Grafting

Anybody involved in grafting limbs onto other trees? I have a Bartlett pear that never really took off (not enough light), and I have a seckel pear that is in great shape. The Bartlett will be coming out this year, so I want to try grafting several branches onto the seckel just to see what happens. I guess I'll be getting the scions soon. I was just wondering if anyone else here messes around with that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Three buds on the limb you are grafting and remove buds from limb your attaching to. I still use grafting wax to help seal the joint. But there are new products out there that are available. You may have to attach a splint to limb to help support it. I have best luck with 30-40 degree cut .

I worked at Kelly Brothers Nursery in Dansville many , many years ago and was a (tie-er) . The "bud-er" cut an upside down "T" in a Mulberry Bush stem , cut a bud off the scion and slid it into the T slot then I would take a thin piece of rubber and place 4 wraps on the bottom and 3 on top of the slit . The bud would heal up and the rubber would break . I think this was for dwarf fruit trees .

• 2 weeks later...

I've been grafting for 5 years - first apples last year on a seedling tree. I have had good takes some years, bad others. Be careful and not store your scion wood with apples in the fridge the ethelyne gas will kill them.

Planted out 20 of my disease resistant deer packs today from Waflers. I'm taking an acre back from our farmer. The trees were 3 years old, almost need to be rootballed. Think Waflers donated trees to the qdma dinner next weekend in ROC.

I will graft some of my other trees in a week or 2. Want to do it when the maiden tree just starts to push, assuming up you had already cut/stored your wood. If you haven't stored scion wood, then now is the time and hope the graft takes before it dries out (wax/tar)...