Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

No deer showed up in wmu 9A, where I stayed until 1/2 hour past sunset.  I’m rigged for rain at home in 9F this morning, holed up in the lower level of my two-story truck cap blind, watching over an old clover plot.  They are calling for rain all day today.

I’m thankful to have made it back here without soaking a foot or both.  My Mickey-Mouse boots are only good for about 10” of water and I had to have gotten close to that a few times crossing the low spots.  The creek is at the top of the banks from all the snow melt-off.  

There’s quite a few deer tracks, scat, and signs of foraging on the adjacent clover, but it’s probably all happening at night.  It’s quite comfortable in here, with a very light sse wind and about 45 degrees.  I’ll probably stay until 11:45 or so, hoping to catch a deer dumb enough to come out in the daylight for a bite.

At sunset tonight, I’ll strap my tree umbrella to the dead ash tree and hang out in my natural blind, by my turnip plot, on the other side of the farm. That will be my last shot at making 2022 a 4-deer year.  815EAD4D-1308-476A-9788-F31D17FB26B9.thumb.jpeg.bcbd9fece92bc1b60aa3547908d9a8d3.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 6:13 AM, New York Hillbilly said:

Well, after another busy clinic week, I now have a day to hunt. Thankfully it looks like a break from the bone chilling cold and wind. I do hear the wind chimes ringing a pretty tune outside my window, but not the loud, frantic noise they have been making all season. 

Past Sunday I took a short stroll and found the deer in the thickest brushy gully, where the swamp,  grown over apple orchard, goldenrod fields and open woodlot all meet. They place was tore up with tracks, paw marks, and a few beds. I sneaked in and saw a couple sliding through the area not 60 yards away but had no clear shot. We had a stand off for better than an hour and a half, with me moving a couple feet and stopping, and them non stop blowing as they tried to scent me, letting me know we both were on to each other. 

This morning I'm headed to a spot I have not been in a couple weeks, if for no other son than to be out there. I'll save the deery spot from last week for this afternoon, in case they are still in that area. So I do not spook them out. 

I know what blowing is. You say "The non stop blowing while they try to scent me" I always thought blowing (almost always from Mature Does) was a warning for all deer that danger was in the woods. Is blowing a method they use to try to scent something? 

6 hours ago, First-light said:

I know what blowing is. You say "The non stop blowing while they try to scent me" I always thought blowing (almost always from Mature Does) was a warning for all deer that danger was in the woods. Is blowing a method they use to try to scent something? 

Several things going on with this, from my experience anyway. First it is to show they know something is up and let you know, they know! Second to sound the alarm to other deer in the area there is reason to be on high alert.  And lastly I think, they seem to be clearing their noses to keep testing  the scent in the wind.  

What I have seen over the years is they do it most if they are not quite sure, and are trying to get you to move, sort of like when they foot stomp,  so the can confirm either by eyesight or hearing that there is trouble near by.  If they just bolted off every time they smelled something potentially dangerous to them, they would be running non stop. 

They will try to circle downwind while watching and listening, and if If they put a couple of their senses together they beat feet out of there.  But, if they can’t quite be sure, I frequently hear them keep blowing as they drift off.

Also, I have noticed it being mostly a doe thing. I’ve watched and seen bucks snort or blow, but typically only once or twice when first startled, and then they are out of there.  

• Like 1

No luck at home, trying for a last minute 2022 buzzer-beater.  I stayed in my stand until the last minute of legal light, seeing only a rabbit crossing my shooting lane at sunset. 

My neighbor saw me walking back and texted that there were at least 5 out there before dark yesterday.  I am guessing that they scent check the plot from downwind before they leave the surrounding heavy cover.  He killed a big doe in his woods yesterday and saw the herd on my plot ad he was hauling it out on his wheeler.  

Our creek is at flood stage and fully navigatable now.  I could use a motorboat or canoe up the far drainage ditch, to haul a carcass back from my turnip plot, if I needed to.  I wore a pair of black rubber knee-high boots for the walk back and forth this evening.

