Need a way to get across a creek

martinhunter12

I have a property that I can hunt and to get to the back of the property you have to cross a big creek. I believe it is about 20 yards wide. and i would say it is about 4 feet deep. We were thinking about building a bridge. In the middle put two posts in and they would kind of be like posts on a dock. Any other suggestions? thanks

What kind of current do you have during the spring run-off. You may be surprised at the kind of force current-driven ice can exert on bridge pilings. Any supports anchored out in the middle will have to be driven very deep into the creek bottom.

What would be the use of the bridge, just for foot traffic, or ATV, or something bigger?

• Like 1

The OP said the water is 4 feet deep . He would need chest waders .....

4 feet deep and 60 feet wide ... what about a John-Boat .

This was another option, but the only thing we did not like about this is that deer walk very close to the creek edges and the boat would be varying on location when we cross the creek and I fear the deer will notice it and get spooked? But this is our final option I believe.

The OP said the water is 4 feet deep . He would need chest waders .....

4 feet deep and 60 feet wide ... what about a John-Boat .

Depends on current speed, we kicked that idea around too. A guide rope and a boat or kayak would be ok but then you have to secure it in the area ect. Our creek goes way to fast when its up for that, not sure about the OP. 

What about a floating bridge tied of say 20' of each side of bank on some pontoons say something like those blue water barrels tethered with some courage and some sort of top plywood or rough cut or something....would allow bridge to move up and down with rising waters.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Flat bottom boat with a pull rope would do the trick, regardless of depth.  Used that set up before.

BTW, was under the assumption that the DEC  (or other state agency) had some regs around putting bridges over flowing waterways.  Might check before you build anything, just in case...