My nerves got the best of me.

First-light

I passed on that nice 8 pt two days ago hoping for something bigger. Had a mishap last night with a much larger buck which would of been my biggest bow buck. Ok so I head out this morning. Great morning for sure . In stand and look up to my food plots and see a giant buck. Biggest deer of my life. He starts walking through the plot and hits one of my logging roads. I see him messing with a rub but I hear another deer. It's a doe headed right for me. That is what he was following she turns and heads east 20 yards below me. I'm ready the buck starts to move and does the same thing. I'm full dram for about a half minute I need two more steps. He commits and the arrow flys right under him. I feel like my follow through sucked and I dropped the bow. She ran for a ways back to food plots and he trotted off after her. I don't think he was spooked. My brother has a 140 buck mounted at my cabin. This deer was much bigger. You probably think I was crazy but I think it might push 160. Rack has 10 perfect point that are long, has mass and spread. I'll call him the "once in a life time buck" he was that big. I hung for another 2 hrs and had two more bucks chasing does. Here is a video of a small guy chasing. BTW in the video you see a small creek. The buck I missed was on the side closest to me. I'm frustrated at myself for these screw ups. I guess it's what keeps us coming back. Be safe guys, Bucks are on their feet!

• Like 9

Funny thing when we mess up on big bucks , 15 or so years later we remember it like it was yesterday. I have 3 big bucks I couldn’t seal the deal on and remember it easily .  Best of luck … 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3