The coyote I killed back there during crossbow season, well over a month ago, is still laying untouched next to the bridge. 
CEE45AC6-9079-4636-B9D0-60F0458B62E6.thumb.jpeg.a460c59c9181a282a7278e42900841f0.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wolc123 said:

No deer showed up in wmu 9A, where I stayed until 1/2 hour past sunset.  I’m rigged for rain at home in 9F this morning, holed up in the lower level of my two-story truck cap blind, watching over an old clover plot.  They are calling for rain all day today.

I’m thankful to have made it back here without soaking a foot or both.  My Mickey-Mouse boots are only good for about 10” of water and I had to have gotten close to that a few times crossing the low spots.  The creek is at the top of the banks from all the snow melt-off.  

There’s quite a few deer tracks, scat, and signs of foraging on the adjacent clover, but it’s probably all happening at night.  It’s quite comfortable in here, with a very light sse wind and about 45 degrees.  I’ll probably stay until 11:45 or so, hoping to catch a deer dumb enough to come out in the daylight for a bite.

At sunset tonight, I’ll strap my tree umbrella to the dead ash tree and hang out in my natural blind, by my turnip plot, on the other side of the farm. That will be my last shot at making 2022 a 4-deer year.  815EAD4D-1308-476A-9788-F31D17FB26B9.thumb.jpeg.bcbd9fece92bc1b60aa3547908d9a8d3.jpeg

You’re the 3rd person this week that I’ve heard mention about Mickey Mouse boots. Are they warm or what’s special about them? I’m only asking because I’m in the market for new boots. TIA

14 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

You’re the 3rd person this week that I’ve heard mention about Mickey Mouse boots. Are they warm or what’s special about them? I’m only asking because I’m in the market for new boots. TIA

They are the military cold weather boots.    They are all rubber and have an air bladder to trap air for insulation/warmth.  They do work and some folks love them....but

Cons: They do not breath so your feet will sweat and be wet.  If they tear (sharp rock) they no longer trap air (heat).  The military does not buy the best equipment, they buy mediocre cost effective.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

I really like them.  My father in law gave me a pair, that is stamped “1989”, as a Christmas gift, about 20 years ago.  I’ve used them on most cold weather hunts the last 15 years.  My feet have never got cold in them, except for a time when I submerged one several times.  

Mine are showing no signs of wear, and I expect they will last quite a few more years.  I have not heard of any non-military style boot, they can equal their performance at any price, and I think they only cost around $ 40, back when he bought them.  
0999F2E6-E885-447D-A7CC-158699E60A94.thumb.jpeg.95d1109acf75e48700044a518f75e52c.jpeg

They work very well with the snowshoes since I cut the openings in the rubber bindings 1/4” wider all the way around.  My feet got real cold wearing those Sorrel packs, the first morning of Holiday ML season.  No trouble with that the other cold days in the Mickey Mouse boots.  

I think the folks who spend big bucks on fancy cold weather boots are nuts.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I really like them.  My father in law gave me a pair, that is stamped “1989”, as a Christmas gift, about 20 years ago.  I’ve used them on most cold weather hunts the last 15 years.  My feet have never got cold in them, except for a time when I submerged one several times.  

Mine are showing no signs of wear, and I expect they will last quite a few more years.  I have not heard of any non-military style boot, they can equal their performance at any price, and I think they only cost around $ 40, back when he bought them.  
0999F2E6-E885-447D-A7CC-158699E60A94.thumb.jpeg.95d1109acf75e48700044a518f75e52c.jpeg

They work very well with the snowshoes since I cut the openings in the rubber bindings 1/4” wider all the way around.  My feet got real cold wearing those Sorrel packs, the first morning of Holiday ML season.  No trouble with that the other cold days in the Mickey Mouse boots.  

I think the folks who spend big bucks on fancy cold weather boots are nuts.  

I appreciate the feedback. You and @DoubleDosejust sold me on these. Would you recommend getting one size large to allow for air circulation with heavy socks?

18 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

I appreciate the feedback. You and @DoubleDosejust sold me on these. Would you recommend getting one size large to allow for air circulation with heavy socks?

Yes, and this is for any boot.  Boots should fit snug enough so your foot does not slide up and down (blisters), but not tight to restrict circulation.  You want enough room to be able to wiggle your toes and trap some air.

24 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

I wouldn’t get too carried away with over sizing.  Maybe a half size larger.  These boots are so warm, that I have never “doubled up” on socks with them.  A single, standard weight pair of wool-blend socks works best for me most of the time and a heavier weight pair on real cold days.  

