TURKEY REPORTS - SPRING 2014

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

heard nothing off of roost this AM. 6:00 heard a gobble behind me, starting calling and he hammered back. gave it a few minutes and then yelped again and he cut me off double gobbling his head off. Came in at full strut 5 minutes later he was in my lap with two hens and now in the back of my truck. Only bird I heard all morning. 

• Like 7

Shock gobbled birds at 9:15. 3 longbirds came running at first 3 note yelp. They hung up at 80 yards and boogied. Hung out for awhile and a couple of purrs brought them back. Shot a nice 2 year old. Other two kicked the crud out of him while he was down Two more guys and we could have tripled.

• Like 3

Heard one gobble just before first light in 8f. Kicking myself because i think i had enough time prior to maybe move in on him. Hunted til 830 at one spot, then another til noon. Saw 2 raccoons and a possum. Dad had one working at his place in 8j but mustve had hens as he went the other way still gobbling. Buddy hunted 8p this morning, heard a few on the roost and they shut down as soon as they hit the ground. Turned out to be a decent morning weatherwise. Thinking tomorow im going back to the first spot and see if that bird is still there!

Don't turkey hunt much. Took a buddy to show him my spot as I'm letting him hunt there

this year. We got there around 9 00 today ,no guns or calls just a walk. We saw 5 long beards by 9 30!

One with a hen in the field we walk in. Walked through woods,saw 4 nice ones altogether in the field the other side of the woods.

Plus one fox and 4 deer. Oh and a hen on the way out.

Needless to say he's pumped to come back and hunt .nobody else hunts my spot and there are giant plowed fields separating it from anyone nearby .

He's one of those in the woods before dawn guys, I told him that's nice I get in sometime between 8 and 9 , seems to work around here.i may even go,out next week .

Edited by Larry302

I didn't hunt the NY opener this year, I'm heading up Memorial Day weekend. But a buddy called from my camp in West Almond (Allegany/9P). Him & his boy both killed jakes this morning, both came in silently. He claimed that they heard gobbles up the mountain at daybreak, so that's their plan for tomorrow.

Got in late this morning, but not too late. Nothing on the roost at all, and nothing until 9:30 when we were heading back for some breakfast. Heard a gobble as I’m getting in the truck. Turned around and headed back in. Ended up seeing 4 or 5 jakes, a big tom, and a number of hens. Chased them around the rest of the morning. Not a bad opener.

This rain is something else. (9H). Had a bird coming at me right off the roost. Was getting closer and closer then silence, then a shotgun blast from his direction. DAMN! Did I mention this rain is something else?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Just got down to my spot in Putnam County. Waiting for my partner to get here so we can get into our spot. Wish me luck on my first turkey hunt.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So my first turkey hunt ended with one tom taken by my cousin and nothing for me. We were set up and called in a group of four Jakes. I was all set when one got within about 20 yards but kept hoping for a better shot. Well as you can guess my waiting resulted in me not getting a shot. My cousin kept calling but at that point they had head off. About 4 minutes later a tom comes walking in about 50 yards from me. He was a totally silent and never came in closer and I watched him disappear too. To my cousins credit he kept calling and calling hoping to get those Jakes back. I heard them gobbling and they seemed to be headed back and BOOM a shot rings out to my right. Next thing I see is that same tom from a few minutes ago down. Turns out he snuck back out silently and was only about 15 yards from my cousin. Nice bird 18.5 lbs with 8.5 inch beard and 7/8 inch spurs.

We kept falling for a while longer but birds never came back within range. Although I am disappointed with myself for not taking my shot, I cannot believe how exhilarating the hunt was. When those first birds came in and I was watching them get closer and closer I could hear my heart beating. So much adrenaline was pumping that I know I am hooked now. Hoping to get back out tomorrow morning and this time the first clear shot I get I am taking!

• Like 1