Question for Ladder Stand Owners

RangerClay

I am shopping for a new ladder stand for the first time in about 10 years.  I am noticing that almost every stand company is using this cheap plastic mesh for the seats and back now (like the one pictured).  My last purchase had a metal grate seat with a foam pad.  My question is this.  How are these seats holding up long term for those who own one?  I know how the sun rots away plastic, I have to change out my plastic ratchet straps every few years.  Plus my old pop up blind material is faded and brittle.  I would hate to invest in a new stand and have the seat become brittle and fail in 5 or so years.  

Stand.jpg

They are a lot more comfortable than the metal with the foam pad. I have one made by field and stream that I'd guess is getting close to being out for 10 years. They make universal replacement seats but I've never bought one so I don't know the quality or comfort. 

Another Ladder Stand Question ( if you don't mind ?)  I bought my Ladder Stand about 8-10 years ago and it is 15 ft. ( 3 - 5 ft. sections ) and I would rather it be 20 ft. ....  I think being more " out of sight " would be beneficial , thoughts ?
I added a 5 ft extension to one of my ladder stands. I like that it's higher but if I'm bowhunting, deer need to be atleast 15-20 yards away or it looks like I'm shooting off a cliff. Too steep for me or my skill/comfort level.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Another Ladder Stand Question ( if you don't mind ?)  I bought my Ladder Stand about 8-10 years ago and it is 15 ft. ( 3 - 5 ft. sections ) and I would rather it be 20 ft. ....  I think being more " out of sight " would be beneficial , thoughts ?

Do what I do, get a 15ft two person ladder stand and place it on a mountain side, in most cases I'm 60+ ft. above the deer (not joking) .but that stand I use for rifle hunting..

1 hour ago, RangerClay said:

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I went over to Runnings and bought a Big Game Hunter 1.5 HD.  I do not recommend. Like most of the reviews said, it is a SOB to put together.

sorry to hear it joe. hopefully you get it together and setup so you don't have to worry. just lay off the wine putting it together or if it gets that bad, drink more! lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I do just the opposite, because the older I get the less I like “heights”.   I lowered both of my “store-bought” ladder stands to 10 ft.  I used the bottom 5 ft sections from those, on other “home-made” platforms, that are only 4 ft high.  

I killed my first deer, of this season, from one of those 4 ft high platforms.  That was a 15 yard shot on a 3.5-4.5 yr old doe.  I need to pay more attention to cover, and wind direction down low, but that is well worth the cost.   Last year, I killed an even older doe (based on how tough her fillets were), with a 20 yard shot, from right down on the ground.  

I lost a neighbor to a tree stand fall last season, and I think it was 15 footer, that he fell from.   He fell when he was attempting to move his stand.  They found some of his tools up on the platform.  He split his skull in the fall,  and managed to get to his atv.  He was found, barely alive next to that, where he had got stuck.  He never woke up in the hospital.  

I see no reason to go up that high, especially if you are mainly trying to kill bucks.  They are significantly easier to outwit than mature does, especially over the next (3) weeks.  

Love ‘em ,all I use now ladders with big mesh seats . I bought replacement seats just to have ,but never needed them yet, I also use a cushion . This one had two nice bucks shot out of a couple  years back .

1EADCB96-4905-459B-9AB8-F474D234C199.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

sorry to hear it joe. hopefully you get it together and setup so you don't have to worry. just lay off the wine putting it together or if it gets that bad, drink more! lol

I tell ya buddy I never in my 41 years of deer hunting have I seen anything like this.  The bolts in the package were different sizes than in the directions.  I was banging parts together with a hammer.  It was nuts.  If I hadn't had my background in teaching Technology Edu. I would have struggled bad.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I too have one made by field and stream that is approaching 10y/o and is holding up fine. Very comfy. Would highly recommend over the metal and cushion set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have 2 of the Field and stream and very comfy.

2 hours ago, RangerClay said:

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I went over to Runnings and bought a Big Game Hunter 1.5 HD.  I do not recommend. Like most of the reviews said, it is a SOB to put together.

I put three together last month.  Had to undo and reverse something on it for all three stands!  You would think I would have learned by the third stand.......

But you will like it, it's very comfy and has a huge deck to stand on!  Decent price too. 

• Like 2