Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Leaving now to head west for an out of state hunt in 3N, NY. 60°, perfect west wind for an entry and setting up near acorns (maybe and hopefully the only acorns east of the Hudson River this year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Good sir this afternoon, saw 2 fawns a doe and a spike. Something big moving in the thick not sure what it was. Won’t be back out till Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like you have a good spot, but I’d be cautious to overhunt early if you’re after a mature buck.

Sincerely, unsolicited advice haha

People laugh but I’m friends with a lot of deputies and they call me every time they gotta shoot one. I get 20-30lbs of em on average and the backstraps are always fine. I also never gut them.

Found a real nice fresh buck last year, was nothing to do just the back straps and they were delicious. Makes me feel better that an animal doesn’t just lose its life for nothing.

• Like 2

Seems like you have a good spot, but I’d be cautious to overhunt early if you’re after a mature buck.

It’s a fairly large piece… I move around from stand to stand. It’s also suburbia so human scent isn’t so disturbing to them. They aren’t Moving on too much

• Like 2

Im not sure if I posted this yet but the morning hunt had 2 small bucks 10 yards away but on the wrong side offering no shot opportunity. We stuck it out until 11am then called it quits.

Now we just got back into a field right next to the club house where a small button buck has been hanging around for almost three weeks now. He’s an orphan from the early September season. Everyone was on board with leaving him alone until one of the youths can come out. We just need him to show up now. If he doesn’t tonight we will try again tomorrow morning

• Like 2

Really open spot and a bit of a gamble. We’re probably flirting with wind going to likely bedding. That said we’re on the right side of the wind for a pinch with a narrow trail inside 5 yards from corn field edge. Only one shooting lane into the field. Hoping he walks by there. 

1580D759-3F21-4E30-8486-D0918469BA2E.png

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Just passed a really nice 2yr old.  Good mass but real short tines but with some junk.  Fed in front of me for a few minutes.  Still about 30yds but in the brush.  Good to be back hunting.  I did pick the bow up.   Now where is dad.  Lol

Compound?

Got some time left but this is getting disappointing/frustrating/sad. The deer came out and instead of coming east like he’s done every single time he went west instead. Less than an hour of hunting left today and we haven’t seen him in probably over an hour.

We have tomorrow morning to try as well if tonight doesn’t pan out

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Belo said:

4 hours ago, Chef said:

It’s a fairly large piece… I move around from stand to stand. It’s also suburbia so human scent isn’t so disturbing to them. They aren’t Moving on too much

That's the difference between suburbia deer and rural deer.  Suburbia deer are used to human scent and interaction,  they do not blow out to the next county with an encounter, BUT they will pattern you and adjust their travel.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Got some time left but this is getting disappointing/frustrating/sad. The deer came out and instead of coming east like he’s done every single time he went west instead. Less than an hour of hunting left today and we haven’t seen him in probably over an hour.

We have tomorrow morning to try as well if tonight doesn’t pan out

It's not for lack of trying! I remember how frustrating it was when I was taking my daughter out for youth season. You feel a lot of pressure to put them on a deer, so they stay interested in hunting, and it sucks when it doesn't happen. Stay positive and make the time you spend in the blind together as enjoyable as you can, deer or no deer. Funny, it reminds me of a time when I was in a blind with my daughter. We were having some laughs and she said, "Dad, some girls bond with their Dad over sports, but we bond over hunting." I will never forget that! :cool:

• Like 3