Ticks

Paula

Isn't there a special breed of tick that carries the lyme disease? I've always seen it described as kind of tiny and not all that easy to spot. I'm not sure that some of those bigger ones on deer are really the lyme carrying culprits. Anybody know if there are only certain kinds of ticks involved with lyme disease or are they all capable of transmitting the disease?

I buy the happy jack kennel dip at tractor supply. 

Doc,  supposedly the deer tick is the one that carries the lyme virus, unlike the common wood tick (dog tick) which is quite large and easy to spot the deer tick is very small and hard to see or feel crawling on you.

I buy the happy jack kennel dip at tractor supply. 

Doc,  supposedly the deer tick is the one that carries the lyme virus, unlike the common wood tick (dog tick) which is quite large and easy to spot the deer tick is very small and hard to see or feel crawling on you.

Ok, that's pretty much what I thought I had heard (read). So, is it possible that the dog tick can carry lyme disease at all? In other words, is any cause for concern if you find one of those gnawing on you?

• 2 weeks later...

FastEddie I saw that clip. This weekend i went turkey and had one on me. It bit me but it wasnt really in. Dont know how to describe but i started the antibiotics to be safe. They are very annoying and to have to be worried just Sucks!!!

Don't put it directly on you, and don't put on clothing you have treated with it while it is still wet.

Follow the directions on the bottle.  It is a pre-treatment.  Spray down your hunting/hiking cloths generously and then let them dry for a day or so.  It should last all of turkey season, and then some.

Sawyer's is good and it is ready to go off the shelf.  I learned of a recipe from a PA hunting forum that uses Permitherin(active ingredient) diluted in water.  I don't have the recipe handy but it's just a bit cheaper than buying the Sawyers.  Tractor Supply carries Sawyers and also the Permitherin, which is used on horses.  In archery season I hang my clothes in the shed and spray, spray, spray a few days before the season opener.  I also do my socks and boots.  So far, so good.

I remember reading tricks for getting them to back out without risking the head detaching inside. Anybody have them?

Actually you don't want to do anything that makes the tick back out. Anything you do to irritate the tick greatly increases the chances that it will regurgitate. By this I mean that they will essentially put some backwash into your bloodstream, which will also greatly increase the chance for Lyme and other tick-borne disease.

So whenever you read about methods to get them to let go, avoid! Don't mess with those methods.

The best thing is to get a tool for pulling them, or use a loop of fishing line. Create a slip knot and loop it over the tick. You want to get it as close to your skin as possible before pulling it tight. It should be pulled tight between the head and body of the tick. This will keep it from regurgitating. Use slow, steady pulling to pull the tick out (don't tug, just pull slowly but firmly). Most of the time the head will come out this way too but sometimes you will need the tweezers for it.

Tick pulling tools work similarly and are easier, if you can get one. Less fiddly.

i think both I had in me were only for a few minutes as they didn't appear to have even gotten past the skin so I'm not too worried at this point but it is frustrating and scary. I'm watching both spots carefully for any rash or redness/bullseye. I know that's not foolproof but it'll have to do.

Bought some bug b gone to spray the lawn as well.

Went out last evening to scout and area I haven't hunted in a few years because I haven't had much luck with the turkey's and I'm new to it. When I got home I had one crawling on my hand. Normally when I come out of there during deer season I have atleast 10 crawling on me. I hate ticks with a passion.

Edited by noahmstone