Crossbows in NY!!!

TheFieldArcher

Congrats NY!!! Sad that a number of vertical guys don't like this and give that disabled/elderly garbage... hey, but it is okay for fit/young people to hunt with shotguns and rifles... look outside the box, crossbows will add people to the hunting side... PERIOD! Also, I have been bow hunting for over 30 years and have taken plenty of newbies out with their vertical bows... I have also taken newbies out with crossbow for their first hunts... what I have found is that crossbows build confidence and success quicker! Successful hunters means more hunters hooked on... hunting! We all win! Congrats!!!

Edited by TheFieldArcher
  • Like 4

Crossbows will not get more hunters into the woods. It will get more gun hunters into Archery season but will not recruit new hunters. And I've yet to hear any of the guys that are against it say they are against the elderly and disabled using them. In fact I hear just the opposite. Your OP was pretty much a total fail!

• Like 2

yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!! another crossbow thread, just what we need.

Funny, I was like you... totally against them at first... then I tried it...

My son told me he wanted to get into bow hunting right before the season, first I got him shooting my recurve trying to build his bow muscles and also got him shooting my crossbow. With the season around the corner, we decided the crossbow was the best for his confidence at that time... in the video above, you can see the confidence and quick ethical kill shots... he took 3 shots at deer and not one deer ran over 80 yards! He never hunted before... but the cool thing about it is, his confidence and experience... he is now looking to move from the crossbow to the vertical this coming season! Think outside the box... I was against it at first and then saw the light!

• Like 2

Funny, I was like you... totally against them at first... then I tried it...

My son told me he wanted to get into bow hunting right before the season, first I got him shooting my recurve trying to build his bow muscles and also got him shooting my crossbow. With the season around the corner, we decided the crossbow was the best for his confidence at that time... in the video above, you can see the confidence and quick ethical kill shots... he took 3 shots at deer and not one deer ran over 80 yards! He never hunted before... but the cool thing about it is, his confidence and experience... he is now looking to move from the crossbow to the vertical this coming season! Think outside the box... I was against it at first and then saw the light!

my point is that there are already several threads going on about this, do we need another?..........I never gave an opinion on being for or against them.

• Like 2

Crossbows will not get more hunters into the woods. It will get more gun hunters into Archery season but will not recruit new hunters. And I've yet to hear any of the guys that are against it say they are against the elderly and disabled using them. In fact I hear just the opposite. Your OP was pretty much a total fail!

You are wrong... I did not say they are against elderly/disabled, I am saying that they are the only ones that they feel should be hunting with them.

Here are newbies now hooked... and they were not "gun hunters" like you say!

Young lady and her first awesome buck!

This is my cousin, he got frustrated with the bow, got him out with the crossbow and now he is hooked... he never got into gun hunting! Fail?

• Like 3

yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!! another crossbow thread, just what we need.

As long as they are in the crossbow section of the forum, whats the problem? Honestly, now that they are legal, I would expect to see alot more activity in the crossbow section of the board. Better get used to it.

• Like 6

I dont think it will get many "new" hunters in the field because they can use a crossbow over a regular bow or a gun.I do see people that for some reason cant use vertical bows getting back into archery season versus just rifle season.I feel its a good thing for NY,I know a few people that cant pull a bow back and it may be a way for them to enjoy the woods a little more

• Like 2

I dont think it will get many "new" hunters in the field because they can use a crossbow over a regular bow or a gun.I do see people that for some reason cant use vertical bows getting back into archery season versus just rifle season.I feel its a good thing for NY,I know a few people that cant pull a bow back and it may be a way for them to enjoy the woods a little more

Me too. I' have a friend that hasn't been out in a few years bowhunting because he cant pull it back anymore. Hopefully he can get out this year. As far as new hunters go, you wont notice an increase. I'll compare 2013 and 2014 total big game license sales after next fall if I can find them anywhere. The last year I see any figures for is 2012 which 738K were sold

There is a medium for hunters in the crossbow... some find vertical bow hunting difficult and some don't like gun hunting... the happy medium.

There is a medium for hunters in the crossbow... some find vertical bow hunting difficult and some don't like gun hunting... the happy medium.

they find it "difficult" or "frustrating" because they are doing something wrong or not devoting what's required to be succesful? I can understand if they have difficulty shooting the vertical bow, but not if they find the hunting itself difficult.

you really need to rethink that comment "in red" about hunter recruitment. 

yes, successful at both bringing youth into the game and getting elderly back in.

