Understanding NY crossbow law

tughillmcd

The muzz tag is either sex.. as for no training required it states you need to complete an online course and have proof of completing it on you.... now the problem I see with that is enforcement....

Same goes for enforcing the max 200 lb draw weight. Are the DEC officers going to carry a scale to test crossbows in the field?

Well pretty smart money move if you ask me.  Why make the masses take a test to use them?  Most would not go through a class to hunt with a xbow but if its just pay 20 bucks and head to the woods...Their all in.  Very smart money maker on their part.

If im reading it right?

The money had no bearing on the decision or discussion, it was simply a few people refusing to acknowledge a crossbow as archery equipment. The people that insisted on the muzz license didn't want anyone using crossbows at all so this was their way of holding onto their view that a crossbow is not a bow. If you are correct forcing the test would have been a better option to keep more people from using them, but it would have meant giving up on the "superior weapon" claim that has been thrown around for years.

• Like 1

Why can't you take a buck (I'm missing something ?)

Never mind... Cancel that post. I took a few peoples word for something, but when I read the actual regulations I don't follow their logic. My fault, I should have known better...

Edited by mike rossi

No, The DEC is not considering a crossbow more like a gun. This was set by the anti-crossbow people in albany who are misinformed and believe the hype that a crossbow is more like a gun. The DEC can not change the license necessary to use a crossbow, only enforce what was agreed to by the legislature.

The biggest problem is many people that have never bow hunted will not get the full training in archery hunting such as shot placement, effective range of your equipment, tracking an animal, etc, that we cover in archery classes because what will be covered in the hunter ed class will be maybe 10 - 15 minutes due to time constraints. They still have to cover all of the rest of the items already in the class. Those that pushed for this because they are not going to ever agree that a crossbow is archery equipment did a major disservice to the game that will be hunted as people not have the understanding of archery hunting the bow class gives them.

But the anti crossbow faction has never allowed facts to get in the way of their arguments.

What's worse, that or the pro xbow people accepting it and celebrating inclusion? Sort of like requesting sportsman thank Cuomo. Seems like a pattern developing.

Before you lob anything, I own a xbow. I've also taken my FIL to Ohio to hunt with his xbow to get him his first deer in 40 years. I'm not some outright anti. I just think the whole methodology of sucking up to people who have posioned our well when it comes to our rights is just the absolute wrong way to do something - even at the cost of expanded opportunities for one niche or segment. It left a bad taste in my mouth and makes me feel like the people involved in the process are the kind of people that anti xbow people believe make up the xbow crowd - willing to sell their soul for the sake of a want.

Does the DEC set the training course details or the legislature? I'm not personally aware of who makes that call.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

No, The DEC is not considering a crossbow more like a gun. This was set by the anti-crossbow people in albany who are misinformed and believe the hype that a crossbow is more like a gun. The DEC can not change the license necessary to use a crossbow, only enforce what was agreed to by the legislature.

The biggest problem is many people that have never bow hunted will not get the full training in archery hunting such as shot placement, effective range of your equipment, tracking an animal, etc, that we cover in archery classes because what will be covered in the hunter ed class will be maybe 10 - 15 minutes due to time constraints. They still have to cover all of the rest of the items already in the class. Those that pushed for this because they are not going to ever agree that a crossbow is archery equipment did a major disservice to the game that will be hunted as people not have the understanding of archery hunting the bow class gives them.

But the anti crossbow faction has never allowed facts to get in the way of their arguments.

Proof of pushing this? Last I knew they were pushing to not legalize it... Never to make it easier...

When does the push for full season use of crossbows begin, the 14 days is a start, but its not full inclusion. Im ready to sell off all that pesky vert bow equipment and go full crossbow. Problem is you wont get much for those compound vert bows we paid thousands for. Oh well might make good tomato stakes.

Just want to make sure I am understanding something correctly. If my daughter (15) will be hunting with a crossbow, she does not need to take the bowhunter education course, correct? She took her hunters safety course 3 years ago. She will just need to complete the online or other crossbow training course, when its available? Want to be 100% sure, I don't need to get her into a bowhunter education course.? (Tough to find one locally.)

