Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

8 hours ago, phantom said:

Obviously, I know someone who  teaches archery had a shop to and won Tournaments . You know what he told me one time  He rarely hunts with a bow anymore cause even he lost deer From bad shots or the deer moving out of way or branches . He just rather wait till gun seaaon . Told me  Probably 90% of the guys that come in his shop have no business hunting  with a bow or  Aren't good enough to shoot a deer more than 10 yd away with one even with the new high tech gear . He  thinks  a lot of bad shots is  because people don't  Practicine in the same position that they are actually hunting in or from,   You hunt deer from a tree stand you should practice from a tree stand in the woods same set up . If you hunt from a blind you should practice from the blind. If you dont he said you should only take shots  from half your practice distance . 

i dont belive this at all- i think its hyperbole from him.  That 90% of people cant shoot a deer at 10 yards?  it isnt that hard to shoot a bow. Sounds more like to me he might think he is a champion archer as well.  That being said most bad shots are taken cause its the heat of the moment excitement, a poor decision on when to shoot, etc.    And i also believe that not all practice has to come out of a treestand to be proficient.  I am no champion archer, Ive made some great shots and have made some poor ones.  Its far more about when is it a good shot, what is a good range for you, far more than not being able to shoot 20 yards.  And just because i dont practice out of a blind doesnt mean i should limit myself to 10-15 yards.  I think he is exaggerating.    Now i would say inexperienced archers or any archers shouldnt be shooting past what they are effective at on the range for sure. And even archers that are able to hit at 70 yards shouldnt shoot that far at a whitetail.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i dont belive this at all- i think its hyperbole from him.  That 90% of people cant shoot a deer at 10 yards?  it isnt that hard to shoot a bow. Sounds more like to me he might think he is a champion archer as well.  That being said most bad shots are taken cause its the heat of the moment excitement, a poor decision on when to shoot, etc.    And i also believe that not all practice has to come out of a treestand to be proficient.  I am no champion archer, Ive made some great shots and have made some poor ones.  Its far more about when is it a good shot, what is a good range for you, far more than not being able to shoot 20 yards.  And just because i dont practice out of a blind doesnt mean i should limit myself to 10-15 yards.  I think he is exaggerating.    Now i would say inexperienced archers or any archers shouldnt be shooting past what they are effective at on the range for sure. And even archers that are able to hit at 70 yards shouldnt shoot that far at a whitetail.

I think this archer phantom knows is going a bit too extreme , and it’s entirely possible he’s a terrible  hunter and that’s why he gave it up .  But some of what was posted makes sense.  Yes it’s not hard shooting a bow when we’re standing in our yard or at a shop shooting it’s optimal conditions - stance,  etc is all correct . In a stand your maybe  crouching a bit to shoot under a branch , you’re  feet are no where’s near set right , your twisting a bit at the waist around your tree. Practicing these positions from a tree stand or elevated position is very important to see what affects it has on one’s shot . Every time I hear about someone saying their shot was high out of a tree stand  the first thing I think of is did they drop their arm instead of bending at the waist. We are all prone to making mistakes at the heat of the moment , but if we practice in these weird positions it would help decrease those bad shots. And as for the 10 yards and down comment yeah a bit extreme . 

• Like 1

Slob just moved through behind me about 70 yards out . Mass, height and width,  just took his time, moving through .Nice to see him on his feet well into daylight .

I headed in this morning just as I could start to see, saw a lone big body in a field that I was able to avoid spooking

Warmer then they said.

• Like 5

I think this archer phantom knows is going a bit too extreme , and it’s entirely possible he’s a terrible  hunter and that’s why he gave it up .  But some of what was posted makes sense.  Yes it’s not hard shooting a bow when we’re standing in our yard or at a shop shooting it’s optimal conditions - stance,  etc is all correct . In a stand your maybe  crouching a bit to shoot under a branch , you’re  feet are no where’s near set right , your twisting a bit at the waist around your tree. Practicing these positions from a tree stand or elevated position is very important to see what affects it has on one’s shot . Every time I hear about someone saying their shot was high out of a tree stand  the first thing I think of is did they drop their arm instead of bending at the waist. We are all prone to making mistakes at the heat of the moment , but if we practice in these weird positions it would help decrease those bad shots. And as for the 10 yards and down comment yeah a bit extreme . 

