Understanding NY crossbow law

tughillmcd

i hope some of the fence sitters are seeing why some of us felt the way we did. You may still be in favor of crossbows regardless of the safety class and that's fine. But it has to strike you as a little odd, and you should have a funny little feeling when you're wondering about what's next for hunting in ny.

Seeing as the laws and regs arent set yet, maybe people shouls wait to form an opinion on it. The reasons you have always given for being agains crossbows have never had anything to do with the way the laws were written. Dont try to rewrite history, like you try to rewrite Wikipedia articles....

• Like 3

Which isn't a totally bad idea. A person going into that 14 day season would not get an extra tag over the one they purchase to ML hunt. If they tag there, then they won't be out in late ML season. The only way to get an extra Bowhunting tag is to sit through the course and hunt with a long or compound.

But your regular season tags if not filled they can be used during ML season. If you tag out before ML season then yes you won't hunt, I could could never eat that many deer anyway! lol

But your regular season tags if not filled they can be used during ML season. If you tag out before ML season then yes you won't hunt, I could could never eat that many deer anyway! lol

Who are you kidding, you could never hit that many deer to even worry about it! 

haha

Seeing as the laws and regs arent set yet, maybe people shouls wait to form an opinion on it. The reasons you have always given for being agains crossbows have never had anything to do with the way the laws were written. Dont try to rewrite history, like you try to rewrite Wikipedia articles....

Lol. Wikipedia can be written and edited by anyone. It's why I did that, to prove using Wikipedia as a source in argument is silly. Sadly that's still lost on you.

My comment above is the same reason most are concerned with gun regulations. When do the requests end? When does the DEC so concerned with population allow guns into the early season? Are crossbows just he start? When do 10rd mag limits lead to 7rd limits and weapon bans? Do you not see it? Really?

Edited by Belo

Lol. Wikipedia can be written and edited by anyone. It's why I did that, to prove using Wikipedia as a source in argument is silly. Sadly that's still lost on you. My comment above is the same reason most are concerned with gun regulations. When do the requests end? When does the DEC so concerned with population allow guns into the early season? Are crossbows just he start? When do 10rd mag limits lead to 7rd limits and weapon bans? Do you not see it? Really?

I know why you did it, I like to bust your chops about it. Lighten up Francis.

There was no 10 round limit before the 7 round limit. :bye:

Anyhow, you can thank your fellow anti-crossbowers, which the legislators (who dont know better) bowed down to and created this convoluted nonsense of them being allowed into half of archery season and put into a similar class as a muzzle loader. If they would have gone with full inclusion, they would have been included into the archery safety course (which they still may end up doing, since the regs arent set yet) and people would get the proper training for hunting, tracking and recovering a deer that has been shot with an arrow (you know, archery equipment?).

While I do realize there are people out there that would like guns in the early archery season, I doubt it will happen. Where it ends should be, IMO, archery equipment (broadhead tipped arrow shot from string/limbs).

No there wasnt a 10 round limit. I had a bunch of 30 rounders for my AR that were perfectly legal. Nothing silly about it.

BTW, there is no 7 round limit.

I do think the archery course should be required. I already explained why the anti group is responsible. I dont expect you to see why, you are part of that group and refuse to see things for what they are with this subject. Like I said, if full inclusion would have happened, there would be no question what course would be required. You never know though, the DEC may end up requiring it anyhow.

Lol. Wikipedia can be written and edited by anyone. It's why I did that, to prove using Wikipedia as a source in argument is silly. Sadly that's still lost on you.My comment above is the same reason most are concerned with gun regulations. When do the requests end? When does the DEC so concerned with population allow guns into the early season? Are crossbows just he start? When do 10rd mag limits lead to 7rd limits and weapon bans? Do you not see it? Really?

I bet in high population areas, if the bow hunters can't control the numbers, don't be surprised to see a doe only early muzzleloader season. It was discussed previously.

• Like 1

This subject demonstrates exactly why, we sportsman/ gunowners don't stand a chance against the anti gun crowd...we cannot agree on anything..Even a compromise within our own sport...Many of us didn't want xbows in archery at all..State comes up with a plan that is middle of the road (albeit not well thought out in the details)and the pro xbow guys are p%%&& and moaning. I do not see too many of the anti guys complaining... The pro argument is as full of holes as the anti..

• Like 1

This subject demonstrates exactly why, we sportsman/ gunowners don't stand a chance against the anti gun crowd...we cannot agree on anything..Even a compromise within our own sport...Many of us didn't want xbows in archery at all..State comes up with a plan that is middle of the road (albeit not well thought out in the details)and the pro xbow guys are p%%&& and moaning. I do not see too many of the anti guys complaining... The pro argument is as full of holes as the anti..