Per the Understanding New York’s New Crossbow Legislation: Guidelines for Hunters:

Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have:

o 1) completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1,
2014; or
o 2) completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material
provided on the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification
in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance.

Well it appears that Cuomo pulled a fast one on the crossbows. Since you need a muzzleloader tag, you have to cough up more money to the state.

Four Season Whitetails, on 13 Apr 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:snapback.png

Well pretty smart money move if you ask me.  Why make the masses take a test to use them?  Most would not go through a class to hunt with a xbow but if its just pay 20 bucks and head to the woods...Their all in.  Very smart money maker on their part.

If im reading it right?(Quote)

This is what i thought back when i posted this post.  Someone else corrected me but i believe this is right.  No test...Just a piece of paper off the computer and 20 bucks for muzzy tag!!  Brilliant!!!  Andy works for the state again! lol

Why does one need to sit through a long course to earn their archery license but no course required to hunt deer in archery season with a xgun?   I can see it now......deer drives November 1st. 

• Like 1

Why does one need to sit through a long course to earn their archery license but no course required to hunt deer in archery season with a xgun?   I can see it now......deer drives November 1st. 

If the crossbow is considered archery , why isn't there an archery safety class ?

• Like 1

To hunt during archery season you need an archery tag which requires that you take the NYS bow safety class... so in order to hunt with a crossbow during an archery season you would need a bow tag and therefore need to have a bow hunters safety certificate. Unless they're giving out special crossbow tags during the archery season, which I don't believe is the case.

• Like 1

NYAntler read the attachment in the first post. It states

For licenses, the new law treats crossbows as a “muzzleloader.” Hunters must possess a muzzleloader hunting privilege to legally hunt big game with a crossbow during any muzzleloader season OR during open portions of the early bowhunting seasons. The muzzleloader privilege is not required when hunting with a crossbow during the early bear season or the regular firearms seasons (or for hunting small game and upland game birds).

nyantler, on 27 Apr 2014 - 8:10 PM, said:

To hunt during archery season you need an archery tag which requires that you take the NYS bow safety class... so in order to hunt with a crossbow during an archery season you would need a bow tag and therefore need to have a bow hunters safety certificate. Unless they're giving out special crossbow tags during the archery season, which I don't believe is the case.

I take it you haven't read the pdf file in the first post??

There is NO mention of having to take a bowhunter education course, it states:

Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have:

o 1) completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1, 2014; or

o 2) completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material provided on the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance.

Also states that you need a "muzzleloader" tag to hunt with a crossbow during the archery season, NOT a bow tag:

For licenses, the new law treats crossbows as a "muzzleloader." Hunters must possess a muzzleloader hunting privilege to legally hunt big game with a crossbow during any muzzleloader season OR during open portions of the early bowhunting seasons.

If you really felt this way about the disservice of the game being hunted than you sould have NEVER push so hard to bring the X-BOW into archery season AT ALL!!!! Not until they included it into the archey class anyway!!! You were just a blinded by you own ajenda as the anti X-BOW crowd.

The muzz tag is either sex.. as for no training required it states you need to complete an online course and have proof of completing it on you.... now the problem I see with that is enforcement....

Your first purchased extra privilege is either sex. the second is antlerless only and the tags are valid in either special season.  

For licenses, the new law treats crossbows as a “muzzleloader.” Hunters must possess a muzzleloader hunting privilege to legally hunt big game with a crossbow during any muzzleloader season OR during open portions of the early bowhunting seasons. The muzzleloader privilege is not required when hunting with a crossbow during the early bear season or the regular firearms seasons (or for hunting small game and upland game birds).

Which isn't a totally bad idea. A person going into that 14 day season would not get an extra tag over the one they purchase to ML hunt. If they tag there, then they won't be out in late ML season. The only way to get an extra Bowhunting tag is to sit through the course and hunt with a long or compound.

Which isn't a totally bad idea. A person going into that 14 day season would not get an extra tag over the one they purchase to ML hunt. If they tag there, then they won't be out in late ML season. The only way to get an extra Bowhunting tag is to sit through the course and hunt with a long or compound.

They wont care...They get to sit in the woods at the best time of the year. Bone Collection!

I stand corrected