Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

I am in for my last early antlerless hunt, ready for a doe or a bushytail.  The rain finally stopped, but the west wind is pretty gusty.  Don’t know if anything will be moving.  My parents saw deer back here, the last few evenings.  I am going to give it till 7:28 (10 min past sunset in this location).

70AEA6AB-0C76-48E1-BA44-6F85D2003AF1.thumb.jpeg.8d7ebfa18f1e35862d40ddc406be1ea6.jpeg

• Like 4

No deer seen tonight.  I quit 15 minutes before sunset, because I didn’t feel like dealing with another deer carcass tonight, after staying up till midnight butchering a doe last night.  Also, I have to take an early flight for work in the morning and needed some time to pack for that.

There was a little mishap on my walk out.  I had to shoot the pellet gun to unload it and a chipmunk showed up at the wrong place and the wrong time.  I wanted to use its tail for making fishing jigs.  

The .177 pellet looked like it passed thru behind the shoulder and a little high, from about 20 yards away.  That temporarily stunned it.  Right after I took this picture, it awoke suddenly and scampered into the rock wall, never to be seen again.  No tail for me.  

I guess I should have reloaded and stuck my muzzle in its eye looking for a blink like I ALWAYS do with deer when I walk up to them.  I thought I could skip that step with a chipmunk.  D9152656-267B-4CAE-8D3C-0B4C0A168DAF.thumb.jpeg.d3cc74b61c1253daded93af98a67578e.jpeg

I re-learned the same lesson that a buddy learned when he dropped a small antlered buck with a high back hit at my place a few years ago.  He used his trigger finger to text me that he “had one down”.  Too bad he didn’t use it on his trigger instead.  That buck got up and got away, never to be seen again.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

No deer seen tonight.  I quit 15 minutes before sunset, because I didn’t feel like dealing with another deer carcass tonight, after staying up till midnight butchering a doe last night.  Also, I have to take an early flight for work in the morning and needed some time to pack for that.

There was a little mishap on my walk out.  I had to shoot the pellet gun to unload it and a chipmunk showed up at the wrong place and the wrong time.  I wanted to use its tail for making fishing jigs.  

The .177 pellet looked like it passed thru behind the shoulder and a little high, from about 20 yards away.  That temporarily stunned it.  Right after I took this picture, it awoke suddenly and scampered into the rock wall, never to be seen again.  No tail for me.  

I guess I should have reloaded and stuck my muzzle in its eye looking for a blink like I ALWAYS do with deer when I walk up to them.  I thought I could skip that step with a chipmunk.  D9152656-267B-4CAE-8D3C-0B4C0A168DAF.thumb.jpeg.d3cc74b61c1253daded93af98a67578e.jpeg

I re-learned the same lesson that a buddy learned when he dropped a small antlered buck with a high back hit at my place a few years ago.  He used his trigger finger to text me that he “had one down”.  Too bad he didn’t use it on his trigger instead.  That buck got up and got away, never to be seen again.  

I'm in the same boat (or plane) the last thing I needed was to track a deer through the bush all night and then get up at 3am for a flight out of SYR.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Judoka95 said:

I'm in the same boat (or plane) the last thing I needed was to track a deer through the bush all night and then get up at 3am for a flight out of SYR.

I am in Buffalo and about to get on plane to Chicago right now, then off to upper Wisconsin 3 days for work.  Glad to have gotten a few hours of rest.   I think I have enough venison in the freezer for a year (first doe made 17 packs of grind and 4 packs of backstrap), but I’ll start working on the next (3) tags up in the northern zone on the October 15 ML opener.  A little “extra” meat vacuum-sealed in the freezer, never goes to waste. 

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am in Buffalo and about to get on plane to Chicago right now, then off to upper Wisconsin 3 days for work.  Glad to have gotten a few hours of rest.   I think I have enough venison in the freezer for a year (first doe made 17 packs of grind and 4 packs of backstrap), but I’ll start working on the next (3) tags up in the northern zone on the October 15 ML opener.  A little “extra” meat vacuum-sealed in the freezer, never goes to waste. 

Damn. We almost could have met. I'm flying to Chicago Wednesday. I once had a beer with @The_Real_TCIIIat ORD airport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Damn. We almost could have met. I'm flying to Chicago Wednesday. I once had a beer with @The_Real_TCIIIat ORD airport.

Just landed, will be off to GB in a couple minutes.  Flight out of Buffalo got delayed 30 min, F7EB65F3-DA61-4F98-AB9E-2D821519B501.thumb.jpeg.f9e5480b4945bb11af3e85ffb8184b81.jpegso no time for breakfast in Chicago.  I will have to go for an extra large lunch in GB.  The mood there should be good after the pummeling the packers just gave the bears.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BizCT said:

Are you flying into O’Hare this time ?   My layover on return this Wed will be about 1:00-2:00 pm , if all goes well with the rest of the work out here in WI.  We could maybe do a late lunch at the airport, if the timing works out.  It looked like there were lots of fancy places to eat at that airport.  