Are you kidding me? The anti guys are whining all over the place. Its in this thread and every one thats been posted since the laws were passed. You are taking what Im saying as whining, which it isnt at all. Im merely saying full inclusion would have made sure the crossbow was included in the archery safety course, where it belongs, so that people get the proper training for archery hunting, which crossbow hunting is. How would the pro-crossbow side of the fence be faulted for full inclusion not happening? The antis only have themselves to blame.

• Like 1

I guess it's just our perspectives...I have no interest in going back through and counting who whined were and on what side. Like I said. It appears to be poorly implemented, but putting the x bow season in the last 1/2 of archery is a good compromise..imho

I am betting that the pro xbowers are still going to push for full inclusion though?

I am betting that the pro xbowers are still going to push for full inclusion though?

This one will - while I continue you hunt primarily with my recurve.

And I will continue to support its full classification as archery equipment - or making compound/crossbow equal.

I guess it's just our perspectives...I have no interest in going back through and counting who whined were and on what side. Like I said. It appears to be poorly implemented, but putting the x bow season in the last 1/2 of archery is a good compromise..imho

Good compromise, yes, and I agree the implementation so far, is looking sketchy. I really want to see them included in the archery safety course, full inclusion or not. I guess we are going to have to wait and see what the DEC finally lays out as far as regs go. I think youll end up seeing full inclusion sooner or later.

Allowing a weapon in archery season but not including it archery class is one of the worst ideas I've seen come out of the DEC in a while. I don't care about logistics, or what makes sense given the scenario. Somtimes an issue is black and white - it rarely is - but this time, it is. IF the weapon is to be used in archery season, it is an archery tool. Just because it is easier to do one way or the other for the classes doesn't mean it is the right way to go.

All this does is continue to fan the flames that an xbow isn't an archery piece of equipment - I mean if it was, it'd be in the archery class. It's quite hypocritical in my opinion. And, to be honest, I'm rather perplexed the Crossbow Coalition posts on here don't seemed to be bothered by the fact that it isn't in the archery class. If I were one of them, I'd be yelling at the top of my lungs to make it included instead of the regular course or any other method - and for lots of reasons. But, this is the same group that wanted us to thank AC. All the CC is, is the NYBH group, but on the other end of the spectrum. Special interest and damn everyone else as long as "we" are taken care of.

Someday, when I actually get free time in my life, I'll be able to be more proactive to counter these special interest idiocracies. Until then, I guess I just get to complain about it and do nothing.

• Like 1

I bet in high population areas, if the bow hunters can't control the numbers, don't be surprised to see a doe only early muzzleloader season. It was discussed previously.

Oh, its coming. Just a matter of when the DEC wants to push the button.

8H is going to be one of them. Too many deer, too much private with little public, and not alot of access = 1st in line for the early season.

Heres the reason I think that crossbows will probably be included in the standard safety course. Small game. They are not only going to be legal for deer and bear, but all small game as well. Maybe they should just say that you can only hunt big game with one if you take the archery course as well. I dunno.

Isnt there going to be a public comment period before the final regs are put in place?

Heres the reason I think that crossbows will probably be included in the standard safety course. Small game. They are not only going to be legal for deer and bear, but all small game as well. Maybe they should just say that you can only hunt big game with one if you take the archery course as well. I dunno.

Isnt there going to be a public comment period before the final regs are put in place?

Isn't a regular bow legal for small game? I think it is.

PA has been doing it that way for a few years for inline statewide. Splits archery season in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

As long as xbows are covered in one of the already existing safety courses or their own safety course I'm good.

I'll be honest, I gained a lot of important info from the safety courses I took at ages 11 and 30, but most of what I learned about hunting with any implement came from field experience, like most things in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Are you kidding me? The anti guys are whining all over the place. Its in this thread and every one thats been posted since the laws were passed. You are taking what Im saying as whining, which it isnt at all. Im merely saying full inclusion would have made sure the crossbow was included in the archery safety course, where it belongs, so that people get the proper training for archery hunting, which crossbow hunting is. How would the pro-crossbow side of the fence be faulted for full inclusion not happening? The antis only have themselves to blame.

our only whining came from the fact that there isn't a lot of good information out there and seems to be quite a bit of confusion. That, and that the archery course isn't required...and lets not forgert we're being asked to thank governor cuomo. Other than that, what you call whining, is simply discussion for some.

As long as xbows are covered in one of the already existing safety courses or their own safety course I'm good. I'll be honest, I gained a lot of important info from the safety courses I took at ages 11 and 30, but most of what I learned about hunting with any implement came from field experience, like most things in life. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should be one or the other. One course for hunting with any weapon (bow and crossbow) or seperate courses like it is today that include bow and xbow. A bunch of states have only one course. I wouldn't see an issue with this. Just beef it up a little.