Shooting Jakes

Uncle Nicky

part 2. If you have already shot a Tom, would you shoot a jake as your second bird? Or would you shoot 2 jakes?

Personally, I would shoot the first bird I saw because I haven't been turkey hunting long... but I would not shoot 2 or would I shoot a jake if my first bird was a tom. Just me, and I hold nothing against those who hunt legally.

Edited by Belo

I will hold off the first week or so, but after that it all depends on how I feel at the moment. I have had my mind made up to shoot them only to let them walk at the last second, and I have ended up shooting them after  first deciding  to let them slide. No rhyme or reason. I guess Im just weird that way.

Saw these guys this morning.

What would this first one be considered....jake...tom...who cares?

I'm really no good at field judging turkey without seeing the tail feathers, so this one gets popped first or last bird for me.

CSC_0112_zps78fd4222.jpg

Here's one I know fits the longbeard profile, but all he would give me were long shots.

CSC_0199_filtered_zps2d33366d.jpg

• Like 1

I will hold off the first week or so, but after that it all depends on how I feel at the moment. I have had my mind made up to shoot them only to let them walk at the last second, and I have ended up shooting them after  first deciding  to let them slide. No rhyme or reason. I guess Im just weird that way.

I'm exactly the same during deer season. I have my mind made up on size of buck or if I'm going to shoot a doe... and sometimes I change my mind at the spur of the moment based on a variety of things. I passed doe, upon doe during mz. Each time I entered the woods I was hoping for a buck but told myself I needed some more meat and would take a big mature doe, only to let them pass. One snowy day I decided that the last big doe in a line of 7 was going to be downed and I did.

I'm exactly the same during deer season. I have my mind made up on size of buck or if I'm going to shoot a doe... and sometimes I change my mind at the spur of the moment based on a variety of things. I passed doe, upon doe during mz. Each time I entered the woods I was hoping for a buck but told myself I needed some more meat and would take a big mature doe, only to let them pass. One snowy day I decided that the last big doe in a line of 7 was going to be downed and I did.

Yup.. Im the same with deer. I passed on a buck this year (rifle season) that I planned to shoot, as soon as I saw him. It was just a few minutes into shooting time and I was hunting all day, so after watching him for a minute or two, I said "screw it" and I let him walk. I did the same thing  Thanksgiving morning, with a big doe. I ended up with tag soup this year, but….what ever. I don't know what it is but sometimes I change my mind at the last second.

Yup.. Im the same with deer. I passed on a buck this year (rifle season) that I planned to shoot, as soon as I saw him. It was just a few minutes into shooting time and I was hunting all day, so after watching him for a minute or two, I said "screw it" and I let him walk. I did the same thing  Thanksgiving morning, with a big doe. I ended up with tag soup this year, but….what ever. I don't know what it is but sometimes I change my mind at the last second.

We call them women where I come from. LOL.

• Like 1

never shot a jake so far.... don't see a reason to start.  pass them every year.  heck last year I had one come in that I thought was a boomer coming up over the knoll, but it turned out to be a jake.  he gobbled hard, strutted, and everything else.  stubby beard and shorter tail feathers were plain as day.  I had a good time coaxing him from a boss hen for a good 45 minutes.

I don't think any less of someone for shooting one and tend to leave them as an opportunity for those who hunt the family farm that don't get a bird often.  it's just one of those things that's worked out that way and that I've chosen to stay the course.

I do and will continue letting jakes walk. Fooling a jake doesn't take a whole bunch of skill. Won't shoot bearded hens either. Why eat a 12 -14 pound bird when theres a 20 pounder. Heard bearded hens make good at raising their young ones. IMO I'd rather shoot a nice strutter or nothing at all. It's all about the show and display.

I do and will continue letting jakes walk. Fooling a jake doesn't take a whole bunch of skill. Won't shoot bearded hens either. Why eat a 12 -14 pound bird when theres a 20 pounder. Heard bearded hens make good at raising their young ones. IMO I'd rather shoot a nice strutter or nothing at all. It's all about the show and display.

because a 12-14 pound bird is better than no bird at all?

• Like 1

I don't oppose people shooting them , I just don't my self, same with deer , I don't oppose people killing smaller bucks, I just don't any more since iv matured as a Hunter , I find it ironic tho the people who preech antler restrictions and say it is a must for all hunters , don't apply that to turkeys also, I know people who pass on 120" buck but shoot the first Jake they see ,

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I am not much of a turkey hunter, in fact in all these years I have only been out a couple of times. So if I seem to be a bit ignorant on the subject, it is only because I am.

So this whole question of shooting jakes is a total mystery to me. What exactly is behind the controversy in shooting jakes? Does it relate to just holding off for a bird with more meat? Or does it relate to challenge with the assumption that older birds are wiser birds? Or is there some biological reason that makes shooting older birds a better choice for flock health or something?

For some reason, I never really had an interest in turkey hunting, and I'm sure my questions are kind of dumb. But I have always wondered about this controversy and thought I would ask.