Thats why we like to see full attendance for Treestand Week at the Academy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Just had a scrubby 7pt sniffing and harassing a doe and fawn at 30 yards. Saw a different small buck chasing a doe around in a field for about an hour last evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd rut beginning

18 hours ago, BizCT said:

I always appreciate the honesty of forum members posting unrecovered deer. I have to believe there are exponentially more every year that don't get posted.

100% agree. We can all learn from mistakes. Often more than we can from success. Ego's get in the way sometimes and we need to do better as a group there. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I don't post often, but when I read Phantoms post I had to.  Also, this is my favorite time of the year, so it's time to get started anyway.

I'm with Robhuntandfish; this is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read this year.  First off, the guy is a master archer, owns a shop, won competitively but just quits because it's tough.  Something isn't right, and if it is, I'd find a new shop, mentor, and archer to learn from.   It sounds like he discourages rather than encourages.  I don't know him but it sounds like his enthusiasm is gone.

17 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

I cringe and shake my head whenever I hear people say it was "quartering to"! Most of those shots, many times just single lungers, don't end well. Guys need to learn to me more patient and wait for a better shot/angle. Live and learn...

buck fever is a hell of a thing. I really bought into some of the stuff the guys on the hunting public were talking about in their 2019 season. They mention that every hunter goes in and plans on taking the nice broadside or quartering away shot, but then sometimes in the moment the adrenaline and the antlers gets the best of us. One of the guys was very honest about it and I appreciate that kind of discussion more than the guy who is up on his high horse about how perfect he is. 

It's a big reason many are switching to high FOC cut on contact setups, so that if the shot isn't ideal and you know you might cave to a less than ideal shot, or and more likely, your shot just isn't perfect you can blow through that shoulder and not just wound by wacking the shoulder or shoot behind and clip a lung or miss the vitals entirely. Best case a lot of times is that you clip a lung and exit guts, which we saw with a hunter already this year. Some of those really suck because the deer is dead but there's no blood as the guts plug the exit wound.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Just had a scrubby 7pt sniffing and harassing a doe and fawn at 30 yards. Saw a different small buck chasing a doe around in a field for about an hour last evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me, or is everything 2 weeks early this year?  Apples, acorns and even the deer?  Bachelor groups have broken up by me, and I think they are SLAMMING the acorns already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I may have wrote that wrong, His exact words as  I remember were 90% not good enough  or  should not be shooting deer from more then  ten yards away   specifically what percent  Shouldn't be bow hunting at all he didn't say  he was saying   He knows that a lot of these guys that came in the shop don't even practice they  shot few  arrows just before the season and that it . He was saying  you should  strive for 100% accuracy when hunting and who wants to track a  Wounded deer all night long only to never find it sometimes . He was saying you should shoot your bow with almost rifle like  Accuracy at the range you want to hunt at .   Because in the field as anybody who hunts  knows you got weather you got  Heavy clothes you got exhaustion  You have sleep deprivation branches  Bunch of variables . That you dont have to deal with at a archery or gun range for that matter . He was telling me yea  You  know I could teach someone to shoot a new bow  pretty good in here but  it's not at a  target that can move  it's not an elevated target it's not windy cold rainy in here  and it's not under stress .  You take all those factors and your  1"  group at 10 yards   range will not be at that deer  he was saying .

21 minutes ago, Belo said:

100% agree. We can all learn from mistakes. Often more than we can from success. Ego's get in the way sometimes and we need to do better as a group there. 

I don't really differentiate it too much from social media groups, short of the smallness that is the active member count here. I also don't think it's hunting specific. People in generality either post only the best of their lives or post everything, unfiltered. Not alot of people nail the middle - and no fault of their own as its human nature.

Example - Guy gets fired for not showing up on time despite all the support he needed. Finds new job. His post on LI talks about how he is moving to X company and that he is expanding his role, etc....you'd think he is the next up and comer.

Meanwhile, you know that dude couldn't show up to work on time because he was running around on his wife and getting hungover when the wife was out of town traveling for her job. 

The less benign example is just that people don't think to post about the struggles of life and post only the big, polished moments. Creates a next generation keeping up with the Jones effect.

