TURKEY REPORTS - SPRING 2014

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

Maybe its time to take the not so nice approach and call mr green jeans. Its apparent he isnt listening to you, multiple people have said get off the land, and whats even worse is his kid is learning its ok to trespass.

your absolutely right, this was his last warning. next time im calling dec

Hit em a tiny bit back from where I intended but I saw that he was really hurtin but trying to get away.  I cut him off using my Loggingtrail and got within 30 yards and fired a clear body shot  I nocked another got up to about 10 yards and buried another in him... I went back to get three more arrows and had to sink all two of them into this guys neck to finish him

whew 5 shots! lol

At least you sealed the deal, but I think it's more productive and equally funny to try and catch that sucker by hand!

Going out today for third day in a row. Yesterday after the wind kicked up in 7p had to call it quits. Not only couldnt hear i was afraid of getting hit on head by a galling tree branch.

Was s

Caught in between a fired up cutting hen and a hened up tom gobbling his head off. Fun for half hour or so but no sightings.

Lovely day in 9H. Quiet as the grave tho...

Enjoy the great morning, good luck....I had very good action this time of day this season.

I heard very little this weekend but the birds were all around me and receptive to occasional light to moderate calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Have had numerous contacts, haven't been able to seal the deal. I'm learning a lot in my rookie year, but this weather has been garbage. Yea that's it, the weather is the reason I haven't harvested my first bird!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well you know the saying roosted aint roasted. How true. My brother and i go out this morning and sit over a little clearing between are 2 clover plots. Just as it is getting light and i am getting ready to owl hoot they sound off. 4 or 5 ( jakes probably by the way they gobbled.). Gobbled 40 to 50 times on the roost which happened to be 120 yards away. Well i gave them some tree yelps and did a fly down simulation with my hat and they went crazy. Flew down but not to us They went into the clover plot and gobbled like crazy at everything and stayed there the entire 1/2 hour till they walked off at 615. Crazy. Dont think there was a hen with them but could t pull them to us. And no fences of streams to block their path. Crazy and bery cool.

Back out at it again until noon.

Story and pics to come later. Just finished typing last message and yelped a few times on a slate and heard a gobble. 5 min later hes flopping. As i standing on my birds neck i see 3 jales down a logging road about 85 yards away so hit the deck and start cutting. Trying to get one for my brother. As i am calling to them 3 other sound off and come up. Another 5 min later and another one is flopping.

• Like 3

8F...Had a couple gobbling from the roost but at fly down they went the opposite direction on some other posted property.  Later, I called in a couple hens and about 15 minutes later I finally had one in range this season but no shot.  Called in a jake and passed on him at about 35 yards ... I'll prob regret doing that and was kicking myself after he was gone.  Also saw a fox and 5 deer today. 

Had one going for about an hour this morning in 7A. He wouldn't cross a swamp. Sounded like a mature bird. I also called in a coyote and saw 4 deer. Great morning!

Ah you get to hunt him again. Bittersweet problem to have. Love when it gets personal. Had deer foot stomping and snorting at me other morning. Every year I catch a coyote trying to sneak in ...............   Good luck and enjoy the hunt(s) on that bird. 

• Like 1

Here are the pics to go with my previous post.  One of the coolest days hunting in my life not only just turkey hunting.  Get to our spot after the episode with the jakes this morning.  After that run around (as previously posted) we go back to the house to warm up a little as it was 42 degrees and windy.  Head back out at about 9:45 am and just as I finishing updating my post on here, about the morning hunt, I cut a few times with a slate call and a gobbler sounds off.  A couple minutes later and after another call he cuts me off.  Getting closer each time.  

He gets to about 25 yards and stops.  Although intending to let my brother shoot first, he is at an angle where he cant see the bird.  He came in strutting in the sun in a logging road and spitting and drumming.  He then got a little closer and after not seeing a hen he putts once loud and that was it, I dropped him because I wasn't taking any chances.   

Mossberg 835 at 25 yards with 3.5 inch Longbeard #5 shot dropped in his tracks. 

post-374-0-75825100-1399332789_thumb.jpg

So after the shot I walk over to my bird and he starts flopping a little so I stand on his neck.  As I am doing this I see 3 jakes cross the logging road that I am standing on, about 85 plus yards away.  Once they cross I hit the dirt and start calling trying to get one closer for my brother as he never shot a spring gobbler in his life.  I call a few times and then maybe on the 3rd or 4th series of yelps we hear 2 gobble in the same location where my bird came from.  So I lay flat in the mud on my belly behind a log because they are close and coming fast.  They get to about 35 yards and my brother drops one.  The 2 others left in a hurry and these weren't even the 3 jakes I saw cross the logging road earlier. 

post-374-0-64504500-1399333009_thumb.jpg

Doubled up in a matter of 10 minutes or so.  Great time. post-374-0-72094800-1399333040_thumb.jpg

My bird is on the left.  Weighed in right around 20 pounds, had a 8.75 inch beard and 1 1/8 in sharp spurs.  My brothers was a smaller bird, not a jake had a full fan, an 8.5 inch beard and 3/4inch spurs.   

Edited by agross
  • Like 4

Back in the blind in 7j seeking bird 2.

32, calm, clear, light frost...feels like deer season.

Bumped two roosted right over my blind on the way in...got a hell of a gobble out of the one.

Edited by Meat Manager

Just gorgeous out here...seems like the plants are leafing out right before my eyes:

ezequpev.jpg

y6y8azed.jpg

Fired up the mad hatchet and caught some movement in the distance on my logging trail plot, ended up being a couple of whitetails munchin my fresh greens...if only it was fall!

Edited by Meat Manager

Haven't seen or heard a turkey since I bumped those two roosted above my blind first thing this am.

Another couple hours in the barronett and then I'm off to finish turning over my forage plot 1.

Edited by Meat Manager

Called one in yesterday. He came in so fast I wasn't expecting him and he busted me at 30 yards. went back this morning and nothing. These are short hunts before work. Really looking forward to this weekend.

Getting my coffee and headed out in a bit. Won $100 bucks on a $5 scratchoff yesterday so maybe my luck will continue today! Yesterday both my grandma and my fiance ended up in the emergency room at the same time. So it was a lonnnngggg day to say the least. Few hours to hunt before work and im feeling good about it!

• Like 1

I've been super busy with work so although it's drizzling out, I'm gearing up for my first turkey hunt of the year. I've hunted in way worse conditions. I'm in dire need of some time alone in the woods and by-golly it's gonna happen today!

• Like 1

I'm just gonna keep it under 20 yds and go for the neckshot from now on. Either a miss or rapidly fatal hit that way. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick out one feather & aim for it .  It took me 3 misses before I realized what I was doing wrong. Got the 4th!