The only thing I don’t like about them, is that they are only good for about 10” of water.  If you do go in deeper than that, and have an extra, dry pair of socks with you at the time, you could dump out the water, put those on, and probably be good to go (if the socks are wool or wool-blend).

I have also found that if they are laced fairly tight, and your bibs are not “tucked in”, you can take a quick step into deep water and not soak one.  I got into trouble that one time after repeated steps into a deep ditch with loosened laces. 

I like the regular black ones for hunting or ice fishing, but bulkier white ones are available for even colder conditions.  My father in law has some of those.  He spent his whole career working thru the winter on cold concrete dairy barn floors all day long, and he liked the white ones, when it was real cold.  

16 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Several things going on with this, from my experience anyway. First it is to show they know something is up and let you know, they know! Second to sound the alarm to other deer in the area there is reason to be on high alert.  And lastly I think, they seem to be clearing their noses to keep testing  the scent in the wind.  

What I have seen over the years is they do it most if they are not quite sure, and are trying to get you to move, sort of like when they foot stomp,  so the can confirm either by eyesight or hearing that there is trouble near by.  If they just bolted off every time they smelled something potentially dangerous to them, they would be running non stop. 

They will try to circle downwind while watching and listening, and if If they put a couple of their senses together they beat feet out of there.  But, if they can’t quite be sure, I frequently hear them keep blowing as they drift off.

Also, I have noticed it being mostly a doe thing. I’ve watched and seen bucks snort or blow, but typically only once or twice when first startled, and then they are out of there.  

Has anyone ever experienced deer blowing and then settling down; not bolting?  I never have.  Foot stomping and head bobbing alone, I have had them settle down again, provided I remained motionless; but blowing they always end up bolting. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

Has anyone ever experienced deer blowing and then settling down; not bolting?  I never have.  Foot stomping and head bobbing alone, I have had them settle down again, provided I remained motionless; but blowing they always end up bolting. 

My experiences have been the same as that.  Blowing is like an alarm, to warn other deer in the area to get alway fast.  It is almost always the last thing I want to hear while hunting. 

I heard it once, while I was fishing a small Adirondack lake in the fall though, and I used that sound to locate a prime feeding spot (oak trees up on a ridge) to kill a deer up there,  the following season.   

I never would have found that spot, had my scent not drifted up onto that ridge the year before, and alerted the deer that were feeding on acorns up there.  

That was my first and most memorable Adirondack deer kill.  I’ll never forget waiting until the wind was right, then sneaking up onto that ridge with my ML, before sunrise. 

I’ve never seen a more completely surprised look on a deer, as the lead doe gave me after taking my 50 cal ML sabot thru both lungs.  She just stood there staring at me, until her knees buckled, and she toppled over the edge of the steep part of the ridge.  The 4 or 5 smaller antlerless deer behind her did not disperse, until after she fell, about a full minute after taking the shot.  

This spot was very remote and it was almost like those deer had no clue what a hunter was.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

It all makes sense. Good info right there thanks. 

I’m settled in, for the last (2) hours of the 22/23 Holiday season with my crossbow, at my trailer park stand.  There’s a row of double-wides, 300 ft off to my right, and a swamp to my left. 

Several mornings ago, I saw the highest concentration of deer tracks that I have noted this year, back here on the snow.  That’s all melted now, so it should be easier for them to get at the acorns that are burried here under the oak leaves. 

I’d be very thankful if just one shows up before 5:19 this evening.  
8A7AE3E8-56C4-42D3-97DF-390CBC094472.thumb.jpeg.fded37e83881db216f57e8d9717802e4.jpeg

AA962503-F7F2-41BC-BBEA-033FA63B5C2C.thumb.jpeg.4508706b8afce065dca036a8681cb77c.jpegMerry 

• Like 2

This spot your looking at has given me so much memories from this season. It seems its just a magnet for so much rutting activity. This is in the middle of the woods kind of a secret place for the deer. Golden Rod, Pine trees green grass it has it all. Surrounding it is hardwoods and brush. I'm very lucky to own this land and take care of it. We created it for them, they love it!! 

IMG_3007.jpeg

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3009.jpeg

• Like 5