Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Chose the wrong stand again this PM. Passed by the stand I sat yesterday and this morning to go in further. Target buck ended up going by the empty one. Go figure.

That said we got a gander at a giant. We are close to the county checkpoint for opening weekend here in Missouri. Slammer. Pics making rounds on social media now. She got it with a dirty thirty.

130D18A3-2839-4019-B533-3F67F1F90509.png

ACF1FE45-18DB-4B21-A3F3-02F18C49974C.png

171BABCD-FC9F-453E-BD50-CF809A054624.png

• Like 25

39 minutes ago, phade said:

Chose the wrong stand again this PM. Passed by the stand I sat yesterday and this morning to go in further. Target buck ended up going by the empty one. Go figure.

That said we got a gander at a giant. We are close to the county checkpoint for opening weekend here in Missouri. Slammer. Pics making rounds on social media now. She got it with a dirty thirty.

130D18A3-2839-4019-B533-3F67F1F90509.png

ACF1FE45-18DB-4B21-A3F3-02F18C49974C.png

171BABCD-FC9F-453E-BD50-CF809A054624.png

That’s what I’m talkin about. Beast Mode!!

42 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

i have never even been to the park, so will be an interesting adventure for sure.

Just look at your map well and be sure your not in an Archery only or a No Hunting zone. Trail 15 would be a good place for you to start if you want to get to the bottom. The trail will take you down to it and then you just branch off the trail in either direction on the bottom. The park is more or less all tiers from the road to the river. Get on the last tier before the bottom and find a good spot to be able to watch down to the river. Or take that last tier down to the river bank. It’s thick down there which is why the deer are there. Bring 3-4 screw in steps with you and climb up into a fallen tree on the bank so you get up even 5-6 feet so you can see them coming thru the thick and the swale grass.  Good Luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saved what I thought would be my best stand for an all day sit yesterday. A little gap between two bedding areas, thick stuff and where I took a nice buck this time last year.  Saw zero deer, had two different coyotes come by and then around 3 a hunter came through looking for a deer he had hit and dashed any hopes of seeing something.  That's state land hunting.  Now I'm thinking about what Fourseasons said about the bottom and setting up somewhere down deeper for the opener.

I can't get out this am, have a family thing to attend, but plan on giving it one more shot this afternoon and may take a day off....without pay next week. Sure hope I can get a November off some day.

Headed out in a bit for my Daughters last hunt. She gets up everyday at West Point at 4:30. This weekend she would fall asleep on a short car ride to town. Fall asleep in the woods and so on. I gave her the option of sleeping in today no pressure. She says Dad no way I love it out there and want one more crack at a deer! Just got to love it. Good luck all today looks to be a nice day, snow showers on the way!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, First-light said:

Headed out in a bit for my Daughters last hunt. She gets up everyday at West Point at 4:30. This weekend she would fall asleep on a short car ride to town. Fall asleep in the woods and so on. I gave her the option of sleeping in today no pressure. She says Dad no way I love it out there and want one more crack at a deer! Just got to love it. Good luck all today looks to be a nice day, snow showers on the way!

Good luck. Hope things are going good at West Point for your daughter. Make it through the first year and things get much easier. All the best to her. At school and in the woods today!!!!!!

• Like 1

I sat in the top of the same two-story blind where I was yesterday morning.  At 7:40, a heafty, 3.5 yr plus 10 point crossed the hayfield to my north.  He was at a steady fast walk, head up.  The closest he got was about 80 yards.

I didn’t try grunting because I reserve that for firearms.  I prefer to shoot only at clueless, totally relaxed deer, with archery tackle.  There’s a lot less bad hits or misses that way.   When you grunt, they come in on high alert, looking for a rival buck.  

He was pretty much on the same track that the coyotes were on yesterday, but headed the opposite direction (sw), and never made the turn my way.  

That’s the 4th buck and largest by far that I have seen thru crossbow season, where I have yet to see an antlerless deer.  I’ll go out for the last 4-5 hours today and that will be a wrap for my early archery season.  I am due to see an antlerless deer, if the usual 4:1 post October 1 ratio holds up.  

It would be nice to get one into the deer fridge before next weekends gun opener.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, First-light said:

She shot a Doe! Quartering to arrow went6 through shoulder and out stomach. It ran off on three legs. Grey white hair at shot site. after 20 yards of tracking I started to see corn. We stoped and I explained what would happen next. She had to leave by 10 to get back to school. Told her the deer would be dead in a few hours and I'll find it. We walked up the swail and don't you know it she jumps from some golden rod and runs into a wooded area. The shoulder is crushed and there was really good blood. I'll go back at noon to find her. 

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Getting ready to head up on the hill for an afternoon watch. Hoping my luck is ready to change as this has been one of my worst years in awhile as far as even just seeing deer. Good luck to everyone going out .

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Your right. Gotta be in to win!  Good Luck. 

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I sat in the top of the same two-story blind where I was yesterday morning.  At 7:40, a heafty, 3.5 yr plus 10 point crossed the hayfield to my north.  He was at a steady fast walk, head up.  The closest he got was about 80 yards.

I didn’t try grunting because I reserve that for firearms.  I prefer to shoot only at clueless, totally relaxed deer, with archery tackle.  There’s a lot less bad hits or misses that way.   When you grunt, they come in on high alert, looking for a rival buck.  

He was pretty much on the same track that the coyotes were on yesterday, but headed the opposite direction (sw), and never made the turn my way.  

That’s the 4th buck and largest by far that I have seen thru crossbow season, where I have yet to see an antlerless deer.  I’ll go out for the last 4-5 hours today and that will be a wrap for my early archery season.  I am due to see an antlerless deer, if the usual 4:1 post October 1 ratio holds up.  

It would be nice to get one into the deer fridge before next weekends gun opener.  

Man. With the speed of those crossbows you might should have gave it a shot and called him in. Tough call for sure but the clock is ticking. 

I started out in the truck cap blind, about 150 yards down my back shooting lane , this afternoon.  It was nice in there, thru the heavy snowfall the last couple hours,  but it has cleared up now.  I moved to a nearby tree blind at the edge of my woods.  This feels like a better location to ambush a rutting buck. 
F79F3C02-2E73-4738-880E-A935C9DEFAC6.thumb.jpeg.753dc8ea3e573569806d98e1382ae4c0.jpeg

DE1A2A55-E184-4498-9DAE-C8D55D22E7AD.thumb.jpeg.d6ae0018e9ea05dc4fecad530f93b18d.jpeg