Toying with the idea of picking up a used ATV. Almost solely for the use of retrieving game (deer), nothing to do with getting into a stand. Needs to be capable of some semi-steep incline and decent.

What are some good makes and models? What's a price I should expect for an older, no frills model?

I think that any brand will suit your needs, as long as the machine has been reasonably maintained and not beaten on. Look at the body plastic. If its real faded its a good bet that the thing was stored outside. Also, check undercarriage for damage. As far as size, I don't think you need a real big ATV for hauling game & gear but 4 wheel drive is nice to have. You should be able to find something, that is reliable, for around 3k.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I have a Suzuki 500 4x4, Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4, and a Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4. I really love the Sportsman because it is a automatic tranny and its great for plowing slow, no shifting. But my Suzuki will push alot more snow . My friend has a Arctic Cat 700 which is nice, but is so wide he has a hard time going through the woods on my trails.

• Like 2

I have a Polaris sportsman 700 efi. The thing is awesome. Tons of power but its also wide. Tight trails can be a pain. Last year I used my Kawasaki prairie 360 way more than the 700. Its way more maneuverable in tight spots and has enough power. But ground clearance is lower than the 700 & I got myself stuck in a couple spots that the 700 would rip right through.

the honda foreman seems solid, but not sure they will be anywhere near my range. Not sure I really care about auto-transmission as I just need a no frills body hauler. Nice to have, and need are 2 different things right.

I for sure agree that 400 is minimum. As far as not using it to plow and stuff, would I really need anything bigger than a 500 like the grizzly?

I think a 4 or 500 would be fine. A lot of 400 models (and even smaller) have a low gear range that gives you much more power at low speed. The next time I buy a new ATV I won't go any bigger than a 500. 

I had a Sportsman 335, and it was great for the things you are talking about. It didnt go super fast, but it was a full size frame, never got stuck in the swamps, and hauled just as well as my buddys Sportsman 400. Its an overlooked older model that is right up the alley you are talking about. You can find them well under 2k in perfect shape.

That being said, my next one will be a Honda Foreman, as I dont want the IRS or Automatic trans

• Like 1

Ok, the Honda Foremans have Electric Shift on the Handle Bars, which sounds great until you ride one, and you are trying to carry something on your lap. As the shifter is on the left handle bar, and throttle on the right, makes it hard to shift, work throttle and hold on to a item. I would really look for a 500.

Used

http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/sno/4351785548.html

http://rochester.craigslist.org/sno/4362316685.html

Brand New in Auburn for $5000

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/snd/4279653103.html

I had a Sportsman 335, and it was great for the things you are talking about. It didnt go super fast, but it was a full size frame, never got stuck in the swamps, and hauled just as well as my buddys Sportsman 400. Its an overlooked older model that is right up the alley you are talking about. You can find them well under 2k in perfect shape.

That being said, my next one will be a Honda Foreman, as I dont want the IRS or Automatic trans

Only difference and to me, and  a BIG one, between the 335 and 400 is the rear independent suspension.  But either a 400 or 500 with good tires, in a utility mode, 4x4l and rear independent suspension will do more that you will ever want. It would be underpowered for digging implements if you ever tried to use for plots but for hauling deer and you and chores any would be fine. I have the sportsman 500 and Dad has the Bombardier Traxter 500. (his is solid axle in the rear) both will pull a wagon load of wood up a good hill at camp with no issues and the wagon holds a face cord +.

Get a Honda.Last oct sold my 88 honda foretrax that i bought new in 87.(26 years)Almost cried when she left the yard but bought a brand new 2012 honda rancher 2 wheel drive and a brand new 2012 honda foreman 4 wheel drive.Bought them both last summer(leftover models) and they both are electronic shift.Sorry hbb but you can not beat that shifting by the hand.Supposed to have two hands on at all times.HONDA ROCKS !!!!!!

