Is hunting becoming a rich man's sport?

josephmrtn

6 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Clothes in cold weather might be the one caveat. Being warm/comfortable in the woods is huge and worth its weight in gold.

I have no Sitka gear or any other expensive hunting clothes. I have been out hunting in zero degree weather. Old wool, and lots of layers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grampy said:

I have no Sitka gear or any other expensive hunting clothes. I have been out hunting in zero degree weather. Old wool, and lots of layers.

Under Armour 4.0 works great. better than when i was a kid and simply wore cotton sweatpants under my hunting pants!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Sure is...

I used to belong to 2 Gun Clubs at once back before 2010. I had to drop out of both as the Dues just kept climbing ever higher. Almost year to year.

I hunt only public ground now. 

I have never used any type of Trail Camera ever. That is an added expense  that this Poor Man can't  afford. 

I look for the best bargains in New Shotguns.  

Not much into Hen Turkey Decoys- but,I bought myself a " Grind" Hen decoy for 70 bucks. The Avian-X went for 120 Bucks!! 

You probably have 40k just in turkey calls

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, phade said:

You got that right - read about Disney and their theme parks! They are openly saying they are raising prices to price out the lower middle class so they can drive the same or better revenue with fewer attendees. It's happening everywhere.

my wife is a Disney travel agent and this really pissed her off. a good part of what she does is to basically save you money booking and use or tell you hacks to save money there. her services are free because if used Disney pays her commission but if not it's still rolled into the price so they just pocket extra. 

I can’t pull the trigger on Sitka even with my 40% off ! My neighbor who I’m mentoring, after his third hunt today said. “ they sure market hard at hunters .”  My dads entire deer gear fit in his coat pocket , I look at all the crap I got and for what ? 

Everything is up , just paid $70 for lunch for two ,sandwiches and one beer each .

Hell it cost me $1000 to find out what our land is worth .

470AC14D-E10B-46DC-89EC-DDB0B0CF6167.jpeg

The newer stuff can be lighter and wind/rain proof. Wool is where it’s at though and firstlite figured how to put a camo print on it. Rocking it right now lol df0adaf1ffd6a60a22d2e0cfc7404f0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

i buy my bows second hand, left over, or demo from a shop they're off loading on the internet. gear is bought using coupons and credit card rewards (I never carry a balance). often I buy camo after the season when it's basically liquidated to make room for other stuff that's appropriate for the season that time of year. idk how much i've saved but it's often somewhere around 50% or more. i could easily buy more msrp expensive stuff then i do and at full price on top of that. blows my mind but then again there's a cheap and expensive version of everything this world produces. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Belo said:

The newer stuff can be lighter and wind/rain proof. Wool is where it’s at though and firstlite figured how to put a camo print on it. Rocking it right now lol df0adaf1ffd6a60a22d2e0cfc7404f0a.jpg

are you afraid of the dark like @Marion ? That light is blocking your vision!

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Every dude has his thing. Some it's cars, snowmobiles, hunting, fishing, sports etc. And everyone spends money towards it.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

What about food?

-TF

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Every dude has his thing. Some it's cars, snowmobiles, hunting, fishing, sports etc. And everyone spends money towards it.

This undertone of if you do it in a way that’s not like me or in a way that is more earned or privileged than me means you cannot hunt or you’re lesser than me…is just weird. Almost like hunting can’t be fun if you’re not suffering.

Can you buy your way to big deer? Yep. I firmly believe that. Not my circus, not my monkeys, though.

Y’all have fun with this thread. Imma take my Sitka wearing, cell cam using, leasing, azz to the woods. This 7-8 year old bow is looking a little rough though. Might need to go buy a new one to show the boys wazzzup! LOL GTFO with that crap. 

Shoot - forgot my plot, too! Don’t worry, no ozone was used.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, phade said:

This undertone of if you do it in a way that’s not like me or in a way that is more earned or privileged than me means you cannot hunt or you’re lesser than me…is just weird. Almost like hunting can’t be fun if you’re not suffering.

Can you buy your way to big deer? Yep. I firmly believe that. Not my circus, not my monkeys, though.

Y’all have fun with this thread. Imma take my Sitka wearing, cell cam using, leasing, azz to the woods. This 7-8 year old bow is looking a little rough though. Might need to go buy a new one to show the boys wazzzup! LOL GTFO with that crap. 

image.jpg

No makeup on your hand? at least wear a glove:

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/women/accessories-for-women/hats-gloves-for-women/gloves-for-women/python-and-leather-gloves-p-6795833SABV9560?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl7PXwKLy-gIVGfrICh3-7gTiEAQYAiABEgKvAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpg.2da4c64eb772714905dce2aa540b5246.jpg

Generally applies to everything in life. I get it with my car sometimes as from family about my house. No I never said and don’t think I’m better than you, but here you are bringing shit up to me like you wanna talk about it. Like leave me be and I’ll continue to leave you be.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

Generally applies to everything in life. I get it with my car sometimes as from family about my house. No I never said and don’t think I’m better than you, but here you are bringing shit up.

Don’t you have a Camaro or corvette?

Y’all just cannot have fun in here sometimes! 

58 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

There is always someone higher in the food chain money wise too.

What I don’t get is the bemoaning about how someone spends their money on a hobby with that under  current of ‘i can do it cheaper or with less’

Have had a bunch of hobbies, spent the most on hunting and some fishing.

I’d dearly love a Ferrari, but having fun with the porsche and GR86 and still afford to tinker with them. And its fine by me if someone can afford one or more ‘exotics’.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

There is always someone higher in the food chain money wise too.

What I don’t get is the bemoaning about how someone spends their money on a hobby with that under  current of ‘i can do it cheaper or with less’

Have had a bunch of hobbies, spent the most on hunting and some fishing.

I’d dearly love a Ferrari, but having fun with the porsche and GR86 and still afford to tinker with them. And its fine by me if someone can afford one or more ‘exotics’.

How you like that GR86? I waffled on one this year. 

5 hours ago, phade said:

Money can indeed buy success short of the ability to execute a shot. I don't think that is unique to hunting though.

While hunting can be done cheap - a la public land and basic supplies....land access is shrinking and more hunters are playing in smaller and smaller swimming pools. Prices are definitely increasing as a result in alot of spaces.

The one caveat to alot of gear is USA made is $$$. China made is $$$ now compared to before because of tariffs. The cost to bring over a container full of goods has gone up many, many multiples in the past 24-36 months. Factors of 10X plus in alot of instances.

I have 30,000 acres all within a 30 minute drive. It seems like excuses to me.

Just now, Kmartinson said:

Who is what? I'm replying to this thread...?

Who are the “lots of guys” on this site that do as you said? I don’t think anyone on here is like that. We all have varying degrees of money but I don’t think any of us are on the level you state.

• Like 1