Share your turkey mounts

alloutdoors

You wouldn't know it by the amount of snow in my yard, but turkey season will be here soon. Let's see your gobbler mounts from past hunts. Think spring!

I took this bird in GA last spring. 20lbs, beards were 11 1/8", 9 1/2", 8 1/2", spurs were 1 1/8" and 1".

_Q7Q7488_zps1b1fc430.jpg

_Q7Q7492_zpsf61def10.jpg

_Q7Q7503_zps56a3dea1.jpg

Inside, with one I did myself several years ago.

_Q7Q7804_zps32880f23.jpg

This one I took in NY with my bow last year, if the GA bird wasn't already at the taxidermist this one would have been. 24lbs, 10 5/16" beard, 1 7/16" spur on one side and the other busted off at 1". The fan measures 30" side to side.

_Q7Q7801_zpse5c9e59f.jpg

• Like 6

post-2630-0-52477100-1393796628_thumb.jp

A couple basic mounts...The top one is my first long beard I ever got back in 2000; 9 1/2" beard, 1" spurs.  The other one is the first bird I got with a beard over 10"... measured out at 10 1/4" with 1" spurs.  My turkey success has been pretty limited so far with 3 long beards and 9 jakes in all over the years.  Hoping for another long beard or two this season!  Would love to get a nice bird to do a full body mount with.

• Like 1

9.5" beard, 1" spurs, 24lbs!!!Beard is super thick and bushy like a paint brush!!! Got him run and gun style. Used the box call at the top of a valley so it would echo real loud, he gobbled back immediately!!! Had nice 10-15 minute conversation with him before he came right between the 2 trees I needed him to walk between at about 25 yards. Hope to get one of his buddies with the bow this year!!! post-3734-0-56152400-1393906384_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I've only life-size mounted one turkey and it has been on display at the Buffalo Gun Center since they remodeled 10 years (?) ago.  My wife tired of it and frankly so did I......................

I have two tails mounted on a cabinet door in the basement that I stapled up there 23 years ago and they still look homemade! 

The only other "mount" I have is actually pretty special.  I hunted extremely hard for this bird over the course of about 10 days before I killed him on the second last day of the season around 11:00am.  Every couple/few days he'd move his roost sight a quarter to a half mile west.  I had permission (gray area) for all the spots and finally on the day of reckoning he ran me all over this 300 acre woodlot.  I knew he had a hen and just dogged him until she went to sit on her nest.  All of a sudden his gobbles were closer.........he WAS coming!  I killed him in a narrow patch of the woods, fields on both sides and hollering like he'd hadn't seen a hen in years.  That was the most memorably birds I ever killed.  He deserved a spot on the wall so I had Bernie Seitz do a tail mount with the back feather.  No wings, spurs or beard........just enough to remember the bird and the hunt.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

One of my favorite hunts. I seldom do the early in the woods thing for turkey ,hit the woods by my house at 9:00 Had a hard time hearing because the middle school across the road was having gym class outside,soccer I believe.

But I heard some birds followed by a hen attacking my hen decoy, then this guy showed up.

Done by 9:30,perfect.

post-253-0-05723900-1393940521_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...