Favorite turkey combo.

ants

Thought I would just throw it out there. What is your favorite turkey combo, as far and gun, load and choke. ( Im bored and itching for May 1st.) Mine is Winchester Double X 3 1/2" 2.1/4oz. of #5's out of my Mossberg 835's factory choke. I have tried after market chokes but they don't seem to be much better than the factory choke.

mossberg 835 turkey gun, backbored and jugged barrel .65 comp n choke with either 5 or 6 winchester xx 3.5 in topped with a reddot sight. ... good to 60 yards... cant shoot a bird closer than 20 though its like throwing a slug....

Can you use a ported choke tube in a barrel thats already ported?? I have been wondering about that. I don't thing it would be dangerous but is there such a thing as too much porting screwing up patterns?

Can you use a ported choke tube in a barrel thats already ported?? I have been wondering about that. I don't thing it would be dangerous but is there such a thing as too much porting screwing up patterns?

Good question. Both my choke and barrel are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the ported barrel is more to minimize upward movement of the muzzle, but the ported choke is more to prevent blown patterns.  I say blown patterns being the gas pushing straight out through the wad and shot cluster, which hurts keeping it all tight together.  that's what I think.

One of the farmers, who I hunt with, used a Marlin "goose gun" on deer for years until the zone changed to rifle 8 or 10 years ago. Same thing,36" barrel and bolt action. He fabricated a scope mount for it and put a Tasco 3-9 on it. He would make amazing shots with that thing and I have no idea how many deer he killed with it, but it was a lot. We jokingly called it "the doose gun" because he used it for deer.

Remington 11-87 SP 12 gauge 3", factory treebark camo, 21" barrel with Kick's .665" Gobbling thunder tube.

I use either Federal Heavyweight 2 oz. loads OR Win XX 2 oz. loads of buffered, copper plated #6 shot.

I have used several differnt sighting systems, but the present one is a Leupold 1x4x 20MM vari-X II scope.