Muzzleloader Recommendation?

Lawdwaz

3 minutes ago, TACC said:

I am surprised that NYS doesn't have a caliber requirement for these.

I was leaning toward getting a 50, but have seen much better stock levels in the 45 cal

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m enjoying my .45’s a lot. Granted they are sidelocks (flint and percussion) they shoot great, and eat less powder than my .50. They should both be fine on deer within my range of shooting. I haven’t had any issue finding supplies either. 

Edited by Splitear

On 10/19/2022 at 2:19 PM, ncountry said:

Ha.ha.ha. I love my encore as well. But they are a bear to load after a shot or 2.. I've had to use a tree for an assist before.;)

Wonder if this is typical of most stock TC barrels? My triumph is the same way. On the range, this is a definite problem.

• Like 1

I love my TC Encore. Nothing bad to say about it at all. Lots of aftermarket parts/upgrades/goodies for it. Being able to swap the barrels, stocks, etc makes it extremely versatile too. 

Also have a CVA Accura that is going to my son that is a very nice rifle as well. I don’t like the breech plug design quite as much as my TC, as it has way more threads and takes longer to remove or install, but that’s the only thing I don’t like about it. 

Me too, Ive killed a pile of deer with mine. Super accurate, easy to clean, points nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

How many shots can you get between pushing a brush with the white hotts? I was cleaning after every shot. 

3 or 4 with triple 7 and 5 or 6 with whitehots. Never shot more than 2 times while hunting though. The gun seems to clean easier with whitehots, but the ammo i shoot leaves red plastic lines in the rifling. I found if I leave my guns in the sun behind a window to get warm that plastic comes out easier when doing a more comprehensive cleaning. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

3 or 4 with triple 7 and 5 or 6 with whitehots. Never shot more than 2 times while hunting though. The gun seems to clean easier with whitehots, but the ammo i shoot leaves red plastic lines in the rifling. I found if I leave my guns in the sun behind a window to get warm that plastic comes out easier when doing a more comprehensive cleaning. 

I use the recommended power belt bullets and white hots in my wolf.  Ive gotten 5 shots out of mine when I last sighted it in.  Super easy clean up too.  I also never shot more than 2 in a row hunting without cleaning it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I use the recommended power belt bullets and white hots in my wolf.  Ive gotten 5 shots out of mine when I last sighted it in.  Super easy clean up too.  I also never shot more than 2 in a row hunting without cleaning it.

I like the Hornaday round, it's built like a powerbelt but seems to shoot really well. I think it's a 276grain bullet. I tried many different load ups, even the sleeved 45s and loose powder variations. But 2whitehots seems great for me.

• Like 1