Rut predictions?

YFKI1983

Anyone have any insight?

I'm def hunting Nov 4-8. Hope that's not late this year. I will try be out Halloween and a couple days after.

My cams are pretty slow right now. I'm assuming nobody is seeing chasing yet?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You’re right in there I usually take off the 5th-13th in that time frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Same time as every other year.  Once October 25 hits consider it on at least in my area that’s what I see. 
I've always called 10/25 deer day. Killed a few on that day and from that day on I consider it good for the next month.

Everyone likes to talk about the rut. But just before lockdown when the bucks are searching and the does haven't quite got there yet is always good.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've always called 10/25 deer day. Killed a few on that day and from that day on I consider it good for the next month.

Everyone likes to talk about the rut. But just before lockdown when the bucks are searching and the does haven't quite got there yet is always good.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I agree my favorite time of year is that last week of October. Bucks want to get the does and most the does aren’t ready yet so bucks are searching non stop looking for the first doe in heat. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, land 1 said:

I like when people ask when the rut will be "This year" well as far as i have ever seen same as last year and the year before etc, now  there are factors as far as how much action you see but the rut is basically the same time every year....

Yes sir. You hit the nail on the head. This thread comes up every year. And my answer is always the same.

Get out as much as you can from Halloween to the end of November. But the "magic" day is November 10th. And the five days before and after. These are the days when you'll see bucks standing in the middle of a field in daylight. Running across the road in front of your truck. Blindly following the scent of a doe coming close to estrous. These are the take your vacation, sit as long as you can in the woods days. 

Happens the same time every year.

• Like 6

I know many of us know this but thought I'd share anyway for those that don't.

If you figure in NY State, most fawns are born from mid-May through mid-June, then you can assume that June 1st would be the prime day for fawn births. Count back 202 days for gestation to November 11 (prime day) so the first heat comes in about 2 weeks earlier or October 28th until November 25th each year.

• Like 6

I have 3 or 4 stands that I won't hunt or go near until the tail end of Oct or early November. I save them for the prime rut, adult buck movement days. In years past I've seen good buck movement Oct 27th, but Nov 2nd through the the 9th  seem to be the best days and the cold high pressure days following a cold front during that time are the days I hope to be out there.  I've had a few sits so far this year, but have mainly found myself scouting new areas and putting new stands up on public land.

5 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

same as always, first 2 weeks NOV, pre rut is just as good to kill them tho

I prefer the edges of the rut over the middle. Big bucks don't have to look for hot does when 3/4 of them are in heat.

They have to look harder when less are available.

8 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

I know many of us know this but thought I'd share anyway for those that don't.

If you figure in NY State, most fawns are born from mid-May through mid-June, then you can assume that June 1st would be the prime day for fawn births. Count back 202 days for gestation to November 11 (prime day) so the first heat comes in about 2 weeks earlier or October 28th until November 25th each year.

def agree - Oct 25-Nov 25 is what i count on every year.  Hunt as much as I can in this time

• Like 1

There is always alot of debate around this topic. 

While fun, I don't think it's the best time to kill a specific buck or even a few target deer due to the uncontrollable nature of the rut. I take my time each year then to travel and see what seat time brings, but I generally have more confidence in early and late season activity based off pattern behavior.

Hunting NY a lot, I haven't seen a ton of rutting action after regular season opens. Largely due to pressure I am sure, influencing where/when/how that happens. I can recall maybe 4-5 times in all my years and most of them were at one specific property that was very low pressure comparatively and annoyingly over the border where we couldn't hunt.

Last year, I went to Ohio after opening weekend of regular here in NY. Chose to hunt the weekend with the bow in Ohio and be there for opening day of their regular on the Monday after T-Day. I saw what inarguably would be the best rutting action I've ever witnessed from a stand on that Saturday. You'd have thought it was Nov 11. Multiple shooter bucks working around a doe group in a bedding area and a knockdown fight between the two largest. It definitely drove home the point for me that I've heard alot of midwest/experienced bowhunters say that they see more bucks during the first few weeks of November, but that the really large mature ones are more vulnerable on the tail end of the rut around the week of T-Day.

• Like 5

Lilke Phade eluded to, best time for hunting bucks is about Nov 4th-10th, +/- a few days per weather, doe density, etc. They're in the seeking mode and not vigorously chasing does. They seem to be on a leisurely walk seeing does and can easily be stopped for a shot. Numerous years I've seen bucks doing this walk-about the end of October. May be more of an inventorying journey for their future reference. The true rut is fun to watch, but generally not a lot of shot opportunities. Unless you happen to catch a buck away from his home base or one seeking between does.

Edited by nyslowhand

On 10/18/2022 at 5:06 AM, BowmanMike said:

I prefer the edges of the rut over the middle. Big bucks don't have to look for hot does when 3/4 of them are in heat.

They have to look harder when less are available.

3/4 of my last archery bucks have been oct 18-24

Same time as always in dutchess county... 11/7 - 11/18

That being said I did shoot the biggest buck of my life on 11/24 last year that was tending a doe middle of the day

Before we Xbow/bow hunted and only shotgun hunted in 3N, every 5-6 years we’d catch a good chasing activity run for opening weekend of gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro