Warm camo coat or jacket

All the years I have hunted I have never owned a real warm camo coat. 

I have always got by  with layering.

I'm  in the market for a cold weather camo coat or jacket that will break the wind and keep my ricketty old bones warm in sub zero weather. 

Any suggestions ? 

Are you bow or gun hunting?

There are so many choices out there and you can spend a ton of money.  I have found that a great base layer like Under Armour then layering up with a good wind breaker has been a better bet for me.  Also I use a facemask.  I get at least en extra hour in the stand just because of that.

I've always found staying dry is most important (duh!) and have layered over the last 10 years.  I use the HydroProof Field & Stream Rain Jacket and Pants (the fabric is soft so it doesn't sound scratchy walking on drives or still hunt) and layer underneath.  I've never had a problem with this method.  A good friend of mine got expensive hunting outfits from Cabelas and wound up returning them as he said it was too much.  Just MHO.

Are you bow or gun hunting?

There are so many choices out there and you can spend a ton of money.  I have found that a great base layer like Under Armour then layering up with a good wind breaker has been a better bet for me.  Also I use a facemask.  I get at least en extra hour in the stand just because of that.

Ranger...I'm gun hunting..My bowhunting days are over.

Good stuff, guys, keep it coming...<<big SMILE >>..

If you are going to sit and not walk,  Damart Thermolactyl Grade 4 or 5 for a base layer followed by  Cabela's MTO 50 Whitetail Extreme Parka.  I spend an average of 8 to 11 hours in a tree stand and have never been the least bit cold in my upper body since using this combination.  The only problem is you cannot walk with it or you will sweat like a pig.  I do not wear it when walking to the stand or when I go and field dress the deer.

I've always found staying dry is most important (duh!) and have layered over the last 10 years.

That's another good point.  If you are getting sweaty walking into your watch, you need something to wick that away.  Cotton long johns and t-shirts won't do that and you will get clammy and cold.  That is why I love the Under Armour cold gear.  If I get seaty, it wicks away and I'm dry in a few minutes.

Just to let you know, & not sure what you want but Dicks has all their camo on an unadvertised sale now & some at 50% off.  At least at the Dicks in the Buffalo area.  I always did the layered thing but I think its time to get rid of the cotton stuff & update for me.  Too much sweat, damp & cold then.

• Like 1

1 st. it depends on your age,if you are an older dude as my self, I start getting cold fast.I have had many types of winter hunting clothes in the past and some very expensive.Light open weave base layer then a second layer of what you like over that and a good wool shirt.Predator bibs and coat with the wind break liner is light and warm.The warmest ( but on the heavy side ) is Sleeping Indian Design all wool bibs and coat again with the wind break liner.They have many options to choose from ( not cheap though). Another but not cheap is the hunting clothes from Wiggy's ( the sleeping bag manif.) His clothes are light but very warm.    

I bought a Milwaukee heated jacket and wore it Bow Hunting a couple times when it was cold . Awesome but the sizes are a bit small . I wear it in the sub freezing weather when I am snow blowing the driveway . Got the jacket on EBAY for about $160 . It's about $225 in the store . I have a couple of backup batteries and they are expensive .

Choices galore Layering is still the way to go but the addition of a good jacket can make borderline comfortable turn into toasty. Cabelas MT050 is great, Filson. etc etc..so many out there, just depends on your price range. I bought a Cabela's pullover fleece with  windstopper few yrs back and makes a world of difference as the layer just under my jacket...good luck

About 7-8 years ago I bought one of Cabela's Whitetail Extreme jackets.  It has their MTO50 material and is insulated, includes a great hood, and a ton of great pockets with great zippers.

I got tired of all the suck ass weather in PA and NY during gun season and wearing rain gear in the slushy snow etc.

It is camo of some sort so I just put my orange vest on when required.  I really like it.

And it is good luck.......................

IMG_3725.jpg

• Like 1

ecws polar weight base layer,  and windshear wool 1/4 zip sweater in tall..  not a short joke, with the talls the torso is longer so it helps cover the small of your back.   good bibs also help.    as far as jackets go,,,, about the best I have heard of is the sitka gear line.  they are not cheap but they are good I guess.  rogers sporting goods online carries them.

I am not sure if they still make them but there used to be a pocketed waist band belt that you could slide hot hands in the pockets to keep your kidney's and liver warm.

wear as little as possible on the walk in and layer up once there helps greatly also.  if you get sweated up on the walk in  your done before you begin.

All Great ideas.  Layering I have found works best in brutal weather.  Bibs and layered coats work great but a full suit is one of my favorite options when it gets brutally cold.  Big downside to this is going to the bathroom!  I have a insulated gore tech suit (Over 20 years old!) that comes out in the most brutal of weather days with attached hood and full face mask does the trick for me.  A good parker with hood keeps my neck and head heat in. 

Polypropylene base layer, t-shirt and a fleece sweatshirt, pants and or parker and full suit with hood.  Balaclava, neck warmer, glove liners and waterproof gloves.  

Some clothes can get bulky but if your gun hunting it is not that big of an issue. 

Fleece is the answer... anything fleece... what's great about it is how light it is... you won't feel all bundled up and confined. I wear under armor bottom layer, usually a turtle neck to keep the neck warm, then a fleece jacket AND pants. It's like wearing pajamas in the woods and I stay toasty warm.

I bought the scent blocker outfitter jacket on sale last year.  It is great for late season and has a removeable sherpa vest.  Very warm.  Not bulky and can be used for gun or bow.

I too picked up this suit this past season. It is very warm and seams to be better made than most of SB suits.. I'm thinking of selling it though and going all first lite gear (I get it at good price through prostaff) for early to mid bow season and a heater body suit for the real cold days.