I would look for independent rear suspension and stay away from the newer Honda's, the Honda's are great machines but if something breaks you will be paying out the butt for parts and hopefully you can wrench on it yourself to save on shop time.

I was always a big Honda when I owned 3 wheelers.Until I got that Polaris Sportsman. Maybe getting older just being able to push the lever foward to go and not worry about shifting is great. I love it for plowing, no shifting down to netural like a stanrd shift, then push,pull, a button or lever to get into reverse.I tend to carry alot of things with me when I use my 4 wheeler, chainsaw,gas,oil, ax, tree stands, trail cams.I did not really think that O would like a belt driven 4 wheeler until I had one and really started to use it.

I have been happy with my 04 sportsman 400.

I think people try to upsize atvs for the 1 percent of the time they want the characteristics of a bigger atv, at the sacrifice of the 99 percent of use. Thats why I think a 400 is the all around perfect midsize machine. Itll drag deer and stands and yet still be maneuverable in trails and woods. I cant think of a time when a 700 is practical in my application. If had a need for something like that, id get a ranger or rhino etc.

• Like 1

I bought my sportsman 700 efi  in 07. I originally went in with the intent of buying a 500 efi. The way the rebates worked out, the 700 was only like $350 more  (or maybe even less)  than the 500 efi so I went for it. The 700 is a bear. all kinds of power and it pushes snow like a b!#ch but a little over kill for most hunting/trail riding.

Ok, the Honda Foremans have Electric Shift on the Handle Bars, which sounds great until you ride one, and you are trying to carry something on your lap. As the shifter is on the left handle bar, and throttle on the right, makes it hard to shift, work throttle and hold on to a item. I would really look for a 500.

Interesting point. I ride a motorcycle so I'd be used to the foot shift

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would look for independent rear suspension and stay away from the newer Honda's, the Honda's are great machines but if something breaks you will be paying out the butt for parts and hopefully you can wrench on it yourself to save on shop time.

Been a DIY mechanic for many years for almost anything, and newer is outta my range anyhow.

Sounds like 400 is the way to go as this won't be for plots or snow... And I could always upgrade later. I have a Yamaha bike but I think Honda seems to have a loyal following and a good machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Belo

I bought a 1990 Honda FourTrax 300 back in 1997 for $3000 with the trailer.  It still runs great and starts on the first try after sitting all winter long.  Honda makes a great ATV and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Honda after this one!!

Edited by letinmfly

For your needs according to your post, I think a 400-500cc machine would suit you fine. Plenty of power in that class to do anything. I'd suggest a 4x4 model of course, and auto. I buy plenty of used machines. In fact I've never bought new. There are a ton of good deals out there. Here are some of my buying suggestions:

1-look at the rims. If they are beat up, scraped, bent lips, stay away.

2-bring a friend, have him lift the bike slightly off the ground at each corner. You get down and grab ahold of the rim/tire and look for play in the wheel, or grab the axle and see if there's play. If there is, negotiate at least $200 less per corner that has play. Or walk away. The machine needs axles/CV's or bearings. Nothing horrible if you know how to fix them but if you don't, it gets pricey.

3-check the oil, no brainer. If it looks like anything other then oil, new or used, walk away. It might've been swamped.

4-also check the airbox. Most likely under the seat. It should be relatively oil, mud free. Some dirt/dust is ok and normal. On the flip side if you're looking at a machine a few years old and the airbox is suspiciously clean, ask questions as to why. Maybe he cleaned it to mask a problem.

5-Check the steering. Front end. Should be no play. A lot of play could indicate a serious front end accident.

6-lastly, check the frame as good as you can, look for cracked welds, frame repair etc.

Cleaning an atv to make it look spotless and in great shape is easy. All it takes is a good wash and some Pledge. Pledge makes a machine look brand new. Don't be fooled be a really clean, older bike. Take your time. You'll get a good one.

Edited by Steve936
  • Like 1