2 wins for the sport of hunting.

it's a no brainer.

• Like 1

As long as they are in the crossbow section of the forum, whats the problem? Honestly, now that they are legal, I would expect to see alot more activity in the crossbow section of the board. Better get used to it.

Maybe this will keep the Safe Act discussions in the gun forum now that the x-bow area is alive and kickin'! :haha:

Sweet vids FieldArcher!

Great job recruiting new hunters, and involving the youth you have connections with as well!

The guys that say it wont promote new hunters to the field are full of beans, and most likely don't get involved with introducing newbies to the outdoors lifestyle the way you do!

I always thought that once crossbows became legal here in NY that i would do the dance and rub it in the faces of all the good people I used to have heated arguments with over the subject.

But now that they have become legal I have absolutley no desire to do that.

I have really grown to appreciate the people on this site even though we do not agree on everthing and have realized that me and the other folks on this site have so much in common like being NY hunters for one, that all the other stuff really doesnt matter. We are all the same, we enjoy the same thing, we are out doing the same thing at the very same time every hunting season. Good luck to all of you no matter what you hunt with.

• Like 6

you really need to rethink that comment "in red" about hunter recruitment. 

yes, successful at both bringing youth into the game and getting elderly back in.

2 wins for the sport of hunting.

it's a no brainer.

We will see, wont we? I don't see it recruiting any more new hunters than it would have if there weren't a X Bow season. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Arrow Flinger

Maybe this will keep the Safe Act discussions in the gun forum now that the x-bow area is alive and kickin'! :haha:

Sweet vids FieldArcher!

Great job recruiting new hunters, and involving the youth you have connections with as well!

The guys that say it wont promote new hunters to the field are full of beans, and most likely don't get involved with introducing newbies to the outdoors lifestyle the way you do!

You should write my Auto Biography for me seeing as how you know so much about me. Tool! Always gotta take shots at people don't you? You must be a lonely miserable little man!

Edited by Arrow Flinger

We will see, wont we?

Are you planning on introducing new hunters to the x-bow season?

Doubt it......so your opinion is based on your own selfishness. Don't underestimate what others will do with this opportunity.

• Like 2

I introduce them to real Archery!

OK then....go play with all the "real archers" in the bowhunting forum since you've already admitted to "not having a dog in this fight"

I'm a bowhunter too, and you're embarrassing many here by association.

And this "tool" as you call me, has contributed more to hunting, the outdoors, and this site in general than you could ever hope to. :D

Now quit following me around and go check on your bro.

Edited by wooly

Sweet vids FieldArcher!

Thank you, exactly, the youngsters that could not draw heavy poundage or young girls wanting to get out with dad/mom and the family during bow season now can use a crossbow and hunt too.

I introduce them to real Archery!

That is okay because like said above, younger hunters will be more involved... as much as it will hurt you to accept it, I have seen more youth and women hunters taking their hunter ed tests in NJ with crossbows... try to think outside the box or just deny all you want and continue to whine...

OK then....go play with all the "real archers" in the bowhunting forum since you've already admitted to "not having a dog in this fight"

I'm a bowhunter too, and you're embarrassing many here by association.

And this "tool" as you call me, has contributed more to hunting, the outdoors, and this site in general than you could ever hope to. :D

Now quit following me around and go check on your bro.

LOL...little man. You're the one following me around taking shots at my posts whenever you can. I wouldn't exactly call that much of an accomplishment!

Thank you, exactly, the youngsters that could not draw heavy poundage or young girls wanting to get out with dad/mom and the family during bow season now can use a crossbow and hunt too.

That is okay because like said above, younger hunters will be more involved... as much as it will hurt you to accept it, I have seen more youth and women hunters taking their hunter ed tests in NJ with crossbows... try to think outside the box or just deny all you want and continue to whine...

Who's whining? I'm just trying to make a point that this will not produce a noticeable difference in new hunters to the sport....that's all. You guys are trying to make it out to be more than it is. And now, once again, if someone has a differing opinion all the idiots come out of the woodwork and start taking shots at him. We'll see who's right next fall!