Muzzleloader Recommendation?

Lawdwaz

A good friend called me tonight looking for some advice.  He has a CVA Accura 45cal that he hasn't liked since he bought it........I'm not exactly sure what the issues are but regardless; he'd like to replace it with something else.  Something around $750 or less and he has a scope or two he could use.

I'm not up on these type of inlines anymore and hope you fellers' could make some suggestions. Thanks

Nitrofire is interesting, but loads seem limited and pricey.

I picked up a traditions vortek ultralight a few years back. It came with a Nikon scope. The combo was under $200 new from DSG. shoots well, handles well, and is easy to clean. A tool free breach plug makes cleaning a breeze.

A fast twist .45 gives one several bullet choices.  Still plenty of choices for the .50 too.

Switching this late in the year may limit his choices to what is available vs what .45 bullets he had on hand. 

If we're me I'd be looking at a used tc omega,they are going 300 to 500 on GB but I'm sure one could be found cheaper . I have three myself. 

I'd be curious to know what version /model accura your friend doesn't like .  Cva has great customer svc I'm told ,perhaps he could call cva and exchange it for an optima or even a paramount.  The wolf is a lower model in their line up but still a fine shooter. 

For a few bucks more he could go smokeless, maybe a Bestill creations or hankens because for 750 he's going to be top of the line in the BP muzzleloader range 

I like this site for reference :

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/inline-muzzleloaders

10 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I honestly did not know there was anything better then a CVA with 100g of blackhorn and a 300g shockwave. Both of mine shoot amazing. 

Me, either. The Accura V2 with a nitride barrel is my and my buddies go-to. We load it a bit hotter with 110g of Blackhorn. It's a tack driver, and easy to clean with the foaming bore cleaner, as mentioned above. To each their own, I guess.

• Like 2

The only thing that bugs me now about cva is you need to buy a  bh209 plug to ignite it 100% of the time .

TC use to be the big dog on campus now CVA is . That said any new inline will be a shooter with today's modern powders and bullets 

I love my TC Encore. Nothing bad to say about it at all. Lots of aftermarket parts/upgrades/goodies for it. Being able to swap the barrels, stocks, etc makes it extremely versatile too. 

Also have a CVA Accura that is going to my son that is a very nice rifle as well. I don’t like the breech plug design quite as much as my TC, as it has way more threads and takes longer to remove or install, but that’s the only thing I don’t like about it. 

Larry - I can likely get you good pricing on a few brands - quite a few ppl in this thread and site are running MZ from me/my hunting partner. I know we have a handful in stock. Several Wolf models, but I think we also have a few higher end Accuras (L series, maybe? I'd have to check).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Nitrofire is interesting, but loads seem limited and pricey.

I picked up a traditions vortek ultralight a few years back. It came with a Nikon scope. The combo was under $200 new from DSG. shoots well, handles well, and is easy to clean. A tool free breach plug makes cleaning a breeze.

Vortek UL at $200 is highway robbery, even years ago pricing levels.

42 minutes ago, phade said:

Larry - I can likely get you good pricing on a few brands - quite a few ppl in this thread and site are running MZ from me/my hunting partner. I know we have a handful in stock. Several Wolf models, but I think we also have a few higher end Accuras (L series, maybe? I'd have to check).

Accura has a LR ( long range ) and a couple LRX ( long range  extreme ) and maybe even a MR( mountain rifle ) variants out that I know of . 

All good choices 

3 hours ago, phade said:

Vortek UL at $200 is highway robbery, even years ago pricing levels.

I couldn't pass it up. The stock scope that came with it was junk and wouldn't hold a zero, so they replaced it with a Nikon that they were trying to clear out. It was a hell of a deal. If I remember right, retail for that setup would've been around $700, and I think all in I paid somewhere around $180. I know that's not typical and amounts to me being in the right place at the right time to jump on a deal. That's 1 of 2 guns I've bought there where I basically robbed them. The other was recently when I picked up a Howa 1500 "Randy Newberg" limited edition in 6.5 Cr. That retails for $1100ish and I grabbed it for around $400. 

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I love my TC encore pro hunter, but I suspect all TC are quality MLers.  No idea on pricing these days.

I love it too...As long as I have Moog in the blind to load it for me ( plus THROW my deer in the truck)..Hehehehe...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

I love it too...As long as I have Moog in the blind to load it for me ( plus THROW my deer in the truck)..Hehehehe...

You said it was ugly until you killed two deer in a matter of seconds with it!  Now she is purdy!  And I did finally clean the breech plug Dan.

Edited by moog5050
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I love my TC encore pro hunter, but I suspect all TC are quality MLers.  No idea on pricing these days.

I've owned a few myself over the years, all had to be tweaked slightly to get them really to be shooters. Hinge pins, firing pins and trigger job from Mike  Bellm all helped . I wasn't fond of tweaking a 700plus gun right out of the box.  Now I find myself looking again thanks alot moog

https://www.bellmtcs.com/bellm

Edited by sbuff

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Ha.ha.ha. I love my encore as well. But they are a bear to load after a shot or 2.. I've had to use a tree for an assist before.;)