Crossbows in NY!!!

TheFieldArcher

Scout ...you have a point and I own a xbow and have been bow hunting, lets just say a number of years...the only true problem is the DEC  "did the pup" or allowed it  when setting up regulations...it's a bow fine ...then put it in the archery class not a side note in gun Don't diddo around with this time or that...ml tag to use and what not. Mixed messages all around.

They stuck it in so people who took a regular gun course could use it and not jam up  archery classes with people wanting to use one and needing certification.  Plus if they added it to archery, all the archers will scream about it invading their time.  A little at a time.  All about money no special certification needed t purchase a muzzleloader privilege, so they will try it there and see how much money it generates

1. Crossbows were legal before, and they are legal in other states. I kinda think hes saying he hunts archery and gun.

2. I see you havent changed, gotta cling to the old rocket launcher and grenade routine or no regulations routine? Rule #5 in an argument, when you have no point, resort to off the wall extremes.

3. Hes not the one that needs to get over it. You are so obvious.

BTW, i asked before and you never answered, why do you even bother responding to the subject?

you asked before what?

You're the one who just answered a question I had for him... to which he never answered?

Its the crossbow section, they are legal now, get used to it. Honestly if you dont like crossbows, why do you even participate in the threads about them?

Please reread, the question is right there.

assuming this is it?

You know why i participate. I'm passionate about the subject. Guess what, the safe act is a law too. Does that mean those opposed are just supposed to suck it up and get over it too? And I don't want to hear that's an extreme analogy either. While they're regulations on 2 different levels, at the end of the day the principal is the same. You do not have to just roll over and be happy with something because the government now made it legal. The NYCC is proof of that. They lost for years and kept fighting.

What I recently had an issue with is this new guy coming into a thread dragging up an issue that was long dead and left alone by all us opposed to crossbows and calling us out for how we feel about it. Never been in one debate, has no idea why we feel why we do and where we stand on disabled hunters etc. There was no reason to do that. It's obvious i'm not the kind of guy who gets called out and doesn't say anything about it. Most "new guys" who stir up crap are usually considered trolls.

I was given hell when I joined for my comment on shooting button bucks. I think Tug Hill Hunter even made the statement that not to worry i would just go away, but never did I attack a group or individual. If you enter a community and instantly start crap you better be in for the long haul and leave the personal attacks out of it.

My .02 First I am NOT against crossbows. I have however RESIGNED, after 33 years, as a BHEP/NY Bow hunter instructor over the FACTS. Back before many of you bowhunted it was stated that archers were wounding too many deer, and had a bad perception from both hunters and non hunters alike. Sooooo along came the MANDITORY BHEP class. This class had to be taken by ALL bowunters, no matter how long you had bowhunted before. I took the course and learned from it. Shortly after that I became an instructor for region 9. Fast forward 30 some years. Another type of Bow is legal to hunt with in NY (other than the vertical bow). However if these bowhunters want to kill deer they only need to buy a Big game,MUZZLELOADER stamp, read and print out a "certificate" and these new "archers" are ready to shoot deer with a BROADHEAD tipped Arrow (BOLT)!!!! WHAT??? What happened to 10 hours of class time showing all NEW ARCHERS where to place shots, how to blood trail, treestand safety etc. etc. This is not a Crossbow vs.vertical bow argument this is a When did we disrespect the game to the point that we allow hunters with no formal ADEQUATE TRAINING to hunt DEER?? I am appalled at the legislatures of NY for enacting such stupidity. I know it is NOT the fault of the DEC as they had to enact what they were told to do.  Fire away.  

• Like 4

assuming this is it?

You know why i participate. I'm passionate about the subject. Guess what, the safe act is a law too. Does that mean those opposed are just supposed to suck it up and get over it too? And I don't want to hear that's an extreme analogy either. While they're regulations on 2 different levels, at the end of the day the principal is the same. You do not have to just roll over and be happy with something because the government now made it legal. The NYCC is proof of that. They lost for years and kept fighting.

What I recently had an issue with is this new guy coming into a thread dragging up an issue that was long dead and left alone by all us opposed to crossbows and calling us out for how we feel about it. Never been in one debate, has no idea why we feel why we do and where we stand on disabled hunters etc. There was no reason to do that. It's obvious i'm not the kind of guy who gets called out and doesn't say anything about it. Most "new guys" who stir up crap are usually considered trolls.

