Understanding NY crossbow law

tughillmcd

I received the following information from the DEC Friday April 11th explaining the crossbow legislation. (see attachment)

The DEC is preparing the regulation changes and they should have them ready for public comment in early May. The public comment will not include any meetings or open forums, but will allow for your input on the regulations by letter, or email.

I am told the proposal will utilize all aspects of the crossbow language that was passed in the budget.The DEC is bound by the law and can not increase season lengths, lower the age for crossbow use, modify the crossbow restrictions of draw weight and size, open the entire bow season for seniors and handicapped hunters or any other provisions of the law. They do not make the laws, they implement them.

Please note: You will not use an archery license to hunt big game during the early archery seasons, but will need a muzzleloader license to hunt with a crossbow. Although this seems foolish since a crossbow does not shoot a projectile propelled by gunpowder, instead it shoots an arrow by the same means as other bows, it is what was negotiated into the budget and it does permit us to hunt during the archery season.

Hopefully this will help answer many of the questions people have. Once the regulations are set and the public comment period is open, we will be sure to let everyone know.

Best Regards,

Rick McDermott
New York Crossbow Coalition

Understanding NY crossbow law_April 11, 2014.pdf

• Like 2

So pretty much even the dec/govt believes the shoulder fired crossbow is more of a gun than a bow based on the license slot?

Interesting.

Well pretty smart money move if you ask me.  Why make the masses take a test to use them?  Most would not go through a class to hunt with a xbow but if its just pay 20 bucks and head to the woods...Their all in.  Very smart money maker on their part.

If im reading it right?

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Well pretty smart money move if you ask me. Why make the masses take a test to use them? Most would not go through a class to hunt with a xbow but if its just pay 20 bucks and head to the woods...Their all in. Very smart money maker on their part.

If im reading it right?

Think about it...they are losing license money by not requiring the archery tag.

Not really. A lot of people will buy the ml tag who do not use a ml to use the crossbow.  Plus in the classes now, there is a crossbow part in both archery and gun started this year.  If people want to use one either way they had to buy a privilege.  If they could not get into an archery class, they could not use it and not buy an archery privilege. They will sell more tags this way and make more money as anyone can buy a ml privilege right now.  

• Like 3

Not really. A lot of people will buy the ml tag who do not use a ml to use the crossbow. Plus in the classes now, there is a crossbow part in both archery and gun started this year. If people want to use one either way they had to buy a privilege. If they could not get into an archery class, they could not use it and not buy an archery privilege. They will sell more tags this way and make more money as anyone can buy a ml privilege right now.

I think the other way around. Many likely have the ml tag already since its the fastest growing license in the state. No need to buy anything else if you own a ml. So much for new entrants into archery...if its going to open doors to people who dont bowhunt, then those people dont have the archery tag and a good chunk probably have the mz tag already.

Again maybe its just me, but now you can hunt in archery season without an archery license. That is ridiculous. Goes to show even the govt and enforcers belive one thing and do another. It cant be an archery implement if you dont need an archery tag. But you need a gun tag.....says alot in my book. And im a fence sitter who owns an xbow.

That really makes me rethink my stance.

• Like 3

im not sure if this is going to come out right but i will give it my best.

1 im glad to hear that for future hunters the use of cross bows will be covered(taught) in a hunter safety course so this will help a new(younger) with the basics of what you can and cannot do(ranges,expectations ect ect ect)with a crossbow.

2 i tend to worry more about the hunter who has spent years hunting with a firearm but has never spent any time what so ever even learning the most basic rules of a bow.

3 while i applaud the state for trying to expand the what types of tools can be used for hunting i personally feel that more time should have been spent to work out some of the finer points (ok i just bought a crossbow..........now what do i do)

if anything that have have posted makes no sense i apologize i guess i have more questions then others. either way i am quite sure by late fall of 2014 the discussions will be very interesting to say the least.

Again maybe its just me, but now you can hunt in archery season without an archery license. That is ridiculous. Goes to show even the govt and enforcers belive one thing and do another. It cant be an archery implement if you dont need an archery tag. But you need a gun tag.....says alot in my book. And im a fence sitter who owns an xbow.

That really makes me rethink my stance.

That depends on where you are in the state.  In the Northern zone where it seems common sense prevails, the last week of archery is also muzzleloading also.  No one gets killed, people still get deer.  Things change.  

• Like 2

im not sure if this is going to come out right but i will give it my best.

1 im glad to hear that for future hunters the use of cross bows will be covered(taught) in a hunter safety course so this will help a new(younger) with the basics of what you can and cannot do(ranges,expectations ect ect ect)with a crossbow.

2 i tend to worry more about the hunter who has spent years hunting with a firearm but has never spent any time what so ever even learning the most basic rules of a bow.

3 while i applaud the state for trying to expand the what types of tools can be used for hunting i personally feel that more time should have been spent to work out some of the finer points (ok i just bought a crossbow..........now what do i do)

if anything that have have posted makes no sense i apologize i guess i have more questions then others. either way i am quite sure by late fall of 2014 the discussions will be very interesting to say the least.

Good points, #2 for sure.

That depends on where you are in the state.  In the Northern zone where it seems common sense prevails, the last week of archery is also muzzleloading also.  No one gets killed, people still get deer.  Things change.  

The only thing I would change now(in the Nzone) is pushing back our firearm season another week or 2 and lengthening the xbow season from 3 days before ml to 10 days before.

Btw ,Bubba did you sell me an anti safe act sign in Massena the other day?

So what it’s saying is during the early bow season the last 14 days you can’t kill a buck.

If so that will cut down on the guys using a crossbow  in the bow season I think most guys wanted a chance at a second buck.

So in ny you don't have to take a test for muzzleloader. In nj you can use the crossbow but need archery license, muzzleloader here you have to take a test for that like you would a bow license. Doesn't make sense since you can have someone with no bow experience use a crossbow now.

Why can't you take a buck (I'm missing something ?)

I didn't catch that either, but then I didn't spend a whole lot of time reading the entire document. It would help if you guys that are addressing a piece of the document were to cut and paste the specific passage that lead you to make the assumption.

The only thing I would change now(in the Nzone) is pushing back our firearm season another week or 2 and lengthening the xbow season from 3 days before ml to 10 days before.

Btw ,Bubba did you sell me an anti safe act sign in Massena the other day?

No it was not me. Probably Larry Kring.  I did not make it to Massena I had to work.  I have them in Heuvelton.  I will also have them at the rally in Gouverneur this Saturday as well as in Massena at the rally on 5/31.  I also supply Gray's gun shop and Hilltop in Morley.

So pretty much even the dec/govt believes the shoulder fired crossbow is more of a gun than a bow based on the license slot?

Interesting.

No, The DEC is not considering a crossbow more like a gun. This was set by the anti-crossbow people in albany who are misinformed and believe the hype that a crossbow is more like a gun. The DEC can not change the license necessary to use a crossbow, only enforce what was agreed to by the legislature.

The biggest problem is many people that have never bow hunted will not get the full training in archery hunting such as shot placement, effective range of your equipment, tracking an animal, etc, that we cover in archery classes because what will be covered in the hunter ed class will be maybe 10 - 15 minutes due to time constraints. They still have to cover all of the rest of the items already in the class. Those that pushed for this because they are not going to ever agree that a crossbow is archery equipment did a major disservice to the game that will be hunted as people not have the understanding of archery hunting the bow class gives them.

But the anti crossbow faction has never allowed facts to get in the way of their arguments.

Edited by tughillmcd
  • Like 2