Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Well I had to throw in the towel. Went to the last spot I found blood last night and couldn't find anymore for the life of me. Was just grid searching for hours and found a tiny drop maybe 80 yards from last blood. Got on my hands and knees for 2 hours and could only follow it for 30 yards and lost it again. Plus it was headed in a direction where I don't have permission to go on anyway. Smallest drops of blood I've ever seen. My best guess is I hit high at a steep angle (shot was less than 10 yards) and hit backstrap and the opposite shoulder. Trying not to get myself too down but 1 miss and 1 bad shot in 1 less than an hour just sucks. Nobody to blame but myself

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

Well I had to throw in the towel. Went to the last spot I found blood last night and couldn't find anymore for the life of me. Was just grid searching for hours and found a tiny drop maybe 80 yards from last blood. Got on my hands and knees for 2 hours and could only follow it for 30 yards and lost it again. Plus it was headed in a direction where I don't have permission to go on anyway. Smallest drops of blood I've ever seen. My best guess is I hit high at a steep angle (shot was less than 10 yards) and hit backstrap and the opposite shoulder. Trying not to get myself too down but 1 miss and 1 bad shot in 1 less than an hour just sucks. Nobody to blame but myself

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ridgerunner88 said:

Scariest moment of my life was walking into my stand in the dark one early morning and a bobcat screamed right next to me. Loudest, scariest sound ever and it freaked me the right out! Ended up shooting a nice 6 point that day so I will still venture out there in the dark but will never forget that scary scream!

i had this happen once and thought it was a Bobcat, but went back the next day and there were 3 porcupines in a huge pine tree.  Then i did some looking into it and they will screech like that.   Scared the crap out of me and my brother up in the Dacks walking out in the dark.  Hey it couldve been a Squatch!  lol 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Nobody knows for sure off a few photos and a hunter's notes, but for me, I'd be less optimistic based on what Chef shared. Standing pools like that without bedding are not a good sign IMO. Not a ton of blood bubbles and the blood amount while good, isn't alot of volume alone. I personally haven't experienced a scenario where a deer bleeds but doesn't bed within a few hundred yards and then keels over dead many hundreds of yards later. The longest I've seen was due to open ground (less than an inch of rye planted that week) that was expansive and the buck died within 30 yards of hitting cover, in its first bed. That was under 300 yards (high 200s). If there is a bed with blood in it, then I've most certainly seen long, long arduous track jobs and a dead deer or one that needed finishing (and would have died eventually). I think what he shared was indicative of a muscle hit high - I surely hope he clipped high lung somehow. The bit of dark blood is interesting though...

I'm hoping Chef finds it, and it's more a matter of just locating the buck in cover and trailing than anything else. We've all been there if we've hunted long enough. Good luck Chef. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 8

i had this happen once and thought it was a Bobcat, but went back the next day and there were 3 porcupines in a huge pine tree.  Then i did some looking into it and they will screech like that.   Scared the crap out of me and my brother up in the Dacks walking out in the dark.  Hey it couldve been a Squatch!  lol 

Thats very interesting, never knew they sounded like that.

The sound I heard was similar to the one in this video at 25 seconds in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, phade said:

Nobody knows for sure off a few photos and a hunter's notes, but for me, I'd be less optimistic based on what Chef shared. Standing pools like that without bedding are not a good sign IMO. Not a ton of blood bubbles and the blood amount while good, isn't alot of volume alone. I personally haven't experienced a scenario where a deer bleeds but doesn't bed within a few hundred yards and then keels over dead many hundreds of yards later. The longest I've seen was due to open ground (less than an inch of rye planted that week) that was expansive and the buck died within 30 yards of hitting cover, in its first bed. That was under 300 yards (high 200s). If there is a bed with blood in it, then I've most certainly seen long, long arduous track jobs and a dead deer or one that needed finishing (and would have died eventually). I think what he shared was indicative of a muscle hit high - I surely hope he clipped high lung somehow. The bit of dark blood is interesting though...

I'm hoping Chef finds it, and it's more a matter of just locating the buck in cover and trailing than anything else. We've all been there if we've hunted long enough. Good luck Chef. 

Muscle blood. Hope he finds but doubtful 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, phade said:

The weather, rain, isn't going to help either!

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The screams I've heard are 50 times worse. Sounded like a woman was getting murdered. 

Is Chef back on the trail yet?

So I was able to advance another 40 yards this morning on my own…. Called deer search and they came out. The dog worked very hard and ran down multiple trails but was not able to advance the track any further than I was. I am hoping this deer is still alive.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Belo said:

man our forum batting average is getting out to a rough start. 4 or 5 down I think and maybe 3 or 4 lost? 

I always appreciate the honesty of forum members posting unrecovered deer. I have to believe there are exponentially more every year that don't get posted.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

So I was able to advance another 40 yards this morning on my own…. Called deer search and they came out. The dog worked very hard and ran down multiple trails but was not able to advance the track any further than I was. I am hoping this deer is still alive.

Sucks. Hopefully you get a pic or a sighting of him soon for some closure.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

man our forum batting average is getting out to a rough start. 4 or 5 down I think and maybe 3 or 4 lost? 

I cringe and shake my head whenever I hear people say it was "quartering to"! Most of those shots, many times just single lungers, don't end well. Guys need to learn to me more patient and wait for a better shot/angle. Live and learn...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I cringe and shake my head whenever I hear people say it was "quartering to"! Most of those shots, many times just single lungers, don't end well. Guys need to learn to me more patient and wait for a better shot/angle. Live and learn...

This!!!!  And yet some on here say they let the higher powers take control of their projectile. 

• Like 1