Neighbor Called The Police On me!

Zhe Wiz

So my nephew, my niece's boyfriend and I decided to do a little target practicing this past weekend, since the weather was so nice.  Because I had roofers here doing some work on Saturday, we had to delay until Sunday.  Weather was absolutely beautiful.

I pulled out my 357 Magnum (Security Six) revolver and my smokeless Savage muzzleloader that needed to be "unloaded."  My nephew had his 357 sig Glock, 243 AI and his Encore in 7mm-08.  My nieces boyfriend had his .45 Glock and a little 38 special revolver, along with a 30-06 rifle.  All of us legal with pistol permits and all that.  I'm 1/4 mile off the road, all the bordering neighbors and those across the street know I shoot, and I've told most of them to let me know if my shooting bothers them, or if they don't want me shooting on a specific date or whatever and I'd always accommodate.  All have said "we don't care, shoot when you want."  Not that I need legal permission from anyone, I'm well over 500 feet from the nearest neighbor, probably closer to 1500 feet from where I shoot.  AND I shoot behind the house, so all the shooting is blocked form the neighbors by either my house or plenty of trees.  There are LOTS more neighbors that are within a mile of me.  I certainly have not and will not contact them all, but definitely have spoken with the immediate neighbors.

No I don't shoot a lot.  I'd say I probably shoot frequently because of coyotes during coyote season - once or twice a week, often at night - but I don't often shoot many rounds when I do shoot.  Sighting in a gun on occasion, maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

So anyway, Sunday around 4:00 we started shooting.  Around 6:00 we were done and cleaning up.  I heard the driveway monitor trigger and looked to see who was coming...it was a NYS trooper.  I went out to the front of the house to meet him.  It was the most pleasant interaction I've ever had with NY's finest. :-)

First he asked "target shooting?".  I said, "yeah, we were" as I pointed to the targets still set up "did someone complain?" He said "yea, someone called, I talked to HER and she said she didn't think you should be shooting on a Sunday night" as he looked at his watch, looked back up at me and said "not that it's night" with a big grin on his face.  I said "I know I'm more than 500 feet from everyone and never had anyone complain. One neighbor came up once to see that I was shooting in a safe direction, but other than that, nothing".  He said "yeah, I told her you were just enjoying country life and that there was nothing I could do. All the guns legal?"  I said "yes, they are.  A couple rifles, a few pistols and we have permits for all of them."  I also told him he could give my name and cell phone to whomever was complaining and if they wanted discuss it, I'd be happy to.  I know I have the right to shoot, but I don't want to piss anyone off either, and if all they want is for me to not shoot on a Sunday evening, I don't have a problem with that.  Anyway, that was about it and he left.  Never checked our guns (had no right to) nor our permits.  Completely friendly and clearly annoyed at the woman for wasting his time.

But I have to say, I'm a bit pissed.  Why call the cops and waste their time chasing down a completely legal activity?  Wouldn't you politely ask the neighbor to stop an activity first, and if THAT failed, THEN escalate?  I mean I've never heard form this person before...EVER.  So incredibly ignorant.  If this person ever calls, I'll listen and make some concessions on when I shoot, I have no problem with that, and I'm a pretty agreeable person.  But if they don't call?  I'll be shooting again on a Sunday "night" if I so choose.  And I'm willing to bet I'll never hear directly from this person.  Will she call the cops next time I shoot?  Who cares?  :-)  I'm within my rights, and the cops (at least this one!) are CLEARLY "on my side" on this one as well.  She really should move.  Problem solved. ;-)

I feel better now, needed to vent.

Zhe Wiz

• Like 5

while I agree with your right to shoot this needs clearing up:

"AND I shoot behind the house, so all the shooting is blocked form the neighbors by either my house or plenty of trees."

your shooting is "blocked by your house" would imply you're shooting in the direction of your house.

"shooting blocked by plenty of trees" doesn't say anything about the line of fire or what's behind that line.

while I agree with your right to shoot this needs clearing up:

"AND I shoot behind the house, so all the shooting is blocked form the neighbors by either my house or plenty of trees."

your shooting is "blocked by your house" would imply you're shooting in the direction of your house.

