Turkey Decoys?

THHuntNY

DSD decoys are unreal. Deer, turkey, you name it. DSD is just about as real as it gets.

The price tag reflects it. Hard to justify that kind of cost for it to get beat up. I'd cringe if I owned the buck decoy and a spry 2.5 yr old let into it.

I've been using Feather Flex for years.  They are easy to set up and convenient to carry and I really don't think the toms are that particular about detail. 

I just acquired a DSD decoy which I won and it is very true to life in detail.  Only problem is that it isn't collapsible and will be a bit of a pain to carry.  I hunt mountain birds and the less I can carry the better off I am.  With that being said I will put it to use at some point this season...probably when my nephew is with me so he can carry it!! :spiteful:

as with any turkey hunting tool, in the right circumstances those decoys will work.  sometimes you can see a gobbler zero in on the decoy and strut right in, sometimes you will see them look at the decoy and vanish. Depending on pressure some gobblers will become very decoy shy especially when they look at a decoy that is not moving around naturally. Rarely will you see a live wild turkey stand in one spot essetially motionless for an extended period of time and generally speaking if a wild turkey stands upright without moving for an extended period of time t means they are looking at potential danger.

I used decoys up till about 10-15 years ago until the turkey hunting crazy started and there were more decoys in the woods than live birds. i had several gobblers coming in hot but when they saw the decoys ( I only used a pair or single hens) they spooked. I started leaving the decoys in the vest and concentrated more on my set up locations and still killed birds. Today I don't even carry a decoy anymore and have no problem killing birds every year.

As far as a jake or gobbler decoy I will never hunt with one, doesn't matter if its public or private land, with what I have witnessed first hand from people stalking in on my location even having people stalk in on hen decoys! I would never put a legal target in front of me in turkey season.. If someone else wishes to thats their choice but I am not going to be anywhere near it.  With spring gobbler season being such an audible style of hunting people just can not stand hearing a bird gobbling on private posted  land and a lot of times they will jsut walk past posted signs. I never think I am the only one hunting a gobbling bird, the more they gobble the more attention they draw to themselves.

which ever way you choose to go either using them or not good luck, if you use that gobbler decoy be very carefull of your set up, both location and surrounding. hunt smart, hunt defensively, and most of all hunt safe and good luck

• Like 3

Just following up to my post last night about the decoys I bought. This is how they look. Kinda cheesy. But they should do the trick righ? I don't know really how I'm gonna set them up yet. Probably a lone hen. Maybe both hens. I'll be setting them up in a field. Any advice on how I should set them up?

Thanks

post-5088-13982910748128_thumb.jpg

I use two hen decoys.  I try to position the hens to face away from the direction I'm expecting the gobbler to come from to give the appearance that they're not super interested in him and he's going to have to come to them if he wants any action ... with one hen facing directly away and one hen facing kind of perpendicular to the first about 3 - 5 yards apart from each other...(Kind of like one facing 12:00 and one facing 3:00 this way an approaching gobbler gets a full view of at least one decoy body)  Don't know if this is best but it's what I use and seems to work for me.

As far as the jake decoy, never used one but I have heard that it should be facing the direction that you expect the gobbler to come from because he will eventually face the decoy to confront it turning his back to the hunter for any final gun adjustments if needed or to draw a bow.

Good Luck!  

Edited by JALA RUT

as with any turkey hunting tool, in the right circumstances those decoys will work.  sometimes you can see a gobbler zero in on the decoy and strut right in, sometimes you will see them look at the decoy and vanish. Depending on pressure some gobblers will become very decoy shy especially when they look at a decoy that is not moving around naturally. Rarely will you see a live wild turkey stand in one spot essetially motionless for an extended period of time and generally speaking if a wild turkey stands upright without moving for an extended period of time t means they are looking at potential danger.

I used decoys up till about 10-15 years ago until the turkey hunting crazy started and there were more decoys in the woods than live birds. i had several gobblers coming in hot but when they saw the decoys ( I only used a pair or single hens) they spooked. I started leaving the decoys in the vest and concentrated more on my set up locations and still killed birds. Today I don't even carry a decoy anymore and have no problem killing birds every year.

As far as a jake or gobbler decoy I will never hunt with one, doesn't matter if its public or private land, with what I have witnessed first hand from people stalking in on my location even having people stalk in on hen decoys! I would never put a legal target in front of me in turkey season.. If someone else wishes to thats their choice but I am not going to be anywhere near it.  With spring gobbler season being such an audible style of hunting people just can not stand hearing a bird gobbling on private posted  land and a lot of times they will jsut walk past posted signs. I never think I am the only one hunting a gobbling bird, the more they gobble the more attention they draw to themselves.

which ever way you choose to go either using them or not good luck, if you use that gobbler decoy be very carefull of your set up, both location and surrounding. hunt smart, hunt defensively, and most of all hunt safe and good luck

Same here...Never had so many poacher encounters than when I got my own lease!!

Guys just just cant stand a hard gobbling bird and will ignore posted signs,parked trucks,red flags,smoke signals whatever!

I would be very careful on public land with a gobbler or jake decoy

My experience with decoys usually ends with a pressured bird scared away

My son killed a gobbler over my decoy his first season hunting alone... go figure!

Killed more without a decoy yet still pack em in the truck every season.

I own a jake and hen Avian Decoys, and all I can say is they are worth every penny I spent on them. Just the show and how close and unspooked that gobbler came in the other day for my daughter was amazing. The big old gobbler was getting ready to thumb my decoy just before she shot him. All I can say is when the turkeys spot my Avian Decoys, its like they are on a string being pulled right to them.

I own a jake and hen Avian Decoys, and all I can say is they are worth every penny I spent on them. Just the show and how close and unspooked that gobbler came in the other day for my daughter was amazing. The big old gobbler was getting ready to thumb my decoy just before she shot him. All I can say is when the turkeys spot my Avian Decoys, its like they are on a string being pulled right to them.

I agree 100% them avian x decoys are unreal, I've had hens pop down in front of my jake waiting to be bred

I've always been cheap, so cheap dekes it was, I've had longbeards on a dead run, stop once they seen my old decoys, I've also killed a lot of birds with cheap decoys,

however, once you have the extra cash, buy the good ones, I've seen a dozen birds killed this morning over Avian X

I've killed a lot of birds over the stick your hand in the foam ones to give them shape , insert stake Never scared off any birds I'm aware of. Daughter bought me a DSD hen for Christmas. Called in 3 birds that strutted all around that one today. Ones now in the freezer. They all work IMO

anyone ever try using a full strut mature Tom decoy? I bought one a few years ago and never used it, I'm concerned it may scare off younger birds...and I'm not opposed to shooting Jakes, so don't want to mess up any potential opportunities. 

I'm pretty new to turkey hunting and I bought a set of Avian decoys- a jake and two hens.  I used them this weekend and had great results.  I called in a Tom.  The dekes were only visible to the bird when he got to about 30 yards.  But, when he saw them, he came straight in strutting.  My buddy blew the easy 15yard shot, but that's not the decoy's fault.

anyone ever try using a full strut mature Tom decoy? I bought one a few years ago and never used it, I'm concerned it may scare off younger birds...and I'm not opposed to shooting Jakes, so don't want to mess up any potential opportunities.

I have the flextone thunder chicken and its a strut style. Bought it on sale and have yet to use it. Im in the same boat where i think it may scare birds off more than call them in. Right now its got a real jake fan on it and a beard of a bird i shot a few years ago. Its mounted on the wall lol. I may give it a whirl an see whag happens Edited by TeeBugg