Edited by wolc123

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Are you flying into O’Hare this time ?   My layover on return this Wed will be about 1:00-2:00 pm , if all goes well with the rest of the work out here in WI.  We could maybe do a late lunch at the airport, if the timing works out.  It looked like there were lots of fancy places to eat at that airport.  

Damn. I don't land until 1:35pm (terminal 2)

35 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

t.  It looked like there were lots of fancy places to eat at that airport.  

I recommend the Untied club,I that airport  , if you’re on that  airline , $60 day pass open bar and food . I had salad, meatballs, two wraps , four gin and tonics .Sat in big comfy chairs, charged up our phones all away from the masses .

Youll pay big bucks for food and drink out in the terminal areas , like $25 for a glass of wine .

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Damn. I don't land until 1:35pm (terminal 2)

I am flying United, but won’t be time for the club.  Maybe time for a  $25 shot of Yeager ?  I’ll pm you my departure gate number on Wed and we could meet at the closest airport terminal bar.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am flying United, but won’t be time for the club.  Maybe time for a  $25 shot of Yeager ?  I’ll pm you my departure gate number on Wed and we could meet at the closest airport terminal bar.  

Sounds good. I'll PM you my cell #, just text me

21 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Good luck, I sent Wolc a PM on December 26, 2014 and he still hasnt replied lol!

I lost your number Tacs, with my old smart phone.  I’m trying to take better care of this one.

Good Bill’s game last night, except for the injury’s.  I said a few prayers for the guys who were injured.  

It was different, watching that game in a bar full of unfocused cheeseheads.  I think it’s going to be GB and Buffalo in the super bowl this year, and Buffalo will win.  Remember that you heard it here first.  If I see Biz tomorrow in Chicago, I’ll see what he thinks of that.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wolc123 said:

At least we have a 13 day break from deer hunting in upstate NY right now, so I can get some other work done, like hauling in enough firewood for winter:

3EC77135-EFDA-4B1D-9CBE-E4CE020BD5C8.thumb.jpeg.fcb8758d5e7fc4efc2d33702bf5517b1.jpeg

Tell me more about getting firewood out with a team or horses.  Looks like they are hooked up to a hell of a load of log length.  

7 hours ago, mowin said:

Tell me more about getting firewood out with a team or horses.  Looks like they are hooked up to a hell of a load of log length.  

Those are actually concrete timber logs, not firewood, at the Marinette logging museum.  It was closed when I got there, so I couldn’t get inside of the buildings.  

This concrete horse display is out front.  The museum was only open this year between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  

There is 10 full cords of wood on that mud boat, per the sign in front. 7A8254F9-2887-4041-A7E2-8A253A4B31B2.thumb.jpeg.5118895776acb971882cfbbef71133c1.jpeg

Those horses look like Clydesdales, which are better suited for pulling beer wagons. They are full size.  I have a scaled down one in front of my barn at home.  

My dad and grandfather used to use a team Percherons for pulling out logs (those are the ones that are black and turn gray when they get old).  

Horses do significantly less damage to the forrest floor than tractors, when the ground is not frozen or dry.  I used to have a tricycle-front tractor, which was easier on the forrest floor than wide-front tractors, but not quite as gentle on them as the horses.  

12 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Those are actually concrete timber logs, not firewood, at the Marinette logging museum.  It was closed when I got there, so I couldn’t get inside of the buildings.  

This concrete horse display is out front.  The museum was only open this year between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  

There is 10 full cords of wood on that mud boat, per the sign in front. 7A8254F9-2887-4041-A7E2-8A253A4B31B2.thumb.jpeg.5118895776acb971882cfbbef71133c1.jpeg

Those horses look like Clydesdales, which are better suited for pulling beer wagons. They are full size.  I have a scaled down one in front of my barn at home.  

My dad and grandfather used to use a team Percherons for pulling out logs (those are the ones that are black and turn gray when they get old).  

Horses do significantly less damage to the forrest floor than tractors, when the ground is not frozen or dry.  I used to have a tricycle-front tractor, which was easier on the forrest floor than wide-front tractors, but not quite as gentle on them as the horses.  

They sure looked real, lol. Thought from the pic you were still using horses. Watched a show yrs ago about logging with horses. It's definitely not a easy operation.

2 hours ago, mowin said:

They sure looked real, lol. Thought from the pic you were still using horses. Watched a show yrs ago about logging with horses. It's definitely not a easy operation.

They are damn good replicas for sure, a lot better than the little one in front of my barn with half the paint wore off.  I need to see if I can get our “artist” daughter to touch it up for me some day.