I was given hell when I joined for my comment on shooting button bucks. I think Tug Hill Hunter even made the statement that not to worry i would just go away, but never did I attack a group or individual. If you enter a community and instantly start crap you better be in for the long haul and leave the personal attacks out of it.

Im with ya. I just disagree that "new guys" shouldnt be able to throw their two cents in, or that anything he said would be considered dredging up a dead topic. The first permanently legal bolt has yet to bring down a deer. Id say it makes it a very relevant and current topic. For someone that has recently expressed concern over political threads driving people away, i wouldnt think you would want to be calling new members trolls or the like.

My point was more along the lines of, if you dislike them as much as you seem to, why participate in almost every single thread about them, call it a dead topic, etc. I get it though.

Btw, the safe act comparison isnt an extreme like rocket launchers and no regulations lol.

• Like 1

My .02 First I am NOT against crossbows. I have however RESIGNED, after 33 years, as a BHEP/NY Bow hunter instructor over the FACTS. Back before many of you bowhunted it was stated that archers were wounding too many deer, and had a bad perception from both hunters and non hunters alike. Sooooo along came the MANDITORY BHEP class. This class had to be taken by ALL bowunters, no matter how long you had bowhunted before. I took the course and learned from it. Shortly after that I became an instructor for region 9. Fast forward 30 some years. Another type of Bow is legal to hunt with in NY (other than the vertical bow). However if these bowhunters want to kill deer they only need to buy a Big game,MUZZLELOADER stamp, read and print out a "certificate" and these new "archers" are ready to shoot deer with a BROADHEAD tipped Arrow (BOLT)!!!! WHAT??? What happened to 10 hours of class time showing all NEW ARCHERS where to place shots, how to blood trail, treestand safety etc. etc. This is not a Crossbow vs.vertical bow argument this is a When did we disrespect the game to the point that we allow hunters with no formal ADEQUATE TRAINING to hunt DEER?? I am appalled at the legislatures of NY for enacting such stupidity. I know it is NOT the fault of the DEC as they had to enact what they were told to do. Fire away.

I agree that crossbow hunters should have to take the bow hunters ed class. You can thank NYBow for that, as they were the ones standing in the way of just calling crossbows another form of archery equipment in this state, as they are in other states.

• Like 2

I really think xbow users should be required to sit through the class. I just can't fathom the logic behind the current set-up. It's not even a "being fair" thing at this point, it's basic education to operate and hunt safely, ethically, etc.

• Like 6

I really think xbow users should be required to sit through the class. I just can't fathom the logic behind the current set-up. It's not even a "being fair" thing at this point, it's basic education to operate and hunt safely, ethically, etc.

I agree. I had to take a bowhunter ed course to use my xbow in CT archery season. I took the class in NY figuring I would need it anyway for this year. I found the class pretty informative especially the angles of shooting deer with an arrow/bolt

Just curious as to what everyone thats against them feel the threat is ? I dont hunt with or own one but I do hunt with friends that use them, and honestly I could care less. 

I'm not sure it's necessarily a threat, but as mentioned above by Stealthe3, anyone who plans to use a crossbow to hunt this fall should have to sit through a mandatory course.  Or only make the tags available to those that already have their archery certification.  I don't think a lot of the new crossbow hunters fully understand their limitations because a lot of them don't archery hunt.  They could end up wounding more deer than killing because they are making poor shot selections.  People need to be educated on their implements, that's why there are pistol courses, bow courses, and hunter/gun safety courses.  There should be a crossbow course now too.  

I'm not sure it's necessarily a threat, but as mentioned above by Stealthe3, anyone who plans to use a crossbow to hunt this fall should have to sit through a mandatory course. Or only make the tags available to those that already have their archery certification. I don't think a lot of the new crossbow hunters fully understand their limitations because a lot of them don't archery hunt. They could end up wounding more deer than killing because they are making poor shot selections. People need to be educated on their implements, that's why there are pistol courses, bow courses, and hunter/gun safety courses. There should be a crossbow course now too.

I agree. I see an issue of over confidence taking long shots

Just curious as to what everyone thats against them feel the threat is ? I dont hunt with or own one but I do hunt with friends that use them, and honestly I could care less. 

the list of reasons are long and been repeated over and over. It is what it is. Some arguments are selfish, others have merit. There's no point in really talking about it anymore.

At the end of the day I hope it brings more kids into the sport. I also hope these kids give the vertical bow a shot as they grow as hunters. I'd hate to see the vertical bow phased out.

• Like 3