• Like 2

That Ohio buck was at my stand area morning and evening yesterday. Slight piece of the puzzle. I have him heading at that direction @4:30AM on the bean field, and showing up almost a quarter mile away at 7-7:30AM in the interior of a big block of timber. Not sure where he is going in between 430-7 because his approach to the cam in the AM is from the opposite direction of the cam that took his photo at 430AM. Maybe a big loop taking place. He came from the same direction at 7 last night. He has to be bedding very close by the stand and I have flooded timber. He's somewhere nearby that IMO. There is 5-10 acres of flooded timber - ducks galore, a landbridge between it and then a marsh. He appears to be coming from where the flooded timber/land bridge meet.

411FFE20-4F83-437E-BE59-50E459BAA90E.jpeg

EECF03BF-7EDD-4462-9559-D8F1CBFA3C6E.jpeg

E535D2BE-52C6-4BC7-810D-1CDCB40477F4.jpeg

BA155A20-4313-4FF8-A38A-92FB60253039.jpeg

282A8316-20DC-422E-A2AF-CA45A184338A.jpeg

52ABAF8B-AD2E-4EA1-9DA0-A736F0A47A63.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, phade said:

That Ohio buck was at my stand area morning and evening yesterday. Slight piece of the puzzle. I have him heading at that direction @4:30AM on the bean field, and showing up almost a quarter mile away at 7-7:30AM in the interior of a big block of timber. Not sure where he is going in between 430-7 because his approach to the cam in the AM is from the opposite direction of the cam that took his photo at 430AM. Maybe a big loop taking place. He came from the same direction at 7 last night. He has to be bedding very close by the stand and I have flooded timber. He's somewhere nearby that IMO. There is 5-10 acres of flooded timber - ducks galore, a landbridge between it and then a marsh. He appears to be coming from where the flooded timber/land bridge meet.

411FFE20-4F83-437E-BE59-50E459BAA90E.jpeg

EECF03BF-7EDD-4462-9559-D8F1CBFA3C6E.jpeg

E535D2BE-52C6-4BC7-810D-1CDCB40477F4.jpeg

BA155A20-4313-4FF8-A38A-92FB60253039.jpeg

282A8316-20DC-422E-A2AF-CA45A184338A.jpeg

52ABAF8B-AD2E-4EA1-9DA0-A736F0A47A63.jpeg

and there's one behind him too at 722am. Good luck

13 hours ago, rob-c said:

My comment was not meant to be derogatory, yes stuff happens especially with archer equipment. Hence why archers need to be a bit more selective with how they pick that shot . I’ve passed up countless deer because they did not give a good archery kill shot. Now having said that , I’ve lost 2 deer in all my years hunting and it  sucks no doubt. We all get excited and that’s the best part,  but us archers owe it to the deer we hunt to try and make the very best quick kill shot we can. I am genuinely surprised that some are taking these marginal shots. 

and yet there are some that think the crossbow is the cure all. If anything it will be less experienced string and arrow hunters taking shots they're comfortable with a gun but with a bolt. It's not often that archers shots are poor, but their shot choice is from being caught up in the moment. the crossbow doesn't solve any of this, it just puts more guys with less education in the woods.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

and yet there are some that think the crossbow is the cure all. If anything it will be less experienced string and arrow hunters taking shots they're comfortable with a gun but with a bolt. It's not often that archers shots are poor, but their shot choice is from being caught up in the moment. the crossbow doesn't solve any of this, it just puts more guys with less education in the woods.

Which is why it needs to be made archery equipment and archery course required. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I stopped reading when he said the guy no longer deer hunts with a bow, and waits for gun. I'd give up my first born before I stopped bow hunting lol. Tells me he's a target shooter and nothing more. Many guys can win gold medals shooting at a target and be some of the worst shots in the woods. They are not the same thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob-c said:

you're right here. I will add too that many hunters discount prep. I know a few here that put in the time like I do, but many don't. I spend weekends and countless hours trimming shooting lanes, adjusting stand placement, clearing runs etc. Sometimes we get caught in taking a bad shot because it was the only shot we had on that nice buck. My advice to all here is to spend more time in August and September working your stands so that you don't have to rely on that one shooting lane only. If you're hunting a field, set a marker out at the distance you're comfortable shooting with and then you don't have to rely on your range finder in the heat of the moment. So many things we can do to prep for hunting that will pay off.

• Like 1