2014 Planned Out of State Hunts

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering how many folks are planning out of state hunts this year and where you are headed? Also just wondering how many of you guys have some top hunts that your are trying to plan for? Great time to think about it considering our seasons are still quite far off still.

I know my kids are getting a little older and I have been on a couple hunts out of state in the past but am looking to get back into to going on a trip or two every year. My last trip was to Wyoming for Mule Deer and Antelope w/ my father and we both had an awesome hunt.

This winter I have been trying to layout a plan for the next few years based on the animals, and just as important, the areas/states I would like to hunt in my life.

1.) Rocky Mountain Elk & Mule Deer Combo

2.) Mountain Lion

3.) Mountain Goat & Black Bear Combo

4.) Turkey (Osceola/Merriam/Rio)

5.) Bison: State

6.) Mule Deer & Pronghorn Combo (again)

7.) Alaskan Brown Bear & Caribou

8.) Caribou/Wolf/Bear/Moose

9.) Canadian Moose Hunt & or Alaskan Moose

10.)Rocky Bighorn Sheep

Next week I leave for Florida to try for my first Osceola Turkey - excited but not a huge fan of snakes so we will see how it goes. The hunts out west I would prefer to drive so always looking for other folks in the area that would be interested in splitting the costs to head out there.

Even though there is a considerable amount of reearch on guides and outfitters for out west, which is the same as it always has been, the complexity of deciding on state and unit to apply for w/ nearly everything being a draw, preference epoints, bonus points and the pure cost of some of the liscenses or what you need to purchase to even try to apply can be overwhelming - especially for non-resident. It makes you think of a state to retire in so you can claim residency and have a decent shot at some of these hunts. This week I am trying to make a decision on whether to use Epic outdoors to help with the unit and applications for some upcoming hunts.

Anyone have any insight or experiences on any of these hunts, application services or strategies good or bad?? It is good to understand other perspectives / options etc..

I have a lot of out-of-state friends who want to come here for deer, turkeys, geese, trout, salmon...

The laws and the costs keep most of them away.

Good luck on whatever you decide! Adventure is good!

I'll probably get to PA for some 400+yd woodchucks this summer. That's about the depth of my wallet.

Edited by philoshop

Woodsman...Those are some pretty ambitious hunts you listed...

You must have pretty deep pockets...<<grin>>...

I'm putting together a mule deer hunt in Colorado  , scheduled Nov 1-9...

The unit I'm applying for takes 11 or 12 preference points, unless one can afford an expensive landowner voucher ( which I can't)..

I have been fortunate to be able to do some very good hunts over the last 30 years. Some of the ones that were on my wish list are no longer practical, for financial reasons AND the fact that I'm no longer physically able to do some of the more strenous hunts ( like the sheep and goat hunts and the DIY moose hunts). However, I have managed to hunt in quite a few wild and wonderful places... Great memories... I've hunted from southern New Mexico to Alaska, and then across Canada from Northwest Territories to Newfoundland..Most of my hunts have been DIY, the most notable exceptions being the Canadian hunts which required ( by law) hiring a guide or outfitter .

Good luck in your endeavors...Do the TOUGH ones while you are still young and healthy enough to do them... Might as well do them while you can. They are not going to get any less expensive. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding specific hunts..I might be able to provide some useful info.

• Like 1

I've hunted all over the west diy. I fill out all my applications myself and save myself a lot of money. if I was starting out today I wouldn't do it. I would buy landowner tags or hunt places that you can just buy tags. I know of Jason and adam from when they used to be with the huntin fool. I think they are very good at their jobs. make sure you understand each states draw process and whether you have any chance of drawing the tag you want. some of the states and application services will give you false hopes. I spend about $1500 every year on nonrefundable licenses and fees. pygmy gave you some good advice on hunting when your young. I've also hunted Osceola turkeys diy. watch out for snakes and gaters. anyone interested in applying for Barbary/audad sheep in nm(diy)

dmandoes, on 09 Mar 2014 - 4:18 PM, said:

. anyone interested in applying for Barbary/audad sheep in nm(diy)

Thats high on my list, but West Texas. I know a reputable outfitter who manages several ranches.....guided and LO tag DIY.

Headed back to Namibia (Africa) for a couple weeks in May/June.......and I STILL haven't decided on what rifle to take.Uhhhh, this crappy weather hasn't had me shooting near enough.

Hoping to chase some Fallow that a friend from Texas has running around his lease this fall; just need to see what work is doing for me and dates.

If work is steady, may just do a Tahr hunt in New Zealand that I cancelled out of years ago when a partner took a fall in a climbing accident. Love to do that one DIY, but finding hunting partners who can actually have the funds and do the hunt is like herding cats.

