NYS gun laws in action

So I have a relative that built an AR pistol it’s featureless btw ,  and its listed on their permit , but I got to wondering it’s legality. So today at a gun shop that only sells pistols , ARs, AR pistols ,combat shotguns etc and it’s staff is largely retired Leo’s , I asked about it  . They said it’s ok but mag needs to be pinned . 

Then I called the NYSP gun hotline thing and they said it’s illegal and a felony, they said the county messed up by putting it on the permit , and pinning the mag doesn’t matter as the law says capable to except a detached mag , and before pinning it was capable !  wtf i said I have half a dozen pistols that except detachable mags, they’re all featureless how is his any  different ? Pause …we’ll that’s an assault pistol . How ? It just is …

Next up the deputy nextdoor , a real gun guy too . He asked any features? Nope . Arm brace ? Yep. Pistol length barrel ? Yep. On his permit ? Yep. Then he’s fine ,this county considers that a pistol .

ha ha ha . Way to go NYS ! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I’m not a handgun guy, right up front, no expert…..

But I’d guess off the top of my head it exceeds the weight for a semi automatic. 50oz unloaded.

You cant own a 50 Desert Eagle and although it looks like any other semi auto, it weighs too much.

Be interested to hear others thoughts?

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

I’m not a handgun guy, right up front, no expert…..

But I’d guess off the top of my head it exceeds the weight for a semi automatic. 50oz unloaded.

You cant own a 50 Desert Eagle and although it looks like any other semi auto, it weighs too much.

Be interested to hear others thoughts?

Actually you can have a desert eagle.  I had one when the unsafe act ruined things. Modified the mag release locking the mag in and you could top load it into the magazine with the slide locked back. Sold it though.

Ever bother to take a read of the Safe Act?  It has to be one of the poorest written documents ever.  It is loaded with ambiguity and can be vague.   For instance, what's your definition of ammo feeding device?  Does a stripper clip qualify or is this only intended to apply to a magazine?  Where does a Garand clip fit in, and show be how to load only five.   Keep in mind that the Safe Act was largely a cut and paste of other States' laws that was edited into a document by people unfamiliar with firearms.  

• Like 5

Ever bother to take a read of the Safe Act?  It has to be one of the poorest written documents ever.  It is loaded with ambiguity and can be vague.   For instance, what's your definition of ammo feeding device?  Does a stripper clip qualify or is this only intended to apply to a magazine?  Where does a Garand clip fit in, and show be how to load only five.   Keep in mind that the Safe Act was largely a cut and paste of other States' laws that was edited into a document by people unfamiliar with firearms.  
Absolutely, if was made ambiguous for a reason. So they can twist it around for their purpose, especially when they need an ERPO.
See the video on you tube today about NYS from Copper Jacket.

Before July 1st average 45 ERPO"S per month

After July 1st, average over 400 ERPO'S per month.

They are trying everything they can to remove guns from everyone they can.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/10/24/hochul-touts-red-flag-gun-seizures-as-polls-show-crime-top-concern-for-new-yorkers-n63573

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

This was done on purpose so in a court of law the government can convict you easily because they can afford a better lawyer. 

One can absolutely load 5 Into a Garand if need be… but yes I agree the laws are insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Hey I got an idea…let’s ban all the scary black guns to stop gun violence. While we are at it, let’s ban all cars to stop drunk driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After they get rid of the guns they will get rid of all the people that vote the wrong way  thats the next step for them this  Governor Actually said  it out loud by mistake.  But you push someone on a Subway  Punch somebody out they let you out of jail the next day  Because in there crazy minds  those are the people that vote for them thats  The insane reasoning of these people they actually think they're doing something good.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 5:34 PM, Nomad said:

So I have a relative that built an AR pistol it’s featureless btw ,  and its listed on their permit , but I got to wondering it’s legality. So today at a gun shop that only sells pistols , ARs, AR pistols ,combat shotguns etc and it’s staff is largely retired Leo’s , I asked about it  . They said it’s ok but mag needs to be pinned . 

Then I called the NYSP gun hotline thing and they said it’s illegal and a felony, they said the county messed up by putting it on the permit , and pinning the mag doesn’t matter as the law says capable to except a detached mag , and before pinning it was capable !  wtf i said I have half a dozen pistols that except detachable mags, they’re all featureless how is his any  different ? Pause …we’ll that’s an assault pistol . How ? It just is …

Next up the deputy nextdoor , a real gun guy too . He asked any features? Nope . Arm brace ? Yep. Pistol length barrel ? Yep. On his permit ? Yep. Then he’s fine ,this county considers that a pistol .

ha ha ha . Way to go NYS ! 

........unless its Tuesday and its raining, cuz, NY!

Robby

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...