TURKEY REPORTS - SPRING 2014

TurkeyHuntPA_NY

Not much today. A lone gobble early around 6:30 then nothing until 8:30ish. Got two hens going from different directions, but they met away from me and walked off. Got me to thinking that one of them might have had a gobbler with her and didn't want to walk over and share. All in all a good weekend in the woods. Now its time to roost them at night until Thursday AM.

6P, 5 or so gobblers on the roost hammering from 5:30 - 6:50. Fought with a hen and had her come in to 10 yards. I was getting tired of mimicking her and Im sure she was tired of it too, was about 45 minutes straight of back and forth, me cutting her off, one upping her.

thick swampy hardwoods. made the move to put a sneak on them. Turned out that only three jakes were left hanging around a hen. Got behind a big oak and the hen came looking for me. Dragged the jakes along. Dropped a Jake with a neckshot (not intentional, dropped in his tracks, i was shooting a standard slick trick). Happy to have connected with the bow. Shotgun time next.

2nd hunt this season but they were gobbling good both times. I guess I've been lucky.

Still very henned up.

• Like 2

Have only heard one gobble (far, far away, haha!) so far this season, but I can normally only hunt on weekends. I'm in 9x. I haven't heard any hens (or guys!) yapping either. I stay patient and hope maybe one will come in silently but so far not a feather. It's okay, I have to say this has been the least buggy year in memory so far (at least where I am) so the woods are very enjoyable even without turkeys talking to me.

• Like 1

Tried 2 more areas that haven't been in yet in Sterling Forest (3P). One on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

Saturday someone took two quick shots around 10 - saw nothing and heard nothing until headed home.  4 miles down the road had a gobbler cross the paved road in front of me at 12:15. this was near a golf course and peoples homes.  No place to hunt there.

Sunday, I tried the ridge above where I was the morning before - saw just a pair of hawks sharing a tree.

Monday my wife got called in to work substituting - she sends me pics of three bearded gobblers on the playground.

My wife and kids are starting to think I just go out and sleep in the woods or something.  At least I have evidence that I went out - muddy truck & boots and bug bites on my face and the scent of bug repellant. 

It is close to the point where I only get a pre-frozen bird again.  Seems like I only see them when they are out of season.

went to little valley this morning didn't hear any at sunup so I started run and gun, got a gobble at 7ish he gobbled to the crows and every time i tried to get close he would move away. I assume he was with hens. Saw a single hen on the way back to my truck. went back out after coffee at 8:30 and nothing.. at 11:30 I decided to head back to truck, tried 1 last call on the way out and got a response!  11:55 longbeard down!!  Unbelievable how fast it can happen. 

Edited by gonehntn
  • Like 5

went to little valley this morning didn't hear any at sunup so I started run and gun, got a gobble at 7ish he gobbled to the crows and every time i tried to get close he would move away. I assume he was with hens. Saw a single hen on the way back to my truck. went back out after coffee at 8:30 and nothing.. at 11:30 I decided to head back to truck, tried 1 last call on the way out and got a response! 11:55 longbeard down!! Unbelievable how fast it can happen.

Sweet! Hard work pays off once again, not surprisingly.

Pics?

Tried 2 more areas that haven't been in yet in Sterling Forest (3P). One on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

Saturday someone took two quick shots around 10 - saw nothing and heard nothing until headed home.  4 miles down the road had a gobbler cross the paved road in front of me at 12:15. this was near a golf course and peoples homes.  No place to hunt there.

Sunday, I tried the ridge above where I was the morning before - saw just a pair of hawks sharing a tree.

Monday my wife got called in to work substituting - she sends me pics of three bearded gobblers on the playground.

My wife and kids are starting to think I just go out and sleep in the woods or something.  At least I have evidence that I went out - muddy truck & boots and bug bites on my face and the scent of bug repellant. 

It is close to the point where I only get a pre-frozen bird again.  Seems like I only see them when they are out of season.

Hey Two Track, sounds like you were back by Eagle Valley? There is a parking spot there and I believe that a lot of the left hand side of the road there (when heading towards the Tuxedo Park gates) is huntable. I don't have the map in front of me though. I was up that way on Sunday late AM, but there were two trucks parked already.

Out of curiosity where in Sterling have you been trying out? I have been spending a few days back off Ironwood Dr/Hogsback. Got a nice bird there Sunday of opening weekend, and called in some jakes as well. Also have seen some sign behind the mulch plant but haven't done much hunting back there yet.

6P yesterday.

roosting area i have known for 8 years, always holds birds. Have heard 20+ roosting there in years past.

Yesterday...4. I think it was 4 gobblers. Didn't hear any hens. They also only gobbled 5 times in the span of 45 minutes. I have never heard it that quiet. Had geese and crows making a racket and literally no shock gobbling. Very Very strange. Also had an owl sound off around 445 and no shock gobbles.

Im actually very surprised.

Anyway, got lucky and had a bird gobble about 100 yards away, called once, he gobbled again 5 minutes later. Came right in to the jake decoy, dead at 6:03am.

Solid 3 year old. 20lbs, 1.25 inch spurs, 8 inch beard. Looks like his beard got broken this winter.

I felt very lucky my season is over. I pray for the turkey population to recover.

Driving back, fields that normally had birds galore, devoid of anything. I think i saw one bird way off on a field edge.

Hopefully the spring hatch is good and predation is at a minimum but my hopes are not high after what I saw.

Almost had bird 2 this morning, they are not being too cooperative. Had 2 jakes and a longbeard come in this morning silent after a few gobbles off roost. Saw my deke and went running for the hills. Very frustrated. Getting to the point where I'm going to have to start patterning them and not call. Getting to be like hunting deer. That's late season for ya.

Edited by rotorooter23