Where do we stand with crossbows

Tinlodge

Many people are wondering where we stand with the crossbow.

Back at the end of January the Governor included, as part of his budget proposal, language that would legalize the crossbow as a hunting implement and turn regulatory authority over to the DEC for its use.  This has put us in the best position to see crossbows becoming a legal hunting implement, but it is not guaranteed.

First let me clarify, if everyone does not engage in the process we may not be able to capitalize on this opportunity. The budget process requires the Executive, the Assembly and the Senate to agree on keeping this in the final budget that will be voted on before April 1st.  This was introduced by the Governor (Executive) and has had the support of the Senate for the past 2 years, we have fairly strong support in that chamber, but there is still opposition. We really need to focus support in the Assembly. Unlike the legislative process, the budget process involves budget conference committees for each issue (ie environmental conservation) so crossbows will be discussed by the conference committee during the budget process.  Since the issue is presented through the budget, it can’t be blocked from discussion as in the past.

This is where we all come into the process. Legislators need to hear from their constituents about their opinions on this. We must let them know our wishes and ask that they speak to their leadership about our wishes. We must ask they sign onto the letters of support circulating in their conferences. Then we must also contact the leadership of the Assembly and Senate ourselves and ask that they support keeping the crossbow in the budget as was proposed by the Governor, without modification. (Contact Information below).

Our position is the best it has ever been, but again, we are not home free. Please take the time to contact your representatives by mail, email and/or phone. If they already support this thank them, if not remind them you are a voter in their district and you request them to support this. Call again in a week and ask them again what their position is. This is Ours to Lose, but only if we don’t all work together.

Talking points to include
1) If you are a current or former bow hunter, be sure to let them know
2) Ask them to support granting regulatory authority for crossbow to the DEC as proposed in the Governors Budget Proposal
3) If you own a crossbow and hunt in other states so you can use your crossbow let them know
4) If you are a non resident, let them know you want to hunt in NY with your crossbow

If you don’t know who your legislator is or how to contact them, you can look them up online at http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?sh=search for the Assembly or http://www.nysenate.gov/ for the Senate. Enter your address and it will show who your legislator is and how to contact them. If you can’t find them you can call the main switchboard and ask them to look it up for you. Assembly (518) 455-4100 or Senate (518) 455-2800.

Please take the time to call and or write this week. Time is running out.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but any group, as you have posted as a representative of that group, asking people to thank AC are just plain off their rocker. You'll get no support from me, and I was a fence sitter open to xbow in the right circumstance. To sit there and be partisan just so you can get what you want, is lame. I'm not going to thank AC for a thing.

Send your opinions to your reps...pretty simple

The devil made them. J/K

It's a lengthy topic. A lot of view points on it.

But the group that is pushing them has less than a ounce of integrity in their entire leadership. Asking people to thank AC is stupid, and that's what they did.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

crossbows are the most primitive form of weaponry. why there not legal is boggling. the amount of money this state will make of extra bow tags and sales tax money from the sale of crossbows and new hunting gear is astronomical. but then again tax money will probably just go to worthless welfare scum that out number us working class law abiding citizens. AC can shove this ploy for votes up his @#$.... anyone that votes for him a idiot. but all the lobbyist in NYC will make sure he gets back in so really our votes don't count....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

My personal stance on crossbows aside... this state is a mess. Sticking things like this in the budget that could derail or delay it is so asinine. Why not vote on the budget and keep issues like this separate. The state has had it's financial problems for years and the least of their worries should be the crossbow, and I'm sure it is. But the crossbow issue is just one in a long line of rules and regs thrown into budgets to try and get them passed. I don't get it... again regardless of where you stand. Unfortunately this puts some of those in favor of crossbows AND their second amendment rights in a tight spot. Why would a pro 2nd amendment citizen of NY ever write their assemblyman to support something Cuomo has put out?

My personal stance on crossbows aside... this state is a mess. Sticking things like this in the budget that could derail or delay it is so asinine. Why not vote on the budget and keep issues like this separate. The state has had it's financial problems for years and the least of their worries should be the crossbow, and I'm sure it is. But the crossbow issue is just one in a long line of rules and regs thrown into budgets to try and get them passed. I don't get it... again regardless of where you stand. Unfortunately this puts some of those in favor of crossbows AND their second amendment rights in a tight spot. Why would a pro 2nd amendment citizen of NY ever write their assemblyman to support something Cuomo has put out?

Its not a new concept. Youd be really surprised at what goes along with the budget each year if you read through everything. Its alot to read though, most people dont have time to look at it. Thats why they do things the way they do, so the average person has no clue whats going on.

• Like 1

I said primitive form of weaponry not cave man weapons but I'm sure your against crossbows because that have a trigger. when you probably hunt with a compound bow with a trigger lock. crossbows are pre mid evil times.

I said primitive form of weaponry not cave man weapons but I'm sure your against crossbows because that have a trigger. when you probably hunt with a compound bow with a trigger lock. crossbows are pre mid evil times.

Are you guys going to re-run all these old worn-out arguments every time the word crossbow comes up? Everybody looks at the bowhunters and whines, "Can't we all just get along .....sniff .... sniff?"  How about the rest of you abiding by that same sentiment.

No, you said "most primitive form of weaponry", which is what made the statement foolish.

Crossbows were around way before the middle ages (~401-1500 CE).  Crossbow evidence has been found in Europe and China as far back as ~500-600 BCE (possibly earlier).

The Bronze Age and most of the Iron Age (to name a couple) happened before crossbows, however, so there are plenty weapons created after "cave men" but before the crossbow.

History! Yeah!  :biggrin: 

P.S. -  What is a trigger lock for a compound bow?  Are you talking about a release?  Because is you are trying to equate holding a vertical bow at full draw with a mechanical release to aiming cocked crossbow and pulling the trigger, I can get into the foolishness of that too.

• Like 1

Its not a new concept. Youd be really surprised at what goes along with the budget each year if you read through everything. Its alot to read though, most people dont have time to look at it. Thats why they do things the way they do, so the average person has no clue whats going on.

I know it's not a new concept. And it's always pissed me off. Just as much as political parties. Why does a republican candidate have to be pro life? Run what ya brung.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NY does not have a primitive weapons season, it's archery season so I'm not even sure why your point is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

says the pot to the kettle.....

Sorry Bunkie, but I haven't engaged in any of the silly re-runs of arguments for or against crossbows in quite a while. So your comment as usual makes absolutely no sense. As far as I'm concerned it is a done deal and all this endless back and forth arguing has no real point any more, especially that stuff that is on its 23rd go around. The hunting community has decided for the bow hunters what their bow season is going to be turned into, and now it is just a case of sitting back and seeing how it all turns out. Besides, at my stage of life, who the heck cares ..... lol.

• Like 2