Is hunting becoming a rich man's sport?

josephmrtn

11 minutes ago, phade said:

Who are the “lots of guys” on this site that do as you said? I don’t think anyone on here is like that. We all have varying degrees of money but I don’t think any of us are on the level you state.

Lol read up above. Someone is literally talking about their set up and how cool it is and showing there built in gloves.....

1 minute ago, Kmartinson said:

Lol read up above. Someone is literally talking about their set up and how cool it is and showing there built in gloves.....

Love the spunk. Good on you. Just because someone wears Sitka or has money to spend on gear doesn’t mean they can’t hunt themselves out of a paper bag. Making judgement like that on your part is pretty poor IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, phade said:

Love the spunk. Good on you. Just because someone wears Sitka or has money to spend on gear doesn’t mean they can’t hunt themselves out of a paper bag. Making judgement like that on your part is pretty poor IMO. 

Lol read the post and apply the statement. I like good gear also. I didn't say anything judging, I responded to the post. Do your thing man, I don't care. If your a good hunter you would also be good without luxury items. That's all I was saying, I also said pay to play was a good way to kill animals, I don't have any opinion on your gear. Lots of.guys have awesome stuff but couldn't kill a deer in a pen with a AR 15.

I still shoot the $ 80 Winchester 30-30 my uncle bought me (I gave him the money) in 1973 and I wear a pair of boots I " Received from work " and I did buy a set of overalls (camo)  for $ 40 on sale a few years ago and I hunt a little over 20 of my own (inherited ) acres . And after I sell it I'll be hunting a 360 Acre state land within 1 mile from me . So yeah I guess you could call me a Rich Guy (LOL)

In other words the entire assemble nowadays could be purchased for under $ 500 (including gun) and all would last 10-20 years .... no need to be rich !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

How you like that GR86? I waffled on one this year. 

2 thumbs up.

Good fun for money. 

It ain’t stupid fast, but it handles just like a rear wheel drive platform should. Easy cheap fun to zip around in and where I am there are just endless twisty back roads between NY and CT.

Put it on the track for a day, had a ball. Its very forgiving.

Walked into it. Was looking for a new toy and wanting to trade in a Transit van I no longer wanted and a customer bailed on the order. Got an email from dealer it was going to be delivered in 2 weeks at 3:30 in the afternoon, and by 5:30 had all the paperwork done the same day. Even knocked a few bucks off sticker! 

I was thinking a GTI but at near $40K,eh, and VW is just a mess for supply chain. Nissan Z was more then I wanted to spend.

Now what I want is a GR Corolla…..300hp for a 3 cyl and less curb weight then the GR86. Talk about ‘rice burner’….ZOOM!

This undertone of if you do it in a way that’s not like me or in a way that is more earned or privileged than me means you cannot hunt or you’re lesser than me…is just weird. Almost like hunting can’t be fun if you’re not suffering.
Can you buy your way to big deer? Yep. I firmly believe that. Not my circus, not my monkeys, though.
Y’all have fun with this thread. Imma take my Sitka wearing, cell cam using, leasing, azz to the woods. This 7-8 year old bow is looking a little rough though. Might need to go buy a new one to show the boys wazzzup! LOL GTFO with that crap. 

Shoot - forgot my plot, too! Don’t worry, no ozone was used.
image.thumb.jpg.2da4c64eb772714905dce2aa540b5246.jpg
Lol. Yup for sure. I actually enjoy the challenge of my little hunting spot and trying to get meat in the freezer and a 5 point or better buck. Thank goodness I can afford to do that and it isn't too expensive. But if I couldn't I would be on state land like the old days.

I've got buddies that are diehards into snowmobiles and motorcycles, but my thing is hunting and fishing and I am and have never been wealthy. Dudes spend money where they can on what they like. Hunting is no different. Each does as they can and as they enjoy.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phade said:

This undertone of if you do it in a way that’s not like me or in a way that is more earned or privileged than me means you cannot hunt or you’re lesser than me…is just weird. Almost like hunting can’t be fun if you’re not suffering.

Can you buy your way to big deer? Yep. I firmly believe that. Not my circus, not my monkeys, though.

Y’all have fun with this thread. Imma take my Sitka wearing, cell cam using, leasing, azz to the woods. This 7-8 year old bow is looking a little rough though. Might need to go buy a new one to show the boys wazzzup! LOL GTFO with that crap. 

Shoot - forgot my plot, too! Don’t worry, no ozone was used.

image.jpg

That’s a bit harsh dot you think Brad, just because we may have different ways we wish to hunt ? Myself I could never wear those sleeves, I like to see my Rolex’s and play with pocket change ,on stand .

7D5BED2A-A70E-4D1E-B61E-3F36A4837A41.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Nomad said:

That’s a bit harsh dot you think Brad, just because we may have different ways we wish to hunt ? Myself I could never wear those sleeves, I like to see my Rolex’s and play with pocket change ,on stand .

That's not change you're playing with in your pocket LoL

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Nomad said:

You win the watch/gold coin race.  lol

(at least I assume you do......)

52 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I have a (big) handful of silver dollars and a Citizen watch........I know, bush league.  :)

• Haha 1

Hunting should be a personal activity .  As long as your enjoying your time afield thats great.. i love my 30 year old camo. 30 year old stands  i maintain.. Yes i have land  but  i was buying it cheap bs going to bars and chasing women in my 20s..  cat believe what people are asking for and getting for land.. but as its been stated  people keep paying for it no questions asked so . ....

7D5BED2A-A70E-4D1E-B61E-3F36A4837A41.thumb.jpeg.002025b023982ddfd19a17fb87d995cf.jpeg
Nice gelt. Mind sharing? I love chocolate coins!

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I think we’re making the same point?

Have you been to the grocery store lately ?  That’s more like “a rich mans sport”.  I can’t afford not to hunt.  Hell, I’m still eating from a deer, that I killed last year with a 20 cent slug, using a “free” gun that my grandpa left me when he died.  

I killed that 9-point buck on my parents land, where they pay the taxes.  I was wearing a pair of camo bibs, that I paid  $ 20 for about 10 years ago, and a jacket that cost about the same at “an end of season sale at Walmart” about 5 years ago.   

The blind, that I was in, cost me $10 (for the two front legs- $5 each landscape timber’s at Home Depot), and the chair I was sitting in cost me $ 8 at a barn sale.  

When you include the cost of the hunting license, half a stick of EverCalm (I put it in the freezer at the end of the season and am using the other half this year) and add in the other (2) deer that I killed from the same stand & chair last season, the cost of the meat works out to well under $ 1.00 per pound.  

i don’t include anything for gas money, because I need to visit my parents regularly, to help them out with tasks, and I just “happen to” hunt a little between visits and back breaking manual labor.

I perform those same services and reap similar benefits at my in-laws place, which is up in the northern zone.  I am thankful that the season opening dates are staggered up here, and that the same license works in both spots.  

I’d say hunting is much more of a poor mans sport.  

It’s no different than buying a Lamborghini or a Chevy, both will work, one is more fun and comfortable. Don’t buy into the bs, buy what you want and a financially able. We’re lucky to live in a state where many land owners let people hunt for free.

• Like 3