Anyone shoot a CVA wolf?

Skillet

Anyone have this muzzleloader?

My old hawken has a worn out bolster. The nipple threads are very loose. Afraid of catching a nipple in the eye (which under normal circumstances sounds like an excellent idea).

The CVA looks nice, but it only goes for about $225.

I took a chance on it. Needed something for the late season. Don't have cash for a good scope, so open sights it is for this year.

Shooting it tonight. 

Going to try my 777 FFG, & 385gr Hornady great plains bullets. I bought some Hornady XTP 240gr sabots in case the gun doesn't like the heavy conicals.

1751010-1-base-conversionFormat-1200-conversionFormat.thumb.jpeg.e045cee1c89748a7b06ba5b0d1a0966d.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the Wolf. Never had an issue with it. Has taken the couple deer I’ve needed it to take. 
I shoot Powerbelts. 245 grain. 
Good gun for the price. I wasn’t about to drop a ton of money on a muzzleloader I only use a couple times a year. Got it at Bass pro as a Black Friday deal. Came with a case and a scope. Good luck with it!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can recommend some good scopes pretty darn cheap (less than $100) if that is in the ballpark. They're normally over $100 but I have access to some lower prices. Open sights is fine, but I am sure you'd add a scope if you could.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skillet said:

Shooting it tonight. 

Going to try my 777 FFG, & 385gr Hornady great plains bullets. I bought some Hornady XTP 240gr sabots in case the gun doesn't like the heavy conicals.

Skillet  dont go by just accuracy but obviously its very important . I've used the 385 grain Great Plains in my TC White Mountain Carbine and had terrible accuracy with them . Never used them hunting because I couldn't get them to group any better 8-12 inch groups at 75 yards. I threw them away . But that was using them in a sidelock muzzleloader and not an inline like the CVA Wolf . My favorite bullet for the TC White Mountain is the Maxi Hunter 350gr . Deadly and accurate . But the TC is not what were talking about here because your Wolf inline might shoot both those bullets accurately . But the performance is so much different between your two chosen bullets .

Check out this video . Start at the 12:20 mark . He does the Great Plains bullet 1st . Next he does the XTP , but he has to do it twice because he hit the jug in the wrong place . So he has to do it again . Look at the difference between the 385gr GP and the 240gr XTP bullets .

I've shot 5 deer with my TC Encore using the 240gr XTP . Pass thru on every one and the exit hole was always bigger than entry. Biggest deer was a 211 lb 10 point that had an exit hole the size of a half dollar coin .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Skillet  dont go by just accuracy but obviously its very important . I've used the 385 grain Great Plains in my TC White Mountain Carbine and had terrible accuracy with them . Never used them hunting because I couldn't get them to group any better 8-12 inch groups at 75 yards. I threw them away . But that was using them in a sidelock muzzleloader and not an inline like the CVA Wolf . My favorite bullet for the TC White Mountain is the Maxi Hunter 350gr . Deadly and accurate . But the TC is not what were talking about here because your Wolf inline might shoot both those bullets accurately . But the performance is so much different between your two chosen bullets .

Check out this video . Start at the 12:20 mark . He does the Great Plains bullet 1st . Next he does the XTP , but he has to do it twice because he hit the jug in the wrong place . So he has to do it again . Look at the difference between the 385gr GP and the 240gr XTP bullets .

I've shot 5 deer with my TC Encore using the 240gr XTP . Pass thru on every one and the exit hole was always bigger than entry. Biggest deer was a 211 lb 10 point that had an exit hole the size of a half dollar coin .

Thanks for posting the video.

That was a really poor performance from the great plains. 

In contrast, the mushroom from the XTP looked perfect. 

I'll try the XTP first. Will let you know how it goes.

Shot quite a few deer with the great plains lead conicals, hunted for years with rem 700 inline in 45. They do fine, and are very accurate for my gun. Frankly not a Hornady anything fan, and its just about the only thing i have on the shelf that i would continue to use other than some 20ga sst for the savage 220. I wouldnt shy away.

Waterjug testing is not a good way to assess pullet performance but it looks cool i guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have sighted in two CVA Wolfs. Both had outstanding accuracy for a inexpensive ML. The second one we used TC 250 grain Shock Waves with the Superglide Sabot. Used two 777 pellets and cci sporting clay primers. Switched this year to White Hot pellets. Same load that I use in my Knight Disc rifle. The wolf will just about give a 3 round group that are touching at 50 yards.

• Like 2

Been shooting one for a few years. A few bucks have been taken with it. I love the gun (short and light) the deer don't like it too much.

I've thought about upgrading over the years but just don't see the point.

Shoot 2 pellets and Barnes with great luck but it will eat anything you feed it.

Edited by Billdogge
  • Thanks 1

I shoot a Wolf.  Stainless steel, with synthetic black stock.  Great gun, killed my best buck with it.  Of all my long guns, it fits me the best as far as length of pull and overall comfort.  Shooting Hornady XTP with two White Hot pellets.  Topped with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9. 

• Like 2

XTP bullets are one of my favorites, if you have a firearm that puts them where you want they will live up to their end of the bargain. They have killed plenty of Deer for me out of handguns, rifles and my old TC Black Diamond, both the 357 and 44 cals have worked well for me.

Al

• Like 1

I went to camp and shot it this afternoon.

It didn't seem to like the 385gr much.

The XTP shot fantastic over 90gr of 777. Bulls from 30 out to 85 (as far as I can target shoot there), and they were touching each other at that range. Not bad for open sights.

I really like the rifle. Shoots well. Feels light and compact. Best part is that cleaning it was quick & simple compared to my Hawken.

Thanks for the input guys.

• Like 4

I've been using ba cva wolf for about 10 years now.  It's a tack driver to 100 yards and beyond.  I've easily taken 20+ deer with it.  My son took his first deer with mine last year and had to have his own as well.

Cva also has amazing customer service.

• Like 2

Don't be afraid to use loose powder in your inline.  When I got mine a couple years ago I continued to use my 348 gr. Powerbelts and Pyrodex.  I was getting a lousy pattern with my old combination, then I added 10 more grains of powder and it zeroed in.  You can't do that with pellets.

• Like 1