securing an ATV from theft

Hi all..wondering if anyone has any suggestions...heres the back story.

I have an atv we used to keep up at our property in a shed, it was attempted to be stolen. They actually hot wired the damn thing. But they didnt realize the battery was missing we actually brought it home for the winter. They also didnt notice it was chained to the floor. So luckily they didnt take it.

I havent left the quad up there since it was broken in to over 9yrs ago. We now have a locked gate at entrance to our private road which has seemed to deter most curious but ballsie idiots. The guy down the road from me has a huge shed with tons of utv and atvs and he hasnt had any issues. He is a new neighbor by about 5yrs. Its very rural Delaware county mountain.

We dont have a trailer though or id bring it up every trip... so I was thinking of getting it up their this spring till end of deer season and bring it home for the winter.

My question is...are there any mechanisms that would secure an atv....my husband said "see how hard it is to take a wheel off and bring it home" hes not cery mechanical so i wasn't sure to completely discount that idea or maybe hes on to something...? It just doesn't seem like an easy task lol....

the shed floor is just wood..its not a concrete floor. So if they really wanted to I guess someone could tear apart the floor to get it loose from the chain and lock.

Im also gonna look into new hinges with coach bolts perhaps..something that cant be unscrewed from outside. We only go to our property for a few days since its no running water or electric. And its 250 miles from home...we live on long island.

Thanks!

I have often thought of this situation. I leave my quad in the shed but my neighbor is near and keeps an eye on things. The quad is fully insured if trashed while riding or stolen. It cost less than $150.00 buck per year. I don't worry about it because of this. I think if they really want it they will find a way to take it. Good luck.

I would take the time and effort to trailer the thing back and forth. When local scum-bags realize that properties are left unattended for long periods of time, they take advantage of raiding such places at their leisure. They have the time to work around any inconveniences if the take is worth the effort. These thefts are not committed as simply a casual, spur-of-the-moment, target of opportunity. They are usually planned out such that they can come in with the appropriate tools. When it comes to something expensive, it would be worth the effort to consider it as one of the supplies that have to be taken along and returned home when the trip is over.

Another thing to remember is that these guys can get pretty vindictive when anti-theft measures are employed, and can leave your ATV behind in a trashed condition. That intentional vandalism can extend to other items on your property.

They make locks that go through the brake rotor that cant be cut off like a standard master lock type lock.

This is your best bet if you are looking to prevent someone from removeing the lock, but it doesn't stop someone from lifting it up and moving it.  Used on motorcycles.  I have one I have never used for my harley.

With the advent of right angle rechargeable grinders there is no lock that cant be cut. They can be taken anywhere and if no one is hearing it in action then your lock/cable is cut in seconds. The 20k rpm cut off wheel will cut thru any type of steel even titanium.

A good quality cable lock is still a good idea because it will slow them down and makes noise but an alarm system with a loud siren or bell and police notification is your best bet if you don't mind spending the money.

Ahhh plain and simple there's not much you can really do and the old saying holds true "if they want it bad enough" you know...

Agree with everyone above.  The only way to prevent theft is not to leave anything of value unattended.  I leave my hunting shack empty with absolutely nothing of value inside; and it's still been broken into a couple of time over the past few years.

Invest in a trailer.

Thanks everyone. I will look into a lock that goes thru the brake rotor. I agree a trailer is needed and probably get this year. It is an eventual purchase now that my oldest is 8yrs it is something fun I can take him for a ride etc..wasn't on my list when they were babies haha weve just left it home. I appreciate everyone's insight. The first time they tried to hot wire it I kinda pieced together that they came on quads because otherwise they would have attempted to cut the chain and throw it in a truck..I agree nothing will stop them they know whos around and who is not at these seasonal homes unfortunately.

The guy down the road from me has a huge shed with tons of utv and atvs and he hasnt had any issues. He is a new neighbor by about 5yrs. Its very rural Delaware county mountain.

Your neighbor hasn't had any issues because he is the guy trying to steal your ATV when your not around.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Invest in a trailer and bring it back and forth every trip. By the time you pay for locks, chains cameras, insurance and the cost to repair attempted theft damage, you could  have bought a nice new trailer. Around me they go for around six to seven hundred bucks.