Grizzly bear attacks two Wyoming college wrestlers

BizCT

33 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

TG they are alive. I always go armed with at least 1 good knife when,I Hike.  Grizzly  Bears are like Hippos-- A Bad Attitude.  Glad,I only have to deal with the Less Aggressive  Black Bears.

More people are killed by black bears than grizzlies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

More people are killed by black bears than grizzlies. 

and A lot of black bear kills in Canada go undocumented as well. I've been a few remote Canadian hunts, where I was told of such instances of black bears attacking guys (some even on horses) in the "bush"

Edited by BizCT

38 minutes ago, BizCT said:

and A lot of black bear kills in Canada go undocumented as well. I've been a few remote Canadian hunts, where I was told of such instances of black bears attacking guys (some even on horses) in the "bush"

Plus a lot more black bears than grizzlies.  Few years ago one ran down some kids in new jersey  i remember

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Plus a lot more black bears than grizzlies.  Few years ago one ran down some kids in new jersey  i remember

we got a serious black bear issue in CT (no hunting). I kept only a matter of time before a politician's kid gets mauled and they change the law. some 10 year old got attacked a few days ago about 30min from me. We got 21 kids under the age of 18 in our cul de sac and the street never goes more than a few days without someone seeing a bear. These kids walk to and from the end of the road (several hundred yards) to catch bus at sunrise. I had a cub 10 yards from me in my drievway a few weeks ago while I paid an electrician.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/connecticut-boy-10-attacked-bear-back-yard-rcna52672

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

55 minutes ago, BizCT said:

we got a serious black bear issue in CT (no hunting). I kept only a matter of time before a politician's kid gets mauled and they change the law. some 10 year old got attacked a few days ago about 30min from me. We got 21 kids under the age of 18 in our cul de sac and the street never goes more than a few days without someone seeing a bear. These kids walk to and from the end of the road (several hundred yards) to catch bus at sunrise. I had a cub 10 yards from me in my drievway a few weeks ago while I paid an electrician.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/connecticut-boy-10-attacked-bear-back-yard-rcna52672

Crazy 

• Like 1

I shouldn’t be reading this right now, as I am sitting in a place where the DEC releases  trouble-making black bears and I am only armed with a ML and my Buck 110.  I was going to stay till 1/2 hour past sunset, but I think I will quit at sunset (6:12 pm). The knife is good and sharp anyhow.  
D8CFA322-3E33-415F-BA82-3177EAA659F0.thumb.jpeg.a091a9b7456394ebcd828dc9142c0612.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

I shouldn’t be reading this right now, as I am sitting in a place where the DEC releases  trouble-making black bears and I am only armed with a ML and my Buck 110.  I was going to stay till 1/2 hour past sunset, but I think I will quit at sunset (6:14).  The knife is good and sharp anyhow.  
D8CFA322-3E33-415F-BA82-3177EAA659F0.thumb.jpeg.a091a9b7456394ebcd828dc9142c0612.jpeg

don't you want to hunt low in the evening wolc?

People  going into the Forests need to pro- active. Especially  alone. I have had over 10 - up close and personal interactions  with Black Bears. A good 8 while Hiking and ,I called in 2 Black Bears during Spring Turkey Season in New Jersey. 
8 ran away and 2 stayed and watched me. A Big Black Bear came into my Hen calling by appearing at a short ridge 80 yards or less out. I had 2 1/4 ounces  of Nickel plated #4s in my Mossberg. The Bear stayed right there. 
   As a year round Hiker,I found out many years back that Black  Bears absolutely  hate the smell of Deep Woods Off with DEET. 
  Back about 12 years or so ago,I was Hiking the Allis Trail up near Greenwood Lake. A big Black Bear was sunning himself  on a Flat Rock. We saw eachother  at the same time. I had a can of Deep Woods Off with me and sprayed down again- especially  all around my Neck. 
 Down in Orange County and North New Jersey- Black Bears everywhere!   
  After all these Decades,I have never had a real problem  with a Black Bear. 

Agree it’s not an issue for us informed woodsman. But it’s an issue for little kids and parents who know nothing about the outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Definitely no joke!
Seen only 2 does this season but 2 bear!
Had a 300 plus lb bear 25 yards from my stand with 357 in my hand!
Ridiculous there’s no Bear season in NW CT.
If communist NY can have a bear season, so should CT!
The day he 10 year old kid was mauled, I had a mother & 2 cubs at my front door @ 1:30am. Glad my dog wasn’t taking a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1