauty.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, phade said:

I think 23. I can fit inside this guys spread when we hung him. In a rush since Sunday evening. But I wear 38-40” waist jeans and I could fit inside his spread without a prob. Got a couple busted times but still a stud. Let us know when freezer gets room lol. Weighed 185 field dressed.

Better pics tomorrow after work.

64DC9CE6-6E91-4FEF-89B5-CE8F6382C93A.jpeg

Give us those updated pics!

4 hours ago, heavuser said:

Give us those updated pics!

Photos were taken last night. Work beckons. Once they are back to me I’ll post. I don’t think I got a single “good” photo of it in the field Sunday. Too much of a rush to get dressed and out of the woods across an ag field we had major issues crossing with the truck. Ugh. So bad we called the farmer to let him know before he saw it. Short of a hand drag the ground was that soft mud. Thankfully farmer is cool and knows we take away mouths that feed out of his pocket.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Five Seasons said:

I'm leaning towards a .270

270 is a great caliber. Been shooting a Ruger M77 for years in 270. Ammo is easily available and relatively inexpensive (got some recently at Walmart for about $28/box incl. Tax). Since I hunt in the deep woods I use 150 grain Remington CorLoks. Recoil is also manageable, so your son won't be gun shy/prone to flinching with this gun and can use it for a long time.

The 130 grain may also be considered to start with to get a little less recoil, but probably not too much. Just something to consider.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

PS - Although I love my M77, I would not recommend it for a beginner (or anyone looking to by a used gun of this type) due to safety issues.  You really need to pay attention when loading and unloading this gun, as the tang safety needs to be off when the bolt is moved back and then forward; so your finger should not be anywhere close to the trigger.

5 hours ago, Five Seasons said:

yeah my son will be 11 next season and I'm already starting to think about his christmas gift for a gun that winter. I'm leaning towards a .270

Having recently started my two oldest boys on firearms for deer, I'd consider going with something with a bit lighter recoil.  My second oldest really struggled with a 20 gauge pump and felt that the .270 wasn't much better in the recoil department.  Both are comfortable shooing a .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7mm-08.  I also have a .257 Weatherby that my oldest shoots well but my second oldest isn't too comfortable with.  

That being said, maybe your son isn't nearly as recoil sensitive as my boys are.  I "read" their reactions to trying various firearms and, erring on the side of caution, backed them way down to prevent bad habits from forming. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, escpen said:

Having recently started my two oldest boys on firearms for deer, I'd consider going with something with a bit lighter recoil.  My second oldest really struggled with a 20 gauge pump and felt that the .270 wasn't much better in the recoil department.  Both are comfortable shooing a .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7mm-08.  I also have a .257 Weatherby that my oldest shoots well but my second oldest isn't too comfortable with.  

That being said, maybe your son isn't nearly as recoil sensitive as my boys are.  I "read" their reactions to trying various firearms and, erring on the side of caution, backed them way down to prevent bad habits from forming. 

I agree for the first rifle, start them off with a 243 or 7mm-08. Keep their shots under 75 yards and they will be hooked for life after their first harvest.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

8 hours ago, Five Seasons said:

yeah my son will be 11 next season and I'm already starting to think about his christmas gift for a gun that winter. I'm leaning towards a .270

More important then caliber is the size of the butt of the gun. My daughter has a 7mm-08 mossy girl. It fits her, but when I shoot it it hurts like hell because of the butt being too small in my shoulder socket.  One of my 20 gauge is the same way.