Winchester 243 how good or bad for deer and range

phantom

17 minutes ago, phade said:

Anecdote is all we have in either direction. He has alot of insights for sure but I am curious of the average hunting experience by caliber. As 243 is more often a starter caliber for alot of people, it may stand to reason that lesser experienced hunters are using it and more prone to poor shot placement, choice of projectile, etc. So many what ifs across the board but I don't think a .243 is as bad as people make it out to be.

I think you are correct and this is exactly why I don't think a .243 is a good choice for the beginning hunter.  In my opinion it's more of a caliber for an experienced shooter who will be more likely to place the bullet where it's supposed to be put.  You can't always count on a beginner to do that, thus calibers beginning at 7mm-08 and up are much better choices in my opinion.  I had my 14 year old son start hunting with a 50 year old Ruger .30-06 that I inherited from a late uncle. I surely wasn't going to spend money on another rifle that I know would do a poorer job.  He had no problem learning to shoot it and so far hasn't missed any deer he has shot at with it.  Calibers between 7mm-08 and .30-06 don't exactly kick ones brains out.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I think you are correct and this is exactly why I don't think a .243 is a good choice for the beginning hunter.  In my opinion it's more of a caliber for an experienced shooter who will be more likely to place the bullet where it's supposed to be put.  You can't always count on a beginner to do that, thus calibers beginning at 7mm-08 and up are much better choices in my opinion.  I had my 14 year old son start hunting with a 50 year old Ruger .30-06 that I inherited from a late uncle. I surely wasn't going to spend money on another rifle that I know would do a poorer job.  He had no problem learning to shoot it and so far hasn't missed any deer he has shot at with it.  Calibers between 7mm-08 and .30-06 don't exactly kick ones brains out.

Thats what i started on my fathers 30-06  About same age .

Edited by phantom

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

But a 7mm 08 does all that and better and no more recoil. No advantage for all those with a .243. It doesn't ruin meat cause your shooting 95 grains. And if you read above others state it ruins meat due to speed. Its very light for a whitetail in my opinion. Makes zero sense to me but to each their own. A .22 mag will also kill a deer but why would you buy one for that when there are superior options for the same price, weight, recoil as the .243.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

7mm-08 may just be THE perfect whitetail round. Very little recoil. And will drop them even when off just a bit. Good to go out to 300+ yards. 

But if the OP has a good deal lined up for a rifle that would fit for his daughter? Go for it! Run a deer weight bullet. Have that youngster spend a "BUNCH" of time shooting that 243. And said youngster will have no problem whatsoever killing their first deer with that 243.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

A high velocity impact from a .243 at close range will ruin plenty of meat, especially if it's a shoulder hit.  I always opt for a neck shot with a .243 at close range.

Again you and others on this site have hunted and shot a lot.. unfortunately the average hunter does not.. many experianced hunters go smaller amd more primitive to make it a challenge to themselves.. they can tout how great it is but  then people listen think they can do it as well. There was a 20ga turkey gun fad in the early 90s as the nwtf staff pushed the gun on it tv shows and to other hunting show creators..  went boom and then bust.. many went back to 12ga.  Happens to Rifle calibers as well.  Some stick many do not.. .222 was a fad and dissappeared. 22 hornet... ect   

2 hours ago, mowin said:

And so will a 270, 06 ect, except it keeps going and ruins the opposite shoulder too. 

Either way you ruined a shoulder or two. 

Dont aim for shoulder  always pop lungs.  No meat loss unless you really clean up ribs....

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Wow then what about 223? Which for some reason they love to hunt with up in alaska the natives . I guess its all about markmenship in the end, And the right bullet 

Again experianced hunters  proper bullet and shot placement are necessary..  a bigger caliber lends some forgiveness  to this.  You wont see a 7mm08, 30-30- 308 or 30 06 skip off a bone ...  most injuries on deer that are recaptured on camera i can find on internet all all .243    heck fred bear killed every animal with a recurve so why should we use a compound?? Perhaps its more forgiving ?? 

11 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Again experianced hunters  proper bullet and shot placement are necessary..  a bigger caliber lends some forgiveness  to this.  You wont see a 7mm08, 30-30- 308 or 30 06 skip off a bone ...  most injuries on deer that are recaptured on camera i can find on internet all all .243    heck fred bear killed every animal with a recurve so why should we use a compound?? Perhaps its more forgiving ?? 

Yep all true  let me ask you this if you wanted light compact gun thats  not going to be used in places that shots on deer  are all under 100 yards what would go with 44 mag 30-30  7.62 x 39? 

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yep all true  let me ask you this if you wanted light compact gun thats  not going to be used in places that shots on deer  are all under 100 yards what would go with 44 mag 30-30  7.62 x 39? 

Have you thought about 350 legend it’s ammo also seems more available than .243 currently. 

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

My favorite light short rang gun is a 45-70.  Out of what you offered id take a 30 30 single shot henry rifle. 

If one looks at the guys here who use one, they’re by and large accomplished hunters , probably good shots , with an understanding of anatomy, bullet selection, when to take a shot and when not to .

But the masses seem to pick it because “ it’s light and doesn’t kick much” , good for their wives , kids and democratic friends , but don’t factor in  all the other factors ,and hence the issues .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yep but have not seen much around  Lately

I see it all over and I figured being that Ohio is a straight wall cartridge that maybe why. But when I was in Walmart in PA buying a hunting license the shelf’s where stacked with 350L. Twice as much 350L than .308 and no .243 which seems limited if I see a box on occasion. Might still be a geographic thing though. 

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Again you and others on this site have hunted and shot a lot.. unfortunately the average hunter does not.. many experianced hunters go smaller amd more primitive to make it a challenge to themselves.. they can tout how great it is but  then people listen think they can do it as well. There was a 20ga turkey gun fad in the early 90s as the nwtf staff pushed the gun on it tv shows and to other hunting show creators..  went boom and then bust.. many went back to 12ga.  Happens to Rifle calibers as well.  Some stick many do not.. .222 was a fad and dissappeared. 22 hornet... ect   

You or someone else who  has shot lots of  deer with lots of  Different  small calibers should make a list from worst to best Interesting to see what you come up with  . Or if its out there already post it .

Edited by phantom

4 hours ago, RangerClay said:

Read the very next paragraph.  Exactly what I just typed an hour ago.  Use the proper bullet and it is a fine deer rifle.

Read it and the entire book yearly . The problem seems to be the masses don’t , and the tracking calls come in , en masse . 

• Like 1