Understanding NY crossbow law

tughillmcd

our only whining came from the fact that there isn't a lot of good information out there and seems to be quite a bit of confusion. That, and that the archery course isn't required...and lets not forgert we're being asked to thank governor cuomo. Other than that, what you call whining, is simply discussion for some.

The regs arent set yet. Patience....

I bet in high population areas, if the bow hunters can't control the numbers, don't be surprised to see a doe only early muzzleloader season. It was discussed previously.

Why would anyone really be surprised? I'm expecting it. The groundwork is in place.

People who are new to the concept of 'kill by cutting' need to understand the basic difference between that and a bullet.

I would hope that if the state doesn't mandate education and knowledge of the difference, newbies at least take the time to learn about it on their own so that they know what to expect when they shoot at and hit a deer with a broadhead.

• Like 1

if it's considered a bow the same as a compound or recurve, and everyone who is pro crossbow say's they are, then the bowhunter safety course should be mandatory for anyone wanting to use one........everyone who has any bit of bowhunting experience knows that it's not the same as shooting a deer with a gun and a certain amount of education is needed......and every one who is a concerned hunter should demand it, no matter what side of the argument you were on.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

if it's considered a bow the same as a compound or recurve, and everyone who is pro crossbow say's they are, then the bowhunter safety course should be mandatory for anyone wanting to use one........everyone who has any bit of bowhunting experience knows that it's not the same as shooting a deer with a gun and a certain amount of education is needed......and every one who is a concerned hunter should demand it, no matter what side of the argument you were on.

I agree.

But if anyone has taken the bowhunter course, an online addition for crossbow certification wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

am I reading this correctly, that anyone who wants to use a crossbow needs to take a course dated on or after April 1, 2014?

• Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have:
    1. completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1, 2014;
    2. completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material provided on the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance.                                                                                                                                                               

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

am I reading this correctly, that anyone who wants to use a crossbow needs to take a course dated on or after April 1, 2014?

• Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have:
    1. completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1, 2014;
    2. completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material provided on the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance.                                                                                                                                                               

Looks that way but smart money is on the on-line piece of paper im sure even a monkey could pass. Probably not even a test. If you can find and get on the website. You get your paper!

they have really botched the hunter safety part of this. My other thoughts on crossbows aside, this really bothers me. If you're going to implement them, do it right. Just require the archery course and be done with it. It wouldn't be confusing and it makes sense.

• Like 3

they have really botched the hunter safety part of this. My other thoughts on crossbows aside, this really bothers me. If you're going to implement them, do it right. Just require the archery course and be done with it. It wouldn't be confusing and it makes sense.

I wouldn't expect any less than a botched effort out of Bureaucrats and politicians. 

• Like 1

if another course is required, I'll stick with my compound until I can't walk into the woods anymore.....and I would venture to guess that I'm not alone, my 33 years of bow and gun hunting have taught me more than some guy talking to me for 6 hours because NYS decided he's an expert............no thanks.

• Like 2

Cabin Fever, on 27 Apr 2014 - 3:58 PM, said:

Just want to make sure I am understanding something correctly. If my daughter (15) will be hunting with a crossbow, she does not need to take the bowhunter education course, correct? She took her hunters safety course 3 years ago. She will just need to complete the online or other crossbow training course, when its available? Want to be 100% sure, I don't need to get her into a bowhunter education course.? (Tough to find one locally.)

Per the Understanding New York’s New Crossbow Legislation: Guidelines for Hunters:

Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have:

o 1) completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1,
2014; or
o 2) completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material
provided on the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification
in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance.

I sent an email to the DEC, just to be 100% certain my daughter did not need to take the bowhunter education course. Thought I'd pass along the info that I received:

Hi there,

Sorry for the late response, but no, if your daughter's already taken a regular hunter safety course she won't have to take a bow hunter course. We're going to have a short read and sign self-certification in the 2014-2015 hunting and trapping regulation guide, so that's all the additional certification she'll need.

We have been getting a lot of interest from folks in being able to hunt with crossbows for the whole archery season -- unfortunately the decision for what time frames we're allowed to create crossbow seasons isn't made by the DEC, it came down to us from the Governor's Office, so I'd encourage you to voice your opinions there.

Thanks for your email,

Vicky

I read in the very unbiased paper known as the outdoor news that crossbows are excluded from Monroe county as well. Anyone else see this or confirm it?

I think that any area that was previously archery only will not allow crossbows......I don't know if Monroe County falls into this category.

got it. I guess I don't get it. Archery is archery right?

I would think so. but I remember seeing in the DEC comments that 8C (which is archery only) will not be opened to crossbows. Their is an area around Albany too I think. Maybe they are trying to increment some of the changes. Might be a bit much in some of those areas with addition of crossbow and then the relaxing of setback distances from 500' (with standard archery being 150 and crossbows at 250)

As odd as this might be to hear from me, I believe if you're going to legalize them and consider them archery equipment and a big driver being herd management (particularly in urban areas) then they should be allowed everywhere.

Agreed.