I just got back from Texas on a hog and javelina bow hunt. Love Texas. In June heading out to Montana on my annual prairie dog shoot. Then in October off to New Mexico for a elk hunt. Last year did a combo archery elk, rifle mule deer in Wyoming. Very good chance of getting drawn for tags there.

I'm going to Wyoming first week of October for a rifle mule deer and antelope combo hunt. That's it for 2014. Been on several out of state hunts the last few years, so this is a pretty low key year for me.

Advice-wise. Check out Babine Outfitters for mt goat and black bear. The goat hunts are probably booked 3-4 years in advance though. Mt lion you have decide if your going dry ground or snow. Arizona for dry ground is your best bet, Alberta or BC for snow for a monster or Colorado for a respectable one. Brown bear and sheep, you are looking at big time $.

I've hunted Arizona, Wyoming, Alberta, Ontario, British Columbia, Minnesota, Texas, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and always buy my own tags and do the draws myself. Usually pretty easy online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

How did you do?

Can't just leave us hanging.

Lol. Got a nice boar javelina that's gonna be a lifesize mount. Passed on a few smaller(100 lb) hogs waiting for a big one. Everyone in our group shot javelina and hogs. South Texas, 85 degrees.

pistolp71, on 09 Mar 2014 - 5:11 PM, said:

Lol. Got a nice boar javelina that's gonna be a lifesize mount. Passed on a few smaller(100 lb) hogs waiting for a big one. Everyone in our group shot javelina and hogs. South Texas, 85 degrees.

Cool. B)

I've seen mixed reviews on eating Javelina.....any comment? Try it?

This is my first year in 6 years not going to Canada for spring bear, and its killin me! It has turned into a great week away without a care in the world (new Brunswick).

I have to save my pennies up for 2015 when we are going to Newfoundland for a fly iin moose hunt, long time in coming.

Dinsdale, I donated mine to the ranch hands that eat it and need it more than me. My buddy that eats anything, brought his home, and is going to try it. Everyone I spoke to said it is not good. They are NOT pork like some people think, no relation to a pig. They are actually in the rodent family. I did bring hog home with me and that was delicious.

Good luck guys, sounds like some interesting hunts planned.

Yes Pygmy, but hey you only live once and the hunts are not getting any cheaper. It sounds like you have had some adventures yourself. I am always up for advice - I will PM you.

BizROworld - Yes, I would prefer snow and did look into Alberta and BC but they have a hefty price tag. I am leaning towards Montana, Wyoming or Colorado which sem more reasonable and still have good size cats. Good luck on your hunt to Wyoming.

Snake Boots and gear for Florida are packed. I was on the fence on Rio/Merriam turkey hunt in Nebraska - 3 days hunting and about $2000 for 2 birds which includes liscense, driving out there, lodging and guide but couldn't find anyone interested to share the drive - so will probably wait until next year.

dinsdale;  whats it cost?  how much land? do they bait? high fence?

No fences, like most places they have feeders out for deer and all the other wildlife hits up leftovers in general,acres range from 15-25K depending....

Cost ranges depending on hunt....but generally 1695 semi to 2995 guided. He has one place with no roads for 1000 for a DIY....plus cost of license IIRC $48.

Man you guys are making me jealous! I have never hunted out of state...college gets in the way. My aunts and her husband live in MN so i may go out there and hunt in their land one day. I also want to go on DIY elk hunt and a public land hunt in Ohio. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

Ha!! I was the same way - in fact college was rough in the beginning because during the fall I was out in the woods more than in class and it didn't work out well. Finally I made my mind up and sacrificed the next couple years, got great grades, which landed a great job, and then went crazy again.

Think of it this way, a few years of sacrifice for the rest of your life to enjoy. Get the grades, get the job, work hard and then everything will follow. You are doing the right thing. I use to get the same advice from my elders - the good thing is you have many years to plan out and do it right - just let it be the fuel.

I hunt in Ohio once an awhile. It is nice to get away if you tag out here - NY is getting better every year though. There are some good bucks right here in this state. That is why it would be hard for me to ever pay for a whitetail hunt. If I were to go on one it would probably be to chase the Saskatchewan monsters some day.

Don't feel bad guys. I barely even hunted when I was in my college years. From like 16-24, I only hunted opening day in NY gun deer season, thats about it. I never wanted to give up partying to wake up early. Then as I got older, I got really into hunting and had more $ to spend and begin trying to hunt different places for different species. It's addicting for sure.

Woodsman - I responded to your PM.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld