TURKEY REPORTS - SPRING 2014

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

She told me last night she wasn't sure if she can shoot a animal yet,so the plan is she wants to still come with me because she loves going out(I know this is true because she doesn't give me a bit of problem getting out of bed at 4 am when we hunt and anyone with teenagers knows that getting the typical teen up before 9 am might be a act of the Lord himself!!!!LOL) and she wants me to get a bird when she is there to see how she feels.Thats fine by me,I wouldn't want her to do something that she may regret in the future.

I killed a nice bird opening day. Had the next day off and didn't go because my 11 year old daughter wasn't able to go. She lives for being out there with me. I didn't want to tag out before she even got a chance to go with me. Last Sunday we had limited action but this Saturday we had numerous birds ripping. Big boy and a hen hung up just out a little too far for me toting her youth 20 gauge. I got busted peeing later in morning by silent strutter coming to decoy. She thanked me so many times for taking her. I WILL NOT go without her now. Our next hurrah is Sunday the 25th and Memorial day. Although maybe I should  I have numerous chances to go myself but won't. Teaching and experiencing the woods with her is what it's become all about to me.She takes her hunter safety class this fall and can't wait til she can topple over a bird with me. It is amazing how quick kids can move when they want to. She was dressed and ready in literally 2 minutes. Keep enjoying the woods with her regardless if she wants to pull the trigger or not. 

• Like 6

been a rough season so far over here in 4b. tons of gobbling from the roost then gets real quiet every morning. my dekes keep scaring them away so I retired them for the season. haven't been responding to calls either until this morning. had to switch it up today and go run and gun through the woods. finally induced a gobble with some soft clucks around 10am. problem was he was across the creek which is the property line that I'm not suppose to cross. called him in from at least 200yrds away across the neighbor's field. came right up to the creek but there was no place for him to cross. had him strutting and gobbling like crazy but he wasn't getting his feet wet. really wish I had ran upstream before calling him in where there is a big tree that fell across the creek but he came in so fast that I didn't have the chance. nice bird too, probably a 8 or 9 inch beard. it's too bad that I actually respect the neighbor's property and didn't just trespass on his land like some other d-bags in the area. wouldn't have been legal but I would have a bird in my freezer.

• Like 1

She told me last night she wasn't sure if she can shoot a animal yet,so the plan is she wants to still come with me because she loves going out(I know this is true because she doesn't give me a bit of problem getting out of bed at 4 am when we hunt and anyone with teenagers knows that getting the typical teen up before 9 am might be a act of the Lord himself!!!!LOL) and she wants me to get a bird when she is there to see how she feels.Thats fine by me,I wouldn't want her to do something that she may regret in the future.

Put one down and see how she reacts.She will me either be happy for you or upset.

Time will tell. M30

Edited by lurking

3 gobbling today. First was as I walked in, stopped waited for light called but he would not come in. 2nd one started a ways away in woods.

Later moved to a blind as I heard another over that way,he was. 500 yards away on an open green hill he came down to,edge of my field but would not cross,gobbled for an hour. Finally he got a hen to come to him.

I killed a nice bird opening day. Had the next day off and didn't go because my 11 year old daughter wasn't able to go. She lives for being out there with me. I didn't want to tag out before she even got a chance to go with me. Last Sunday we had limited action but this Saturday we had numerous birds ripping. Big boy and a hen hung up just out a little too far for me toting her youth 20 gauge. I got busted peeing later in morning by silent strutter coming to decoy. She thanked me so many times for taking her. I WILL NOT go without her now. Our next hurrah is Sunday the 25th and Memorial day. Although maybe I should  I have numerous chances to go myself but won't. Teaching and experiencing the woods with her is what it's become all about to me.She takes her hunter safety class this fall and can't wait til she can topple over a bird with me. It is amazing how quick kids can move when they want to. She was dressed and ready in literally 2 minutes. Keep enjoying the woods with her regardless if she wants to pull the trigger or not. 

Thats the plan,She said she wants to go back out but she wants to make sure they are as close as we can get them.She is very scared of wounding a bird is all.

Hunted late yesterday......heavy rain early.  Saw two adults with hens in a huge field.  Blind love..............

Freaking black flies were UNREAL.  Hot and unbearable humidity.

Maybe in a few days they'll be ready to strike up with me??

• Like 2

Was a wet day yesterday to say the least. Went in blind mode, safer area after the first strike at 5:20. H ad a nice  pair, which  turned into a full house. Nice tom 20 feet from the blind, finger on the trigger, safety on. I watched in dismay as he walked away into the brush line, You see, this one got  his beard  shaved, right down to the pelleted  breast meat.  Needless to say, I chewed my mouth call in half. Watched the rain fall and sanded my wood.

Regrouped this am., back to seeing hens.

Been pretty dead around me since opening day. Very little gobbling and I have seen just two toms. No shots. The farmer started working the fields, close to the woods, so I have been hitting the other side of the property, same results. I think they're still with the hens pretty good. Hoping the hens start giving them the cold shoulder soon.

Went out this AM got in the woods they usually roost in at 5, had 6 hens fly down right in my lap, they called non stop for almost 1 hour, not a gobbler with them. Said screw this and went to work. I'll save the vacation day for latter. 

Turkeyfeathers and Machinist, Thank you so much for what you do for your daughters, respectively. I felt the same way as your daughter does, Turkeyfeathers, and was more excited about going hunting with my dad than I ever was for things like birthdays etc. He used to take me even when I was too young to know better and sit still.. tromping around in the woods with my Sesame Street boots on and so forth. I'm sure I busted us on several of our hunts back then. My dad's patience and care in taking me out and teaching me about the woods and critters-- not just the ones we hunt-- instilled a livelong passion in me for hunting, conservation, and respect for nature.

I was also very concerned about the chance of wounding an animal when I started (I am still concerned that I only make a good shot but not scared silly like I used to be as a child), and my dad was very patient with me as I worked up the courage to shoot my first squirrel, then my first turkey, then my first deer...

So, thank you, from someone who has been where your daughters are at now.

• Like 2

Hi I'm new to this. Name is vic,I was wondering anybody living in Dutchess County ny or anybody seen any turkeys in Dutchess County the last time I was in Dutchess County I went to cranberry mountain heard of couple hens I believe I saw Jake on a tree other than that that little bastard would not come down from the tree but the hens were eating food and Grubs. has anyone seen anything, I've been through four public land in Dutchess County California hills,cranberry,Ninham Mountain and big buck. nothing at all