TURKEY REPORTS - SPRING 2014

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

Called in 5 jakes. Didn't have any great shots because they were to the right. Came to about 25 yrds though. Not sure if I'd have taken one either way. They were all pretty young.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Good action...

Nothing here so far, if I get a bearded one inside 20 I'm gonna send an arrow to the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a couple come in to about 50 yards, got henned up tho. I was mimicking the hens like crazy but no luck. Hopefully they'll come back to here after they're done with those two hussies!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Had a couple come in to about 50 yards, got henned up tho. I was mimicking the hens like crazy but no luck. Hopefully they'll come back to here after they're done with those two hussies!

You're on track by mimicking the hens. If I hear them/her yelp and know she's with the longbeard I'll duplicate it with one more. Ex she yelps 3x ,I'll yelp 4x   If you get her PO'd enough she'll come in and bring the clan with her. Good luck

All quiet on the western front. I don't tbink the bird I was chasing 2 weeks ago made it

I by no means would assume that unless perhaps it's heavily hunted public land. And at that point he maybe shutting down as he's been called at numerous times and or spooked a bunch. My brother had 8 strutters in the field the other day. Massive fight ensued. They we're ripping all morning. Just got text this morning. Not a gobble. This is private land. Birds react differently every day. Persistence pays off. Which makes it fun

Quiet and gorgeous here in 7j.

Nature called around 8:45 so I hit the latrine and then got my truck out of the mud.

Back in the blind after resetting my hen...gonna stick it out for the duration.

I brought along 6 lbs of mixed clovers and a hand broadcaster to overseed my plots at noon.

Edited by Meat Manager

Well one came back but same thing. I just can't get them to close the distance. I know I'm a beginner but it's getting discouraging. I've been near some 15 birds since opening day. Still no tag punched. I've tried calling softly when they're close, I've hammered on it, I've gone dead silent, ugh frustrated frustrated.

• Like 1

Well one came back but same thing. I just can't get them to close the distance. I know I'm a beginner but it's getting discouraging. I've been near some 15 birds since opening day. Still no tag punched. I've tried calling softly when they're close, I've hammered on it, I've gone dead silent, ugh frustrated frustrated.

Sounds like they may be picking up your movement...don't know.

Use minimal motion, and make it slow and fluid...cheer up you got good action and nice hunting weather.

Edited by Meat Manager

quiet here in 7J/Niles area. heared 2 this am between 5:30am and 6:00am at about 100 yrds or so but both moved off in the other direction without either one getting any closer. heared a shot around 7:30 or so off to the south of me but that was all for excitement i had. i did see two doe with one of them with a fawn in tow but they where too far for my cammera to do it any justice. par for the couarse i guess.... when i see em they are way out of range..........and when i hear em.......... the same lol. hitting it again in the am. like i tell my wife...... "Aint gonna see nothing if ya aint out there"

There is no magic formula. You need more experience with reading birds. Once you get that, you wont even have to think much about it when you work a bird. You can always be dumbfounded, i still do get skunked by a hot bird, but your success rate will increase.

Are you bowhunting them? get out of the blind if not. Heck, i dont even use a blind when i bowhunt them. Mouth call, full camo, bow. All you need.

Run and gun them. I love making a gobble all fired up because the "hen" keeps moving around. Its particularly deadly when I use a gobbler call.

If it was easy most of us wouldn't do it. Hang in there. Sounds like you're putting your time in. It'll happen when you least expect it

If you're calling in birds successfully and they are just hanging up I wouldn't run and gun . Try some soft purrs(and I mean soft. softer than you think you should be) and scratching in the leaves. Are you running decoys?

Edited by turkeyfeathers

If he is having trouble with the last committment, the birds are either seeing something they dont like (decoys, you moving in the blind) or they arent seeing the bird. If you are sitting in a blind, the bird knows where the sounds are coming from.

Ive always found the way to trick that gobbler the last 50 yards is to shut up and let his curiousity kill him.

I agree with ditching the blind if your not bow hunting. Also, many disagree, but if your using decoys, stop. I try to get something between me and the bird and about 35 yards from me if I can. That way he has to clear it before he thinks he should be able to see a hen. By then he is already in range. If he thinks a hen can see him he might not come in the rest of the way. Fallen trees, wall of brush, or peak of a knoll are what I mean by something that blocks their view. Only bad thing is that it blocks yours too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks good tips all around. I am bow hunting that's why I'm in the blind. I know for certain they are not seeing me. I had a hen 5 yards in front of me last Saturday going bananas over my dekes. Never saw me. She called in 6 males that were 30 yards behind me but wouldn't commit to where the hen was. (She left 5 minutes before those 6 came into view)

I've also been in the timber the last couple times. That's where I'm getting the most action. Just off a game trail. Basically I'm setup with my back to them, dekes in front of me so if they commit they walk right passed me. I'm getting these birds 25-30 yards away from the decoys so I think either do away with them or setup like terry said. Get something between me and them. My only worry without using the dekes in the timber is still getting them to come in front of the blind so I have a shot.

Edited by 34NY

Lol my buddy who's been hunting 30 years says buy a shotgun. All his advice pertains to run n gun. I refuse. Its either bow or nothing, that's what I committed to. Just personal preference. Im prior MP, have shot guns my whole life and just don't think it challenging. The timber I'm in is basic NY open woods if you know what I mean. I can be unseen but drawing on one is a different story.

It does make sense tho that they're seeing my dekes (even if I don't think they are) waiting for the hen to come to them and when she doesn't they're just getting bored and leaving...like I said in my previous post I'm just concerned they won't come passed the blind to look for the "hen" but I suppose if I'm not sealing the deal with the way I'm doing it now, it can't hurt to try without them

went to Lyndon/Cuba yesterday nothing at first light, 10:00 got a hen cranked up and sure enough a gobbler followed. Worked them both for an hour, he hung up at about 40 yds. behind a blow down and couldn't get a shot,the hen finally lead him off. I followed and got the act started again at 11:45, damn had to walk away at noon. It was fun anyway. This morning I went back to 9f , 3hens on the roost no gobblers again. Had to give it up too much to do today.