"shooting blocked by plenty of trees" doesn't say anything about the line of fire or what's behind that line.

While I can understand your misinterpretation (I wasn't clear), it's just that - a misinterpretation.

I was referring to the sound of my shots being blocked by my house and trees.  Not the bullets!  :-)  I shoot off the back porch of my house.  Behind my house is an upward slope.  200 yards to the trees, then it continues up (to a level much higher than the roof of my two story house) with about 300 yards of hardwoods until state land which is the top of the hill, way above my house.  Bottom line, i'm shooting into the ground, with a backdrop of more trees growing an a relatively steep hill.  Even if there were a ricochet, the only thing in danger are my trees and the ground they are planted in.  To give an idea of how steep the slope is, I'm shooting at a 3 foot target.  If I miss over the TOP of the target, the bullet hole is probably about 20-30 yards past the target at most.

OR, watch this video.  This gives you an idea of what I'm shooting at:  

You can only see the beginning of the trees at the time I shoot the coyote, but the slope continues up and gets even steeper after the trees start.

Zhe Wiz

Edited by Zhe Wiz
  • Like 2

I really want to say I bet she was up from Ithaca - haha just kidding.

Friend of mine has a lease near Dryden, more like Harford good Turkey hunting there.

No you're not...and you're probably exactly right!!!  :-)

Zhe Wiz

Sorry to hear about the hassle. Hopefully it was an isolated incident.

I hope so, and I will certainly test that theory!  Not to be malicious, but one of the reasons I bought this house was how perfect it was for shooting and hunting.  I grew up on a dairy farm, and I really missed the space and the freedom (but not the work!)  I love being able to shoot here and will continue to do so.  I'll respect other people's desire for peace and quiet, but for God's sake, ASK ME, don't call the cops!  Totally unnecessary.

Zhe Wiz

Maybe  the reason the person called the cops first was because he/she didn't want to get near some crazy, can't be trusted, gun shooting nut like we all are here!!  JK. lol   Sounds like the perfect spot have fun & enjoy your shooting !

• Like 1

Some times it's all timing. The neighbor in the past is in the right frame of mind when you shoot, this time they are pissed off at something or even just don't feel well. Calling the police is the easiest way out, not saying right, just easiest. 

I live across the road from a large stocked pheasant preserve and on Saturday and Sunday mornings there are plenty of shotgun blasts in the distance. Had a relative over once and he asks me why I don't call the police. I looked and him and just shook my head and laughed before I said he needed to get back to the city quick.

I've had friendly conversations with some of the club members and they are really nice guys. A few have said they were sorry if it was a disturbance early in the morning but I always inform them that the preserve was there long before I was and it does not bother me in the least.

Maybe the best way to figure this out with your neighbor is to simply reiterate your request to inform you if they feel your shooting is a disturbance. Of course you legally are in the right and calling the police was a crappy thing to do. Keeping neutral non shooters from becoming anti shooting is a plus all around though.

I also try to maintain good neighborly relations and always phone our closest neighbors when I plan on using the backyard shooting range. It's not necessary on the range on top of the hill, but I know that first shot can be a bit startling when everything is dead quiet. So I just give them a friendly heads-up.

This is why I bought a 4.3 acres of land that my land surrounded on 3 sides. I am protecting my hunting and shooting rights. Would hate to have someone anti or city person buy it and then complain about me hunting or shooting on my own property. The 500 ft rule could have been a headache on part of my property. I own a house I rent out on my property and any potential tenants I inform them even before they look at the property that I hunt, and do hunt the land right behind the rental house. I am not going to shoot my at my rental house, but if I jump a nice deer near it I will shot it.

Sounds like you did everything right and are also willing to go above and beyond by corresponding with neighbors and not shooting at particular times etc. What more can you do. And you even stated that you shot respectfully unlike some neighboring properties by me with idiots doing 30rd mag dumps on Sunday mornings which I have to say the one and only good thing about the Safe act is that I don't hear that anymore.

So I wouldn't worry about it as she will get tired of calling the Troopers and them having to tell her there's nothing they can do.

The problem with this situation is that now she has lost a dispute to you. This may be the beginning to  a vendetta where she will be looking for things to harass you with from now on. Nothing worse than neighbor problems.

The problem with this situation is that now she has lost a dispute to you. This may be the beginning to  a vendetta where she will be looking for things to harass you with from now on. Nothing worse than neighbor problems.

A dispute I never knew existed and one I never was given an opportunity to resolve.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the person I think it is would decline. She's in her 80's and only goes out to fetch the mail as far as I can tell. Her immediate neighbor takes pretty good care of her.

Eh, not much to worry about then.

Let it go and just have fun shooting.

But I have to say, I'm a bit pissed.  Why call the cops and waste their time chasing down a completely legal activity?  Wouldn't you politely ask the neighbor to stop an activity first, and if THAT failed, THEN escalate?  I mean I've never heard form this person before...EVER.  So incredibly ignorant.  If this person ever calls, I'll listen and make some concessions on when I shoot, I have no problem with that, and I'm a pretty agreeable person.  But if they don't call?  I'll be shooting again on a Sunday "night" if I so choose.  And I'm willing to bet I'll never hear directly from this person.  Will she call the cops next time I shoot?  Who cares?  :-)  I'm within my rights, and the cops (at least this one!) are CLEARLY "on my side" on this one as well.  She really should move.  Problem solved. ;-)

I feel better now, needed to vent.

Zhe Wiz

Playing devils advocate. I'm not sure any single elderly female would feel comfortable pulling up to a house in the country where a bunch of guys from the country are shooting guns and ask them to stop.

My parents have a neighbor who shoot all the time, for long periods of time. Multiple guys. We wonder what they must be spending on ammo. We're gun owners and sight in guns on occasion too, but there is little that is more annoying than trying to enjoy a cold one on your deck on a beautiful day with guns going off. Maybe the only thing worse is a chain saw or dirt bikes.

you don't sound like a bad guy, but there are those who are out there that are.

Edited by Belo

Playing devils advocate. I'm not sure any single elderly female would feel comfortable pulling up to a house in the country where a bunch of guys from the country are shooting guns and ask them to stop.

My parents have a neighbor who shoot all the time, for long periods of time. Multiple guys. We wonder what they must be spending on ammo. We're gun owners and sight in guns on occasion too, but there is little that is more annoying than trying to enjoy a cold one on your deck on a beautiful day with guns going off. Maybe the only thing worse is a chain saw or dirt bikes.

you don't sound like a bad guy, but there are those who are out there that are.

good point, maybe it had nothing to do with the guns at all, but more to do with the noise.........what is reasonable and tolerated by some may not be considered the same by the next person.............in my area, it's perfectly legal to blast music from 8 a.m. till 11 p.m most days, might not be annoying to the person having the party, but I'm sure the guy who wasn't invited may think otherwise.

I love fireworks. Don't bother me in the least, but we had a neighbor once a week let off a good bang. Never would I call in this ILLEGAL activity because i'm not that guy. But having to deal with a pissed off wife who is trying to put your newborn son down for a nap makes me waver a bit.

Legal or not, I think it's flat out rude to shoot dozens upon dozens of rounds, if you are situated in close proximity to other homes.  Maybe if you live 1/2 mile or more from another house, you could go at it, but in most areas in NYS, that isn't the case.  I would excuse an occasional sighting in session, or what not, but shooting hours on end is unacceptable.  If you like to shoot a lot, find yourself a shooting range and shoot there.  Disturbing the peace with loud blasts around peoples homes won't make you a hero to very many, other than to those of a similar uncaring, I do what I want mindset.

Happened to me once, same deal.. Shooting into a 40 footx100 foot  dirt mound on a sod farm.  Cops pull up, said they had a complaint. My buddy has his then girlfirend along who happened to be an attorney. I walked up to them nicely and they said they had a complaint. I said, guns are all legal, were shooting into that backstop, 1/4 mile from nearest house or road, and my attorney is over there waiting to shoot that rifle if there is any problem.  

I got a laugh from the cops and off they went.